GLOCK Gen5 Has Arrived

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I'm curious now about what Glock will do about which "Gens" to keep making. AFAIK, they are perhaps the only company to successfully make and sell both last year's and this year's models simultaneously. I seem to recall that Coke tried that some years ago, and what a disaster that was.

Most companies would just say to their customers who are sad about saying good bye to the old, "Too bad, get over it," and would go ahead and phase out the old models to make room for the new. Not Glock. They kept making Gen 3's, and just kept selling them right alongside the Gen 4 guns. One result of that is that quite a few shooters never have accepted the Gen 4's, and swear on their mothers' graves that the Gen 3 Glocks are better.

So now I think they're in a bit of a pickle. Do they: 1. Drop Gens 3 & 4 and just sell the new Gen 5 models? 2. Sell Gens 3, 4 & 5 side by side? 3. Drop Gen 4, and sell Gens 3 & 5?

My understanding is that in communist states like California they have to keep the Gen 3 guns, as the newer models can't make it onto the "approved" rosters.

What a strange situation.

gunzo

Hunter
Thank you for the video link, just learned about all I need to know about them for now. I won't be the first kid on the block, but probably gonna have to have one....or two.

I have an old double sided adjustable crescent wrench that it literally about 100 years old. It works as well as it likely did the day it was made. When someone makes a wrench that will do what my old one does, but does it much better I will consider buying the new wrench. I keep several guns around my home for home defense, all of which will do exactly what I need them to do: a P97, an sr40 and a Glock 17. When a new gun comes out that will substantially do a better job than these guns I would consider it. And as for concealed carry, I traded in my Glock 26 and have carried a Ruger LC9s ever since. Unless the Glock Gen 5 does something special, like aim itself, self reload magazines, clean itself or wash dishes I will pass on this for now. But if you just have to have the latest thing out, go for it and enjoy.

gunzo

Hunter
Definitely not enough changes or earth shattering improvements to make me want to go trade the perfectly serviceable Glocks I now have. Heck, I think it goes without saying that if I'd dump something for the first new bell or whistle to come along, then I didn't think much of what I had in the first place, I'd be only in a mode to have the latest and greatest.

But, If I were to add another to my pile, the Gen5 looks good to go, not something that has been downgraded or screwed up to a point that would prompt me to seek the previous model. That..... happens all too often.

RSIno1

Hunter
planetcat said:
It sounds like they solved "problems" that didnt exist.
Fixed those no existant problems for the .gov contract. I hope they keep making the Gen 3. We can't get Gen 4 or Glocks made in the US as they are not on the CA safe handgun list. To get a new gun added to the list now it has to have microstamping a technology that doesn't exist. We can't even buy Ruger 22 MK series anymore. Ruger didn't pay the $100 or so to keep the MKII and III on the list and the MKIV won't qualify.
I've got 9mm covered with a Gen1 17L, early gen2 19, Gen3 26 and a 17 I made from a 80% frame even a Gen3 30 (45acp) I bought to replace a little Detonics. I bought the 26 to carry since we can't get the 42 in CA. I found myself still carrying my S&W 642 just because it's smaller/lighter. I don't think I need any bells and whistles the Gen4 or 5 add. OK maybe a real rifled barrel instead of their wierd polygon rifling.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I just sold my gen 4 Glock. Won't buy another one. I much prefer my Ruger 9E and newly purchased American Pistol Compact in 9. I think all this "Glock hype" is a form of mass hallucination.

Snake45

Hawkeye
How/why are they up to "Gen 5"? I thought the first gens were advertised as "Glock Perfection." :roll:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Double-meh.

Glock may just be the first major gun company to outlive the desire-ability of its own design. Still looks and carries like a brick to me.

-And despite the ad campaign, "generation" is applicable to a living, procreating thing. "Revision" is the engineering term for a design change. Irks me a bit.

Snake45

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
Double-meh.

Glock may just be the first major gun company to outlive the desire-ability of its own design. Still looks and carries like a brick to me.

-And despite the ad campaign, "generation" is applicable to a living, procreating thing. "Revision" is the engineering term for a design change. Irks me a bit.
Couldn't agree with you more. Glocks may be good shooting machines, maybe even good values, but to me they are all soul-less lead dispensers. And there is nothing you can do to one to make it more desirable IMHO.

And I have NEVER understood the logic of putting a gun's only manual safety right on the trigger. :shock: :roll:

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
mohavesam said:
Double-meh.
And I have NEVER understood the logic of putting a gun's only manual safety right on the trigger. :shock: :roll:

I completely agree. There seems a trend, despite increased concealed carry, to make firearms inherently unsafe. We carry 99.99% and perhaps have to shoot .01%. Carrying should be safe in any mode. I want a manual safety.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm quite glad they finally got rid of those stoopid finger bumps and added a cut rifled barrel to make lead shooting easier. I'm pretty stoked about the gen. 5 and hope it is success, however I have already addressed those concerns with my 19, 22, and 26. I sanded the bumps down to gently rolling hills and retextured to my liking. Added Storm Lake barrels for shooting lead slugs. I'm right handed so the slide release is not an issue. Still, if I came across a good deal on one...

http://gen5.glock.us

gen5_carousel.jpg

Wheeljack

Bearcat
Like every other thing, new or "improved" is needed to keep sales up. Be it a car, shampoo, phone or gun. I like my Glock because of all the available aftermarket parts. I posted a question about a heavy spring for my new LCP II and got no responses. Only lighter springs are available and I prefer heavy trigger weight for a defense weapon. With a Glock I can get a 12# trigger pull, but nothing like that for my LCP. Don't knock the Glock too much, it sounds like sour grapes.

I tend to put down Glocks and it's easier to do here because of 'the choir'.... but they do seem to work... and I did not know about the ability to get a heavier trigger.... I like that idea on a striker fired pistol. Still don't car fro the look of them... squared trigger guard and the overall boxy look just does not appeal to me... but I guess if the bullet comes out of the front all the time.....

One question... what is the deal with different rifling on the barrel for lead bullets? I don't have a clue in regards to that.

Wheeljack

Bearcat
Eh? Why didn't I buy a Glock? I did buy a Glock.
Glock has a 20 year history of aftermarket parts and Ruger never caught on?
The person that started this post about the Glock did not promote Glock. It's was just news about a gun.
Like I said, I did buy a Glock, and 5 Rugers.
Relax and don't look for trouble where none exists.

Cholo

Staff member
blume357 said:
One question... what is the deal with different rifling on the barrel for lead bullets? I don't have a clue in regards to that.
I didn't watch the long video, but the article explains it quite well.

http://www.tngun.com/differences-between-polygonal-and-conventional-rifling