My Only Peeve of the P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan51

Bearcat
I have a problem with pulling back the hammer on the P95. The grooves on the hammer are fine, but for me, they need to extend to the top of the hammer.
The slick area always causes me to think, 'Grrrrr' every time I try to pull it back.
I don't always like to use the double action on he 1st shot. When I carry it, or at the range, I'd like to start off on single action.

Does any other 95 owners experience this? Any suggestions other than racking the slide?

I never noticed that ... until you just mentioned it and I took mine out and it is a little bit of thing I guess... the problem with racking the slide is you will eject a live round if there is already one in the chamber...

The P89 has the same hammer and I was thinking my Sig p226 has to be better but when I actually compared all of them... they are really kind of the same....

Dan51

Bearcat
The problem for me is the way the hammer is designed. The round area is rounded w/ grooves, then the 'plateau' and vertical portions are slick as owl snot.
If the hammer had been completely round, I believe, it would be best.
Like this one............

ZlopU9r.jpg

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
If the hammer had a spur on it, it could catch on clothing. I can put up with a little inconvenience
on the range, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, I want "Smooth".
Blackie

roylt

Hunter
You can always get out a little file and make it the way you want.

KingCobra

Bearcat
its simple. I have done this for years to all double action pistols/revolvers I own. When you grab your handgun you put your trigger finger on the trigger and thumb on the hammer. Pull the trigger about 1/6 of a pull at the same time you use your thumb on the hammer to pull it back. This will allow you to "cock" the pistol very easily. I have done this for years with absolutely no accidents and if you have any kind of "gun sense" you wont either. Your goal is to pull the trigger just enough to make the hammer come back enough to assist your thumb in this action. By the time the hammer is on its way back (by your thumb), your trigger finger should be in the safe position outside the trigger guard (not touching the trigger at all). Try it and let me know what you think.

KingCobra,

I understand what you are saying, but I think it is a bad idea.... you are violating one of the 4 cardinal rules of safe gun handling..... your finger is on the trigger. This should only be done when you have the target in line with the sights and have decided to shoot.

Dan51

Bearcat
For me, it's not a matter of lack of strength in my hand. I have no problem with any other pistol I own in pulling the hammer
back. It's the design of the hammer itself. Ruger could have done a better job in designing it.
The area shown contributes nothing to aid in the hammer pull.

J76ooOr.jpg