Ruger LCP Service Life

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DonD

Single-Sixer
Does anyone know of a published service life for the LCP?

In any event, would be interested in who has the highest round count out of an LCP. I'm not in the running, less than 100 rds so far but I do like it. Don

It is a known fact that rapid fire of 200 rounds at a sitting causes problems! Go to KTOG and research the P3AT, and you will see what I mean. It is meant to be carried a lot, qualified with, and used judiciously. When Keltec first came out with the P3AT, there were guys who would put vast amounts of rounds down range, then wonder why the gun broke! I have heard of them being ok at the 2,000 round mark. Good luck, and enjoy! I do mine.
gramps
PS The Keltec is what Ruger copied to get the LCP.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I figure that if Ruger makes it, it is reliable and tough. Not something I would be worried about.

DonD

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
PS The Keltec is what Ruger copied to get the LCP.
I was aware of that although I would think that Ruger, based on it's reputation would produce a more durable item than Keltec. Perhaps I'm wrong. I do take the carry a lot shoot a little attitude with the LCP. Don

22/45 Fan said:
Those guns (the LCP and P3AT) are so unpleasant to shoot that I expect the owner will wear out long before the guns do. :)
I have an LCP, and don't find it unpleasant to shoot. Of course I don't shoot more than 20 rounds at a session. That comes after I have put close to 100 rounds of .44 mag down range. :mrgreen: 8)
gramps

DonD

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
Those guns (the LCP and P3AT) are so unpleasant to shoot that I expect the owner will wear out long before the guns do. :)

I don't find it at all unpleasant to shoot. Considering the limited number of rounds I've put through it, I'm also very pleased with my accuracy. Don

PM9

Bearcat
I am putting 50-100 rounds per session and have no problems with recoil at all.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I've had 3 LCP Gen 2. Each failed at about 1000 rnds. after the third, I asked Ruger to replace it with an LCP II. They did so at no charge.
With each of the first 3 LCP the metal frame insert cracked.All I ever ran was name brand 95gr range ammo.

DonD

Single-Sixer
louchia said:
I've had 3 LCP Gen 2. Each failed at about 1000 rnds. after the third, I asked Ruger to replace it with an LCP II. They did so at no charge.
With each of the first 3 LCP the metal frame insert cracked.All I ever ran was name brand 115gr range ammo.

115gr slugs in a .380? Few are heavier than 95 gr. Don

s4s4u

Hunter
DonD said:
22/45 Fan said:

I don't find it at all unpleasant to shoot. Considering the limited number of rounds I've put through it, I'm also very pleased with my accuracy. Don

Took my petite daughter to the indoor range where they rent guns to help her decide on a compact carry. She shot their LC9s and the LCP as well as my LCRx and RAC. She liked the LCP best due to the size and wasn't bothered by recoil even after a box of 50 and hit well with it.

One cylinder of +P 125's in my LCRx was enough for her.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
They definitely aren't a range gun. I've put probably two boxes through my Custom LCP. I know where it shoots and what I did shoot was reliable. I carry mine only as a 2nd gun or a back up gun just in case in a Talon wallet holster. Once I knew how it operated and where it was shooting I seriously doubt it will get fired again anytime soon. With Ruger excellent Customer Service I'm sure if you wear it out they will repair or replace it. I would hope they are good for a couple thousand rounds but I wouldn't put any money down on it either. There isn't much to them. They are great for what they were designed to be and nothing more.

jollymon

Bearcat
A local Gun Shop had some guns of mine on consignment and one sold as I was in route, pleasant surprise when I arrived.
So I looked at the LCP , wanted a pocket gun that was light and flat for days when the weather dictates shorts and tee shirt.
The LCPII wasn't as flat as the LCP is , it won ,and a pair of LCP's and ammo and loot came home with me.
One for the pocket and the other for the truck , After a check out at the range tomorrow.
Then unless needed they won't get shot till I do my annual rotation of ammo and mags on all the regular carry guns.

PM9

Bearcat
My first day with an LCPII I ran 200 rounds of various brands of ammo. Following that I usually shoot no more than a hundred or so. If It breaks, I will buy another and send the broken one to Ruger for repair just to keep one in rotation at all times. From the looks of my current gun it will be a long time before I need to exercise that option.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:

I do not find the LCP uncomfortable to shoot although I understand those who think it is.

exavid

Hunter
I put several hundred rounds through my original LCP both store bought and reloaded and with different bullet types. All fed and worked well. After Ruger came out with the new LCP I bought it and sold the original one. Got a good deal too the difference was only about $50. Just recently I did the same thing with my original LC9, and now have the Pro. The original guns were great but I wanted a bit better trigger and got it. The LCP is just a wee bit larger with much better sights and both guns have a MUCH improved trigger.