New LCP with 8# trigger pull.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wheeljack

Bearcat
The New LCP II with 8# trigger pull.

IMG_0044_zpsr8kracxe.jpg

louchia

Single-Sixer
Please explain what we are looking at. What's that spring in back of the trigger?

sd550

Bearcat
Hey louchia, I had the same question but later saw this thread; http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=259116

Wheeljack

Bearcat
It's a spring that causes the trigger to be an 8# trigger. It's actually a joke. I mean it works, but I don't think it will last long. Just glued on. But, that 8# pull feels a lot safer on a SA trigger. MY LCP has a 5# trigger, but the travel distance is pretty long. The LCP II has the same 5# pull, but is a short throw trigger. When I read the the NYC police department used 10# triggers and why, I thought it was a good idea and for me too. Some guys say they have total control in a self defense situation, but I feel I need a little help in making sure I don't pull the trigger too soon. A heavier trigger helps.

s4s4u

Hunter
I need a little help in making sure I don't pull the trigger too soon.

As opposed to pulling the trigger too late? It's called training ;-)

I got a kick out of your pic

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Strong trigger pull is not an issue in a firefight when one is twice as strong or more, than usual and focused on the target. It will not matter. When I get a new firearm the first thing I do is set a target close and learn the trigger. I don't focus on it, I just work it and focus on the target. Good training I think. I would dismantle that Rube Goldberg contraption and go shooting. Good luck. :)

PM9

Bearcat
If you are sure you need a heavier trigger, just go pick up a original LCP

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
PM9 said:

Ditto.

Sounds like the OP is scared of his own gun. Most people don't modify their guns to make them more difficult to shoot.

Wheeljack

Bearcat
Let's try this again. I said it was a joke. I said I have a LCP. The pull on the LCP is the same weight as the LCP II, only the length of travel is much longer in the LCP. I have had rounds go off before I was expecting them to. I guess I'm the only person on earth that has happened too. I am not "scared" of my guns, but I do have a lot of respect for them. I don't get to practice as much as I like and when I do, it may be with different guns. I do not find an 8# pull difficult.
I am not John Wayne or Bob Munden. If my bringing up a question of safety offends, I have no idea why. I guess I'm not a cowboy.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Wheeljack, bring up and discussing safety should never offend anyone. If it does, disregard those responses and focus on the other comments. Don't get into a pissing match. That's not what this forum is about.
Welcome aboard.

PM9

Bearcat
I understand your concerns and you will help yourself gain confidence with dryfire training. EMPTY gun practice trigger control aiming at a safe, solid backstop. Do this a few times per day and you will get used to the point at which the gun fires.
If you are concerned that due to the shorter length the trigger needs to be moved rearward to make the gun fire and your concern is that of a negligent discharge, that fear will be mitigated by insuring the safe handling, and proper holsters that completely cover the trigger are used. Do pay extra attention when re-holstering any firearm as that is the source of many negligent discharges.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
PM9 said:

You got that right I have one of the early ones and it takes allot of finger pressure to get it to fire. After 25 rounds or so my finger tells me that's enough.

Wheeljack

Bearcat
I have both and the trigger pressure is about the same on both, BUT, the LCP has a longer pull.

5of7

Hunter
PM9 said:

I have the LCP and also the LCPII. According to my trigger pull gauge, the triggers both break the same....5.5 lbs.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
5of7 said:
PM9 said:

I have the LCP and also the LCPII. According to my trigger pull gauge, the triggers both break the same....5.5 lbs.

If your LCP breaks at 5.5 lbs it's not one of the early originals. Mine is so hard I'm afraid I'll break my RCBS trigger gauge.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I have a an LCP. One of the later ones with the slightly larger sights and better trigger. At least it seems so compared to my father's "first generation?" LCP. I've handled the LCP II and while I like the even larger sights, I do not care for the shorter trigger travel on the gun. It's not that I am afraid of it, but to me the LCP is a pocket pistol / backup gun and essentially a near contact / contact distance gun. On that, a gun which might be coming out a pocket in a scuffle, I like the longer tirgger pull.