Problems with Ruger SR40 C

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lobo74

Bearcat
I have a Ruger SR40 and 40c purchased in that order 5 or six years ago. Last week I took the 40c which is my carry gun to the range for some practice. Loaded 4 15 rd mags of Winchester white box 165 FMJ. Lots of misfires (light strikes) i guess you would say. I think on average about 3 per mag. I reloaded all misfires and they eventually all fired. So I wasn't sure if it was an ammo problem or gun problem. Did a little research watched some you tube and decided to clean the striker. No problems getting it out or getting it back in. Picked up a couple of boxes of Federal Champion 180 gr FMJ. Went to the range tonight. 2 mags of federal 2 of WWB. Shot the first mag with winchester. Ejection problems. It would eject the spent round, load the new round but the trigger would not be cocked. I would say 3 ejections like that on first mag. Fired the next mag with the federal. All 15 rounds no issues. Thought it was ammo problem and the gun was acquitted. Fired the next mag with WWB same problem same frequency. Fired the next Federal mag ut oh same problem. Same problem. I than fired the 9 round mag that I carry with PDX1 ammo. Same problem. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Update
Okay, so I came home from work today and cleaned the 40c. Did not take out the striker. Also, I sprayed down the mechanisms in the frame pretty well. But dried things off afterwards. I did leave everything a little wetter than the last time. Went to the range. Here were my results. 4 15 round mags. 1st mag was 10 165 fmj WWB topped off by 5 federal 180 gr fmj. 5 shots and the trigger did not recock. As before it had ejected the last fired round and loaded a new one. Dropped the mag, took out the round from the chamber and put it back in the mag. 10 following shots no problems. 2nd mag was 15 rds of the federal. All 15 fired without issue. 3rd mag 15 rds of the WWB. 1st round misfired or light striked. Dropped the mag ejected the round and put it back in the mag. 15 rds fired no problem. 4th mag WWB FMJ. All rounds fired without any issues. So I also brought along some WWB 180 gr JHP that I had. I planned on using this for my carry ammo if the gun was working okay. I shot 2 9 round mags without issue. Loaded another 9 in the mag and went home. So what does everyone think. Do I still have an issue. Ok let me take that back, does the gun still have an issue? Does anyone think this could all be ammo related? Thanks again for any feedback.

hittman

Staff member
It should go back to Ruger.

You have enough confidence in it to carry it? I wouldn't.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
i remove my striker and clean the channel every time i shoot.
after cleaning, alcohol with a q-tip and DRY.
my Sr's never fail.
have you detail stripped you pistol?

exavid

Hunter
My SR40c hasn't had an issue in the three years I've had it. Quite a few rounds through it was well. I use it in Bullseye practice (now called Precision Shooting). It's one of my favorites, accurate, easy on the hand and so far fool proof.

KYhunter

Bearcat
Sorry for the late post but am a new member. I have a SR45 and have had the same issue. Can see on YouTube and in other posts it is both a known and common problem. Poor design or engineering. I see people blaming the gun cleanliness or reloads or what factory rounds or brand of ammo. The gun design is the issue. Many have either sent the pistol back a few times for failure to fire or feed or eject etc and most get a heavier striker spring and new internal parts. Just keep being persistent with Ruger and they will fix it or after a few returns request a replacement. Good luck. KY