3" to the left... ? duh!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, a couple weeks ago I go to my gun range with two of my Ruger P95's and my Sig P226.... shooting at about 15 ft I'm 3" to the left and so I adjust all three pistol rear sights over to the right and get everything pretty much on center... then later on that night I'm looking at one of those correction targets that shows what you are doing wrong that causes a round to hit off center...and I start thinking.. how could all three pistols shoot the same to the left? Chances are it was how I was holding the pistols that caused this... and so I go back today and shoot the Sig with it sitting on a pillow... yep... everything is to the right ....... So, I knock the rear sight back over to line everything back up... was shooting at 50ft today. Trying to get the Sig right for the class I'm headed to the first of Dec.

Mike J

Hunter
You thought about it & corrected it some folks wouldn't. I wish you the best with your class. I am sure you will do well.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I always assume that first that the firearm is not at fault, and play around a great deal with trigger technique and such before I adjust anything. And the problem is usually me. It seemed that my new Ruger American Compact 9mm was shooting low to the left and it was just my trigger technique. Today I focused on learning that trigger and the shots started coming into the zero. It can take time to become accustomed to a trigger on a new firearm. I like to get a new firearm and use it exclusively until I master it. Switching around works if one has had special training of the kind that most people do not get.

At least you learned for yourself. That is good. And good luck with your class.

I tend to over think things... at the same time I realized that all three pistols were shooting to the left I also realized that when I took the long distance pistol shooting class at the Sig Academy this past June I was shooting to the left at 100 yards also....using the same Sig p226. seems to be something I'm doing wrong.... as for the class.... I've taken it twice and had no trouble with accuracy in my shooting especially on the final shooting test... both times I missed one shot out of 25 (always to the left) ... which was probably the 1st shot,double action, of a controlled pair at 15 meters, either that or one of the head shots at 7 meters which also have to be double action with my Sig or Ruger. It's the malfunction test that always throws me...

exavid

Hunter
Usually a right handed shooter will tend to push the gun slightly to the left, a south paw like me will tend to shoot a bit to the right if I don't practice proper trigger control. A couple of guys in my club were griping that their new pistols were shooting to the left. I tried them and didn't have any problem hitting the 8 ring or better at 50'. It's almost always the shooter not the gun. It's usually pretty easy to prove it if you have a sand bag or some kind of gun rest.

Latest posts