Ruger Security 9, .380, .40 and .45?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JasonH

Bearcat
Just browsing a website that keeps track of new trademark names. It seems that Ruger has recently trademarked the names Security 9, Security .380, Security 40 and Security 45. Obviously the original Security series were double action revolvers, but all of these sound like semi-auto pistols. Anybody heard any scuttlebutt concerning these?

Here is a link to the page about the Security 9 trademark.

https://trademarks.justia.com/872/43/security-87243458.html

Back when Ruger was beginning the double-action Six Series they applied for trademark on the name, and marked a couple of Bearcats with that name for photo record purposes. Apparently it really doesn't matter which actual gun is shown, just the name, rollmarked onto a gun that sorta, kinda, resembles the actual thing.

:?

hittman

Staff member
Maybe they're gonna make a push to enter the Law Enforcement market?

JasonH

Bearcat
I'm going to throw out a wild guess here. I might be totally wrong, but here goes. I think we might see a new line of revolvers. Yes, revolvers. Given the success of the Ruger LCR, I'm going to bet that the frames will be polymer. Also, given the cartridge choices, I'm guessing they will be smaller in size. Perhaps just the right size for a back up gun. Ruger might be trying to tap into that market. They know that the American Pistol isn't setting the woods on fire with law enforcement agencies. I honestly don't see them introducing yet another striker fired gun to try and go after that market. Besides, in Ruger's history the name "Security" has always been tied to revolvers. By chambering a backup revolver in popular duty pistol calibers, there would be no need for the officer to purchase different ammo.

I guess there is also the chance that we could be looking at a new semi-auto pistol with the Security label on it. However my money is on some type of revolver.

Dang, does that mean this thread needs to be moved to the revolver forum now?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
JasonH said:
I'm going to throw out a wild guess here. I might be totally wrong, but here goes. I think we might see a new line of revolvers. Yes, revolvers. Given the success of the Ruger LCR, I'm going to bet that the frames will be polymer. Also, given the cartridge choices, I'm guessing they will be smaller in size. Perhaps just the right size for a back up gun. Ruger might be trying to tap into that market. They know that the American Pistol isn't setting the woods on fire with law enforcement agencies. I honestly don't see them introducing yet another striker fired gun to try and go after that market. Besides, in Ruger's history the name "Security" has always been tied to revolvers. By chambering a backup revolver in popular duty pistol calibers, there would be no need for the officer to purchase different ammo.

I'd say that is an excellent guess. Perhaps something with a larger cylinder with a 7 or 8 shot capacity in 9mm ? I'm not at all a fan of the polymer frames on revolvers but it looks like they are here to stay. Going into the lighter weight metals as Smith does with the scandium (whatever the heck that is) seems to make them very expensive.

A 7 or 8 shot 9mm isn't exactly gonna be a smaller "backup" piece. That would essentially be a big ol' holster gun like the 8 shot .357 Redhawk.

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5033.html

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:
A 7 or 8 shot 9mm isn't exactly gonna be a smaller "backup" piece. That would essentially be a big ol' holster gun like the 8 shot .357 Redhawk.

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5033.html

True, it's just hard to think of how they'd make something significantly different than what's already out there. It would have to be different in some way. You already have the small backup snub nose revolvers in the LCR. You already have the mid size yet still compact SP101. And stepping up from that you have the GP series in it's various configurations. Then the redhawks.

So I'm thinking if you had to jam a new revolver line somewhere in that lineup the only place there's room is something slightly larger than an LCR with more capacity than the 5 shot .357 SP101. Something in the SP101 size range maybe with a larger cylinder. But smaller than the GP 100.

I saw that redhawk you linked just before it came out. Well I don't know. I guess you could make an argument on why they should never build anything new again because it's already covered.

Currently, you can have five shots of .357 or six shots of 327 in the LCR or the SP101, or even five shots of 9mm in the SP101. These offerings are determined by what a cylinder that fits in those frames will handle. Of those, a pretty good case could be made that the 327 offerings are the optimal for those "small" frames.

What chambering would anyone like to see in a gun only "slightly" bigger than either of these already-available small guns? It's almost a certainty that a .40 S&W would be pushing the limit, and even then it would likely be a five-shot.

That 327 looks better and better, and it already exists. Some of the 327 loads push the .357 performance levels, with recoil being close to the same in tiny guns. Still, such guns are meant to be carried a lot and shot rarely, so it's a pretty good trade. It would certainly be worthy of a trial run if one is serious about high-performance pocket revolvers.

A review . . . http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/review-ruger-lcr-327-federal-magnum/

I seriously doubt Ruger is coming out with a line of REVOLVERS solely chambered in auto pistol cartridges...sorry, seems illogical to me.

My bet is Ruger has/had on the drawing board an idea for another line of semi auto pistols, hammer fired, like a revolver, and have shelved them for the time being but is maintaining the trademark...I believe the names have been trademarked for a few years now.

JasonH

Bearcat
It looks like the trademark was applied for in November of 2016, and approved in May of 2017. So they applied for the trademark well after the American pistol was introduced. It must be something they are planning on forging ahead with. Whatever it is......

Over the years, Ruger has applied for trademarks for many gun names they never used in anticipation of future use and/or simply to have them in hand and protected from anyone else.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I see titanium framed, boot-gripped, 2 3/4" short cylinder / moon-clip revolvers, on roughly GP100 sized frames, 7 rounds in .380 & 9mm, 5 rounds in .40 & .45 at a considerable weight savings over the GP100.
Given that the .40 seems to be falling out of favor, and that the .380, though widely popular is underpowered but taking up roughly the same space as the 9mm, Ruger will determine there is insufficient market for either, so we will get new 9mm and 45 acp revolvers which will actually be light enough to comfortably carry.
This in response to the 10 round mag limits in some states, which may eventually morph in semi-auto pistol bans, thus improving the market for revolvers. At least, this is what Ruger may have been thinking in 2016, before Trump surprised everyone and won. Now Ruger may be reconsidering.
Though a truly lightweight 45 acp revolver might have some appeal. A modern, higher quality Bulldog.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I would also think that considering the calibers named that we would be looking at a pistol and not a revolver. The entire gamut of revolvers would require moon clips. That does not seem like a sound commercial idea. I guess we will find out at some point. :)

toysoldier

Hunter
Taurus makes a .380 DAO revolver.
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=856&category=Revolver

The key element of its design is the short cylinder and frame, no longer than necessary for the round. I have handled them at gun shows, and they are really compact. I would prefer a single-action option. It could easily hold 7 rounds of .22, like the old H&R and Iver Johnson tip-up revolvers.

Lonestone1

Bearcat
Perhaps a revolver series that will challenge the Charter Arms Pitbull series that requires no moonclips. 8)

cobalt327

Bearcat
Ran across this thread while looking for info on the new Security 9 pistol. May be old news but it's based on the success of the LCP 2 action. Mid size pistol in either single or double stack magazine configuration. Info on the Security 9- https://ruger.com/products/security9/models.html