LCP CUSTOM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DEVIL DOG

Bearcat
Was offered a like new LCP Custom for a great price. I had a Gen 1 LCP I bought in 2010. Anything I need to know about this new model? Does it take different mags from the original? Only came with one so I want to pick up a couple more. Pro Mags OK?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I'd think the magazines would be okay, the only difference I've read in magazines is between the LCP I and LCP II. The magazine follower is different, but that's a different gun.

As far as the Pro Mags, definitely not okay, particularly in the LCP in any version. Multiple and continuous complaints about feeding problems all over the web with these.

PM9

Bearcat
I am not an owner of the custom but basically it is a slightly different trigger. As far as the mags go, I would not buy anything but Ruger mags. It is a SD gun so how many do you really need? I have three for my LCP II and that should be a lifetime supply for me.

DEVIL DOG

Bearcat
Normally, when I carried the LCP, I had a flush mag in the gun & 2 in a pouch on my weak side.

I hate loading mags at the range. 5 is what I try to have for each hand gun.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
DEVIL DOG said:
Normally, when I carried the LCP, I had a flush mag in the gun & 2 in a pouch on my weak side.

I hate loading mags at the range. 5 is what I try to have for each hand gun.

I do the same. I get at least 4 magazines for each gun. And somehow I actually enjoy shooting these guns others claim to hate firing at the range. Partially due to necessity because I do not have many firearms and none are expensive range guns.

You make your own fun in life and work with what you have. :D

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I'll up the ante and say that I like to have at least enough mags to load one 50 round box of target ammo so I can save time while at the range. That's a bare minimum. For some like my SR 9 I have enough mags to load up 250 rounds for a range trip.

As for the LCP Custom, I sold my original LCP to fund the price of a new LCP Custom and I am more than pleased with it. The Custom has usable sights and a far superior trigger. I'm not one to focus on the looks of a gun too much but I do like the red trigger on the custom.

As for ProMags, I have had good luck with them in my Hi Point Carbine and 3 32 round mags for my 9E. All have functioned well as have my father's who has some for his Sig P226. ProMag has a very spotty reputation and many have sworn them off. I would use ProMags for the range but never employ them for daily carry...especially 32 round stick mags.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Ruger replaced a defective LCPII for a Custom LCP.
I like it and feel allot safer with the Custom then I did w/ the LCPII.
The Custom uses the same mags as a very early LCP I have. I can't say about the LCPII's mags. The one I had went to Ruger when they swapped it out with the Custom at my request plus they agreed to 2 extra mags to sweeten the pot a little to make up for the difference in the LCPII's and the Customs price.

DEVIL DOG

Bearcat
Cleaned & lubed the gun today. Took advantage of the front sight on the Custom & drilled it out for a fiber optic tube. Turned out good, plus my old eyes need all the help I can give them.

DEVIL DOG

Bearcat
Took the little Elsie to the range this morning. I have 2 factory mags coming, but for now I bought 2 ProMags at the range. Had them & some others on special, $16.99+TAX. For some reason the P.M.'s would not seat with the slide down. Had to lock it open to get the mag to seat. The OEM worked flawlessly. Ran a box of FMJ through her without issue. At 15' this gun is very accurate & consistent.

The trigger still leaves a lot to be desired, but better than the GEN l. The fiber optic sight is great. Really easy to do. I have plenty of extra tube if anyone is interested in trying to do it.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
MY LCP is also a gen 1. I have carried it and practiced with it for several years and have confidence in it. I use only Ruger mags in it. I see no reason to purchase magazines from another source just to save a few $. Wherever I make my purchases I buy Ruger. People are always talking about triggers on these firearms. I have many Rugers and no issues with the triggers. My philosophy is to learn the trigger that comes on the firearm and then use it. So many people do not realize that if you are in some kind of combat situation, the trigger is the least of your worries. If you know your firearm you can fight with it.

WildWes

Bearcat
DEVIL DOG said:
Took the little Elsie to the range this morning. I have 2 factory mags coming, but for now I bought 2 ProMags at the range. Had them & some others on special, $16.99+TAX. For some reason the P.M.'s would not seat with the slide down. Had to lock it open to get the mag to seat. The OEM worked flawlessly. Ran a box of FMJ through her without issue. At 15' this gun is very accurate & consistent.

The trigger still leaves a lot to be desired, but better than the GEN l. The fiber optic sight is great. Really easy to do. I have plenty of extra tube if anyone is interested in trying to do it.
My LCP Custom also had a poor trigger (stiff and gritty) pull. Replaced it with a RTK Sweet Pea III trigger. Love it now.