Ruger P97 DC trigger reset trouble/ FIXED!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Hello all! This is my first post on this forum. I had asked the question on another forum and got no response, sooo.... am going to put it out here and cross my fingers.

Bought a P97 DC (about a month ago) that has a sticky trigger on reset. It sometimes returns if I release the trigger immediately after firing or if I flick the trigger a bit. No reset issue when the magazine is removed, so I know the trigger bar spring is rubbing the mag some. What I don't know is if something else is compounding the issue. No issues with feed or ejection (except some really old ball ammo got stovepiped and a few did not fire after primers were struck). Gun shoots pretty good all around.

The mags are Ruger and correct for the model. I ordered a new trigger bar spring in case is is misaligned. Had it all apart and tried to put extra spring in the trigger bar spring to see if I could coax the trigger along, but to no avail.

Any ideas other than ship back to Ruger?

roylt

Hunter
Could be a clearance issue on the parts and when the mag is inserted the stack up of tolerance is the issue.
Is the trigger bar bent?
Does it happen with an empty mag, dry firing the gun?

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Thanks for your post Hunter.

Trigger bar not bent. Does not occur with mag out and dry firing. Replaced old trigger bar spring with new today and made the problem worse!. Put the old trigger bar spring back in (made sure it wasn't bent as well). I have it now so that with quick release of trigger, trigger returns, but of course that's unacceptable for utilizing reset for followup shots. So am wondering if the stacking issue involves the bar not clearing the hammer upon return?

Went ahead and started stoning (ultra fine Arkansas stone) the trigger bar in a few places showing some wear to see if just a friction problem. Helped a small bit. No cure though.

Still looking for internet sources, too. Not much I've found. I enjoy problem solving so I don't mind tinkering a while. Keep any suggestions coming.

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Wondering if the trigger bar is getting hung up on Blocker safety lever on the return? I'll look at that closer :roll:

The Blocker safety lever and sear are factory fitted, but I don't think the trigger bar is necessarily. Just checked, and the trigger bar is factory fitted. Maybe previous owner replaced or changes something out. The slide got cerakoted and that's all I know.

I really don't have a clue, but it might be worth it to call Ruger and send it to them.... that way it will be right... assuming they don't have a problem with the previous work on it.... consult with some better informed folks here first to make sure you aren't digging yourself a hole.

hittman

Staff member
A call to Ruger wouldn't hurt but doubt they're servicing the P-series guns any longer. Regardless, a phone call to them would be in order ..... or a local gunsmith.

roylt

Hunter
There isn't much that can stop the trigger from resetting really. How clean is the gun? Old lube can get hard and sticky. Do you have REM oil handy? Spray the whole thing down. and see if everything is loose and pivots freely.

Is there any wear mark on the side of the mags?

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Hunter, I thoroughly stripped and cleaned when I bought it, only the mag release was left intact when I stripped. I am going to use a small dentist mirror today after work and shine some good light in there and see if I can see where it gets hung up on. I've heard of burs on grips of the P90 but these grips are integral:however, could be a burr on the plastic frame in there or a gouge that holds it up on return. I will check for clearances also.

I won't dispute the good cleaning approach, just know that I've got all the moving parts wiped and cleaned from before. Cleaning is maybe 90% of all issues from what I've read, but something in there is slowing down the return.

No marks on stainless mags or sign of rubbing that I can see. The recess for the trigger bar spring also looks clean and unobstructed when all the internal parts are pulled out, so it appears there is room for the compression and release of the trigger bar spring ok.

Lonestone1

Bearcat
PS I also did some light sanding in the trigger housing due to the trigger cerakote finish maybe making it a bit tighter for the trigger to move back and forth. Also, as stated previously, done some stoning polishing of trigger contacts to see if the cerakote was an issue. I had to do that with My Smith and Wesson Shield when I fitted the Apex trigger/duty carry kit in it.

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Good news for anyone reading this. The ejector plate was rubbing a bit of a high place on the trigger bar. Some 600 grit on the trigger bar and some Flitz on my Dremel buffer smoothed it out just enough for the trigger bar to slip past the ejector plate. When the mag is inserted into the pistol, the trigger does reset upon slow release after hammer falls, albeit still a little rough. I expect more could be taken off there. I also filed the edge of the ejector plate on the side rubbing trigger bar.

Here's the thing though. It is damn tight in that P97 handle with the trigger bar spring design that it is, the mag is tighter than h3ll, with very little recess built into the handle for the coiled trigger bar spring to flex even a little up against the magazine. Squeezing the plastic handle too hard puts even more pressure on the thumb side and compresses handle right into the magazine creating some of the trigger reset laxity.

Thanks to all for great suggestions. Happy shooting.

cavediver27

Bearcat
I wish I had a clue of how to help you but I simply don't. I have a KP97DC that I bought new 15 years ago and it is one of the most reliable and accurate pistols I own. I sure hope you get it figured out!

roylt

Hunter
So your grip when shooting makes the handle of the gun compress? I say loosen up a bit. Of course I'm not a great shot. HAHA

ruger357

Bearcat
If i may can i add a comment its my understanding one should not dry fire a model 97 or is that a model 345 has something to do with the mag safety feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Update. P-97 still not behaving properly as I thought. So off to Ruger in Prescott in went yesterday. Will let you all know how that fares. Hopefully, it is a simple enough fix, if not I may have to give it up.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Please come back and close out the thread with a resolution, hopefully, of the problem. My understanding is the reputation of these guns is good. Cerakote clearance issue? Good Luck.

Lonestone1

Bearcat
I will most certainly report back once Ruger has diagnosed the issue(s). Clearly, I am hoping for an easy fix, but remember these pistols are discontinued and they (Ruger) will only do so much depending on the problem. Ruger received my P-97 today and most likely will email me Monday with an update and possible cost to fix. The worst case scenario is....pick another gun from us and we'll spot you $$$ for yours. Right now, I'm only in it for $30 round trip ship. What a deal.

Anybody out there with a P-97 or other P series that isn't quite right?

Cheers!

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Well, Ruger has had my P-97 since Friday late afternoon and still not a peep out of them. I'm still hopeful it is an easy fix.

Was wondering if anyone out there ever had a soldering iron used to stipple a polymer frame before and found that the heat produced was enough to warp a plastic handle ? Tripping on the notion that my frame (yep, stippled with what appears to be a plain soldering tool or iron) may have something to do with why my trigger bar does not ride against the frame and seat in the groove within the handle like it should.

Feedback?

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Ruger (Arizona) has shipped my P-97 and no charges have been sent to me, yet. I will receive it Sunday or Monday. Will let all know if a description of the work is included with the pistol (which I would expect).

Latest posts