First time handgun owner - Ruger LCP2 issue (help!)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NewGunner

Bearcat
I have read online that people use PMC Bronze 380 ammo without much failure in their Ruger LCP 2 pistol. However... I purchased a couple of boxes of it, and one of Horn. Crit Defense (suggestion of dealer to use both). Excited to try out my new gun, I read the manual and loaded it with the PMC Bronze ammo to take it out for a few shots. The gun was loaded, for sure, but when I pulled the trigger nothing happened. It dry-fired fine, but when I had the PMC Bronze in it... it might as well have been a toy gun. So, I tried the Horn. Crit Defense ammo (expecting the same thing, but prepared nonetheless). Boom! It fired as intended. My question is, is it common for a Ruger LCP2 to have issues with certain brands? If so, which FMJ ammo should I use next time? I have a CCL class in a month and I need to make sure I have working ammo. Or, does it seem the gun is defective? I hope I don't sound too stupid, but I'm new to this (hence my username) :) Thank you!

reloader

Single-Sixer
A longtime ago...back in the '80's I think, I bought some PMC ammo because it was inexpensive. There were many rounds that wouldn't fire. I saved them and pulled them apart and reloaded them and they worked fine. The brass lasts a long time through many reloads so it wasn't a waste of money, but I'd never buy that brand again. For self defense ammo I recommend only brand new USA manufactured ammo. Just make sure you test it in your gun to make sure it works before you trust it. Never had any problems with Hornady, CCI/Speer, Federal, Remington, or Winchester.

Try two more brands of ammo and see what happens. As you realize, it should not happen... but there is a chance it is bad ammo and if so that would be a good thing.....it's easy to overanalyze all the problems that can be with the gun (in this case it would be the firing pin) but it would be a lot easier solution if it was just bad ammo.

NewGunner

Bearcat
Thanks for your responses! I'll give a couple more brands a try. I'll hope for the easy solution :) Just felt bad when the first box I tried didn't work. On a slightly nonrelated topic, what are your thoughts about the Ruger American 9mm?

My opinion is that a semi-auto pistol should fire and cycle any brand of ammo and if there is problem it should be with the ammo and not the pistol. With that said, you read here of problems (specifically here with Rugers because this is a Ruger forum).... handguns are just machines and most of them are mass produced and with that you will get duds... how good the manufacturing is and quality control will determine how often.... and also sometimes the retail price.

My suggestion if you have to send the LCP back to Ruger and need a handgun to qualify and can't borrow and practice with... then buy used and I would go with a standard sized handgun....

Oh, and welcome to the Ruger forum.

salaguinto

Bearcat
Hard primers on the PMC? Try Hornady, Speer gold dots and premium brands like Underwood or Buffalo Bore.

louchia

Single-Sixer
When you pull the trigger, do you hear a click. This would be the hammer striking the firing pin. If you hear a click, next is to check if there is a imprint on the primer indicating that the pin did strike the primer. If you never heard a click, it may be that the slide did not go into battery, did not completely close. If open even a small amount, the gun will not fire.
I use PMC very often. Never an issue.
As said , try different ammo.
Next, call Ruger.
Welcome to the forum.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
NewGunner said:
I have read online that people use PMC Bronze 380 ammo without much failure in their Ruger LCP 2 pistol. However... I purchased a couple of boxes of it, and one of Horn. Crit Defense (suggestion of dealer to use both). Excited to try out my new gun, I read the manual and loaded it with the PMC Bronze ammo to take it out for a few shots. The gun was loaded, for sure, but when I pulled the trigger nothing happened. It dry-fired fine, but when I had the PMC Bronze in it... it might as well have been a toy gun. So, I tried the Horn. Crit Defense ammo (expecting the same thing, but prepared nonetheless). Boom! It fired as intended. My question is, is it common for a Ruger LCP2 to have issues with certain brands? If so, which FMJ ammo should I use next time? I have a CCL class in a month and I need to make sure I have working ammo. Or, does it seem the gun is defective? I hope I don't sound too stupid, but I'm new to this (hence my username) :) Thank you!

Newgunner,
I would contact Ruger, and make arrangements to send the LCP2 back for evaluation.
My LCP eats anything.
Blackie

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
Did you clean and oil the gun before shooting it? Did you try the PMC again after the Hornadys?

That's where I'd start with a good cleaning. Ruger's generally come from the factory needing a good cleaning. Then try the PMC again. If you are still having a problem then it's time to dig a little deeper. If you have a CCW class in a month that doesn't give you much time if it has to go back to Ruger in Prescott.
It might be the ammo but I'm more adapted to believe it's the gun with issues.
Good luck getting it resolved in time and with your class.

NewGunner

Bearcat
Thanks so much for all the helpful suggestions. I will try them all over the weekend and if worse comes to worse, I'm able to rent a gun from the armory providing the class. Would just much prefer to use my own. I honestly hadn't even thought of cleaning a new gun, so hopefully that's the case. I'll let y'all know how it goes after I do all of your suggestions.

PM9

Bearcat
Hawkeye nailed it. Your gun should fire ANY 380 ammo you choose to use. If it does not call Ruger.
Admittedly, I choose not to use steel or aluminum cased ammo but that is my choice.
My new LCP II was giving me a failure to extract about 1 in 25 shots. Same with all mags and a variety of ammo. I called Ruger and explained I was an instructor and was aware of all the shooter errors that could cause this problem. I sent the gun in and 10 days later I had it back with an entirely new complete slide assembly. Now that little sucker performs like it should. Love that little fella and it gets a lot of carry time.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
It may be an ammo issue, it may be the gun itself or it may be new operator error.

Try some other ammo brands and see what happens. I have always had good results from PMC ammo in 9mm, 380 ACP, 38 SPL, 45 ACP and 44 Mag.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I agree with the majority here. Call Ruger and ask them about it. I avoid cheap and foreign ammunition in any of my guns, which are mostly Rugers. I have excellent results and generally no misfires. I suggest that regarding ammunition, Buy American!

Also, take a strong grip on such a small pistol. Do not let your wrist flip or the firearm move in your hand.

I love the LCP too. I carry mine all the time, everywhere I go and have confidence in it. Check it out with Ruger before you start going in five different directions. Good Luck!