Dug Out My Old P-series

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
So a post about DA/SA pistols on another forum got me thinking about my old .40 flavored P94. I hadn't shot it in forever. It was what I owned when I got serious about learning to shoot a handgun. I spent a lot of time & money trying to learn to shoot it well. At the time the striker guns were in vogue & I decided I needed an XD-40 & got it. The old P gun fell by the wayside.

So last night I took my oldest girl (12) out & took turns with her shooting a .22 rifle & me shooting pistols. I didn't really shoot paper with it (we were using a spinning target) but I shot the P94 about as well as anything else. My daughter laughed at me because I told her I was going to shoot a funky looking weed (about 1" diameter) that was growing out of the dirtpile we were using for a backstop from about 10 yards. I cut it in half on the first shot using the double action trigger. I told her I had messed my fun up. I thought it would take a few shots to hit it. I believe I sold this pistol short.
Now if it was the decocker only version instead of the safety model I would be tempted to carry it. I still don't like the slide mounted safety though.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mike J said:
Now if it was the decocker only version instead of the safety model I would be tempted to carry it. I still don't like the slide mounted safety though.
You can safely carry it with the hammer down after decocking it and with the safety off so it can be used just like the decock-only gun. The only difference is the safety/decock lever doesn't return to the off-safe position by itself.

Mike J

Hunter
22/45 Fan-I did that some long ago. I quit when I found that the safety had bumped against something & was on when I thought it was off. Probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been using my climbing stand but it was enough to make me have second thoughts.

gb6491-Thanks, I haven't gotten to shoot much lately but whenever I get the chance I have been trying to go & I am trying to get her started learning. This year the girls are taking an archery class. They are enjoying it & doing well. I have been letting her shoot the .22 & at the same type I am explaining different action types & safeties-how they work-how to put them on & off. I want my girls to be familiar enough to pick up just about any gun & make it run if need be by the age of 18. Time will tell if I succeed or not but it is my goal. I want to find a rimfire rifle class to send them to next year.

Old RugerFan

Bearcat
MikeJ said: "I want my girls to be familiar enough to pick up just about any gun & make it run if need be by the age of 18."

Sir, by spending time with your daughters shooting, you're already successful in my book!

Mike J

Hunter
Old RugerFan said:
MikeJ said: "I want my girls to be familiar enough to pick up just about any gun & make it run if need be by the age of 18."

Sir, by spending time with your daughters shooting, you're already successful in my book!

Thank You

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I love shooting the P94...mine is 40S&W and DAO. I love that you can shoot 180 grain ammo and it recoils like a 9mm....there is some weight to this overbuilt gun

eveled

Hawkeye
Mike J said:
. I want my girls to be familiar enough to pick up just about any gun & make it run if need be by the age of 18. Time will tell if I succeed or not but it is my goal. I want to find a rimfire rifle class to send them to next year.

This is exactly how I ended up with so many .22's trying to get one in every platform, for training purposes.

You're a good dad.

Mike J

Hunter
eveled said:
This is exactly how I ended up with so many .22's trying to get one in every platform, for training purposes.

You're a good dad.

I have been letting my 12 year old girl shoot some centerfire also. But if I let her shoot my centerfire handguns I only load one round. At different times I have let her shoot my SR 1911, Dan Wesson model 15-2 (used .38 special), and my XD-40. She got a perfect bullseye from 7 yards with the XD-40. When I let her shoot the 1911 she said, "WOW!," and a huge grin spread all across her face.

Edited to add: Just so no one thinks I am handing a tiny girl a big gun I wanted to let y'all know. She is 5'3" and weighs about 100 pounds or more. She is the size of many grown women.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I keep telling myself I need to take my old P90 out and shoot it next to my SR1911-CMD.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have a P89 in 30 Luger and a Swiss 06/24 made in 1918 in the same caliber. Sort of night & day in the whole refinement, sleek and slender category. But it sure is fun watching 17 or 18 of those bottle-necked cartridges feed each and every time with no hiccups. And "soft shooting" doesn't begin to describe the feel of the 89 in that chambering.

Lonestone1

Bearcat
dakota1911 said:
I keep telling myself I need to take my old P90 out and shoot it next to my SR1911-CMD.

I plan to do the same thing with my P-97 (When I get it back from Ruger) and my SR1911.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
I've always enjoyed my P90DC and have also 'cut down weeds' DA and SA. It ain't going nowhere, but I've returned to a Detective Special just because these old hands/fingers can't manipulate a shell shucker like they used to. The DS seems awful small now compared to my 3" GP100.