Thought I understood the "slingshot".

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not as smart as I thought I was. (So what else is new)
Longtime poster on an (other) RF forum) but am following folks I know and respect to RF.com. Looking forward to the association.
Re: Slingshoting. Never paid as much attention as I should have, but have confirmed that with my two Rugers (a Mk. III with mag disconnect removed and a Mk. IV recently back from recall but otherwise un-modified) the slingshot mode functions as follows:
Bolt held back by slide release, loaded mag inserted, bolt pulled fully to rear and let go, bolt remains locked open.
Bolt closed, then loaded mag inserted, pull back bolt and it chambers a round.
S.O.P.? Or is there a way (i.e. mod?) that will allow mag insertion on an open bolt and then simple pull back for chambering?
Thanks,
Rob :mrgreen:

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
BlueSteel&Walnut said:
Longtime poster on an (other) RF forum) but am following folks I know and respect to RF.com. Looking forward to the association.
Re: Slingshoting. Never paid as much attention as I should have, but have confirmed that with my two Rugers (a Mk. III with mag disconnect removed and a Mk. IV recently back from recall but otherwise un-modified) the slingshot mode functions as follows:
Bolt held back by slide release, loaded mag inserted, bolt pulled fully to rear and let go, bolt remains locked open.
S.O.P.? Or is there a way (i.e. mod?) that will allow mag insertion on an open bolt and then simple pull back for chambering?
Thanks,

Blue,
In simple terms, sling shoting is lock the slide back, Inserting the loaded mag, pulling the slide back and
releasing it. Only definition of sling shoting that I know of!
Blackie

22/45 Fan

Hunter
SR1911SHOOTER said:
Blue,
In simple terms, sling shoting is lock the slide back, Inserting the loaded mag, pulling the slide back and
releasing it. Only definition of sling shoting that I know of!
Blackie
+1 That's both the definition and technique I'm familiar with and use. My MkIV works just fine that way as does my S&W M&P and my 1911.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
BlueSteel: The part of this you don't understand is that simply stuffing a loaded mag in with the slide locked back will not reset the slide lock to allow automatic chambering. This is by design. If you look at the magazine follower you'll see there is a hump on one side of it. That's what activates the slide lock when the last round is fired. Inserting a new loaded magazine, there is nothing that will automatically release the slide. I'd recommend not fooling with it.

Instead just change your technique. Instead of slingshotting just release the slide with that little lever. I've never had an instance in 60 years of shooting where manual slide release has caused any problems, despite what you might hear from some folks.

Or you could do combat reloads, and swap out the mags before you fire that last round.

Thanks for your responses, ALL.
If nothing else, I feel better about my confusion now! :mrgreen:
Responses 1 and 2 describe what I always thought of as "slingshoting",
Response 3 seems to contradict 1 and 2, and accurately portrays my experience with my Mk. III and Mk. IV.
So which, in reference to my original post, is S.O.P. for the Ruger Mk. IV, 1 & 2, or 3???
I have no intention of attempting any modification here, just want to understand what's happening with my particular Ruger.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
My reply applies to all semi-auto's that are designed to lock open when the last round is fired (some semi-autos don't have that design). If you look inside your gun(s) with the slide back you'll see a small lever (usually on the left side) of the frame near the top of the mag well. That's what the empty mag follower contacts to apply upward pressure on the exterior slide lock lever (and overcoming the small spring that keeps it in it's normal position), so that when the slide comes back after the last round the exterior slide lock lever engages the cutout on the slide. Simple friction keeps it there until one of two things happens (assuming you've inserted a loaded mag or removed the empty) - you either manually release the slide lock lever, or you relieve the friction on it by "sling shotting" the slide.

That said, there are design variations of the general concept - the GSG & Sig 1911-22's for example - but those variations are minor.

roylt

Hunter
I read your post differently than the others I guess. You say with the slide locked open when you try to sling shot a round to chamber the slide "relocks" open when you release the slide from slingshot position. When you try this same thing with the slide from battery it works as it should.

So there is only two things in my mind that could be happening.

1. The slide stop (not a release) is sticking / not moving freely as it should.

2. Your grip (hand position) is holding the slide stop from moving as it should.

If you can post pictures to show the slide stop.

Taterman

Buckeye
roylt said:
I read your post differently than the others I guess. You say with the slide locked open when you try to sling shot a round to chamber the slide "relocks" open when you release the slide from slingshot position. When you try this same thing with the slide from battery it works as it should.

So there is only two things in my mind that could be happening.

1. The slide stop (not a release) is sticking / not moving freely as it should.

2. Your grip (hand position) is holding the slide stop from moving as it should.

If you can post pictures to show the slide stop.

I read it that way too. I also agree about the slide stop not being a slide release.

Guess I could have been clearer, but, yes, Hunter, you're reading it as intended and I suspect the problem may be one of the slide stop sticking. I have installed some spacer washers to minimize trigger side play and while they don't affect the movement of the trigger itself they may be binding the stop. Of course that wouldn't explain the situation with my Mk. III, but since that one has a steel Wilson trigger the same factors could be at play. Time for a super clean and light lube and see what happens. I'll also see if I can master the photo download.
I'll be back. May be a day or two.
Rob

O.K. Folks,
We can move on. Problem solved, and yes, a proper cleaning and now my Mk. IV slingshots like I thought it should.
Definitely prefer being able to seat the mag with the bolt locked open and then slingshot that first round in.
Take care, All, and thanks again.
Via con Dios.
Rob

22/45 Fan

Hunter
BTW, the MkII and MkIII pistols could not be "slingshotted" (new word) in factory form. You had to hold the slide release down with your thumb after pulling the slide back to get it to release. There were modifications to these guns that would let you slingshot the slide but they didn't allow it in stock form. The MkIV redesign removed that limitation and i'm glad you found the reason yours didn't work properly.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
BlueSteel&Walnut said:
Thanks,

Rob,
Maybe this will help.
BlCKIE

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/slide-lock-reload-methods/

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I always just use the slide lock to release the slide and chamber a round. Sling shotting works but one must ask "why bother?" :)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
teuthis said:
Sling shotting works but one must ask "why bother?" :)
I'm left handed and, if you watched the video linked to above, you'll see that it's one of the reason for sling shotting the slide. One of my guns (an M&P) does have ambidextrous slide locks but the others don't so I'd have to use my trigger finger to reach them. It's awkward and you can't get a lot of force doing it that way. Sling shotting works on every gun I own and every one I've tried.

Taterman

Buckeye
teuthis said:
I always just use the slide lock to release the slide and chamber a round. Sling shotting works but one must ask "why bother?" :)

A "Slide lock" is meant to just hold the slide back. A "slide release" is just for releasing the slide.
Releasing it with a slide lock can wear it out. I'd say it's with the effort to pull the slide back, and slingshot it with the slide lock held in.

eveled

Hawkeye
"Why bother" with the slingshot???? Because of what taterman said, plus it is the universal way to do it pretty much on all semi autos, and it creates muscle memory for clearing jambs, or dud rounds.

Not all slide stops work as a slide release. Some are way too hard to push. The only time I use mine is to close the slide without a mag inserted, and then it is done easily.

Taterman

Buckeye
eveled said:
"Why bother" with the slingshot???? Because of what taterman said, plus it is the universal way to do it pretty much on all semi autos, and it creates muscle memory for clearing jambs, or dud rounds.

Not all slide stops work as a slide release. Some are way to hard to push. The only time I use mine is to close the slide without a mag inserted, and then it is done easy.

Another great reason.

Latest posts