Tula 9mm in an SR pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

willydstyle

Bearcat
Has anyone had any luck with this ammo? When I use it, I get failures to extract (the empty casing has to be manually removed from the chamber), and last time I was at the range I even had a casing get stuck so firmly in the extractor I couldn't even rack the slide to repair the malfunction.

I've heard multiple people say that their SR9 runs any ammo though.

I've had failures to extract with WWB too, but the gun is close to 100% reliable with federal and S&B ammo, even the cheap stuff.

Are these issues I should be contacting customer support over, or should I just not run these brands' ammo in my gun?

hittman

Staff member
I'd guess if it happens with more than one kind of ammo, it "may" be the gun.

Regardless, Ruger will surely take care of it.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I've fired a few thousand rounds of Tula through my 9E and SR9c without any issues.

willydstyle

Bearcat
OK, thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to try cleaning underneath the extractor extra super carefully and see if that helps this weekend, and if it doesn't I'll call Ruger and see if they can do anything about it.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
willydstyle said:
OK, thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to try cleaning underneath the extractor extra super carefully and see if that helps this weekend, and if it doesn't I'll call Ruger and see if they can do anything about it.

Hope that does it for you, I was shocked how nasty mine had gotten when I took it apart for cleaning after only 3000-4000 rounds I'd estimate over multiple shooting sessions.

willydstyle

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
willydstyle said:

Hope that does it for you, I was shocked how nasty mine had gotten when I took it apart for cleaning after only 3000-4000 rounds I'd estimate over multiple shooting sessions.

One of my problems is I bought this gun used, so I'm not sure whether my failures are from the factory or from the previous owner not taking proper care of the gun.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
willydstyle said:
Has anyone had any luck with this ammo? When I use it, I get failures to extract (the empty casing has to be manually removed from the chamber), and last time I was at the range I even had a casing get stuck so firmly in the extractor I couldn't even rack the slide to repair the malfunction.

I've heard multiple people say that their SR9 runs any ammo though.

I've had failures to extract with WWB too, but the gun is close to 100% reliable with federal and S&B ammo, even the cheap stuff.

Are these issues I should be contacting customer support over, or should I just not run these brands' ammo in my gun?

Willy d,
If you want to shoot steel case ammo, get Winchester USA Forged. It is made in America, and
you can shoot it at most ranges because the bullets are FMJ with no steel inserts. I use it in my 9MMs and
have no problem. Shoots a little dirty but most ammo does.
BTW, if the gun is not 100% I hope you are not carrying it!
Blackie

DonD

Single-Sixer
Haven't shot much of it but had no issues in my SR9C. Don

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Whatever happened to thoroughly cleaning a firearm after each shooting session? If they are kept clean there are usually no failures. Even cheap ammo works most of the time.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
teuthis said:
Whatever happened to thoroughly cleaning a firearm after each shooting session? If they are kept clean there are usually no failures. Even cheap ammo works most of the time.

My father in law and I had this discussion. He completely disassembles his guns and cleans after every time he shoots. I keep my guns clean but wouldnt carry a semi auto that hadnt been "test fired" after cleaning so technically in his eyes I have a dirty gun.

willydstyle

Bearcat
teuthis said:

I have been thoroughly cleaning my gun between firing sessions and still experienced multiple failures to extract today on both steel and aluminum cased ammo.

57springer

Buckeye
Galaxiedan said:
teuthis said:

My father in law and I had this discussion. He completely disassembles his guns and cleans after every time he shoots. I keep my guns clean but wouldnt carry a semi auto that hadnt been "test fired" after cleaning so technically in his eyes I have a dirty gun.
I don't think one or two shots fall into the " dirty gun " category :wink:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"My father in law and I had this discussion. He completely disassembles his guns and cleans after every time he shoots..."
I bet he changes his oil every week too?

With modern aerosols cleaning a plastic gun takes about ten seconds anyway. Spray out the crud, shake vigorously, and dry.

:wink:

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
The discussion with my father in law (65+ ex navy) came up because he carries a commander size 1911 and more than once after his range trip he has asked for assistance putting it back together. I explained that its not necessary or practical to completely disassemble after 20-25 rounds.

Being that this is his primary self defense gun I strongly advised that he test fire it after he puts it back together :) This where the its dirty now and needs cleaned again conversation starts.

toysoldier

Hunter
I don't own a 9mm and have not shot Tula ammo. I do collect empties at the shooting range, and Tula cases show enough obvious variation that I would not purchase it.

Latest posts