GLOCK Gen5 Has Arrived

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Mulebuk Sam said:
Capture.png

Actually the new generation 5 is to my liking as it comes. No finger bumps, lead bullet friendly, ready to rock!

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
You should go to the Evansville Courier web site and see if you can find the video of a policeman being attacked by a man with a bat right in front of the Federal Building. The Policeman had to back up fast and draw and fire his service weapon to stop the man with the bat from hitting him in the head with the bat. The entire incident happened in a matter of mere seconds. If the policeman had to fumble with a manual safety he would be dead instead of the man with the bat. The man with the bat was shot multiple times in order to stop his attack. He died. But if the policeman had to run backwards as he did and draw his weapon and then put on in the chamber and turn off the manual safety he would have been killed for sure. Those precious seconds are the reason that I keep one in the chamber ready to go and have a gun that doesn't have a manual safety to slow me down. Every second counts when your fighting for your life.

Here is a link to the video:

http://www.courierpress.com/story/opinion/columnists/jon-webb/2017/08/31/webb-after-shooting-people-see-what-they-want/619441001/

Please watch this video above and see how fast things can happen. I think it may change your mind about having a gun without a manual safety on it. Gun's like the Ruger LC9S Pro or the Walther's PPQ are what I carry.

Snake45 said:
mohavesam said:
Double-meh.

Glock may just be the first major gun company to outlive the desire-ability of its own design. Still looks and carries like a brick to me.

-And despite the ad campaign, "generation" is applicable to a living, procreating thing. "Revision" is the engineering term for a design change. Irks me a bit.
Couldn't agree with you more. Glocks may be good shooting machines, maybe even good values, but to me they are all soul-less lead dispensers. And there is nothing you can do to one to make it more desirable IMHO.

And I have NEVER understood the logic of putting a gun's only manual safety right on the trigger. :shock: :roll:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Nothing new there, and the walking cop had plenty of time for a manual safety, longarm, etc. (besides the perp had stolen a police car, blew a tire and had "a wall of police" blocking him when he exited the cruiser with a large knife and threatened them! Manual safeties do not change that scenario. Police are also required to have weapon-retention training and two-move retention holsters. Cops also have free legal defense IRL and healthcare to pay for trauma teams and surgeons if they get shot - I/we do not
In any case, glock guns no thanks. An annual "new revision" simply indicates marketing decides what engineering designs. 30-SIMBA Syndrome.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
CoyoteHunter_ said:
If the policeman had to fumble with a manual safety he would be dead instead of the man with the bat.
Nonsense. The manual safety on any handgun is flipped off as you draw and does not delay the first shot at all. If that cop had to "fumble" the manual safety, there would have been something very lacking in his training or practice. Anyone who carries a 1911 would laugh at that comment.

DGW1949

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
CoyoteHunter_ said:
If the policeman had to fumble with a manual safety he would be dead instead of the man with the bat.
Nonsense. The manual safety on any handgun is flipped off as you draw and does not delay the first shot at all. If that cop had to "fumble" the manual safety, there would have been something very lacking in his training or practice. Anyone who carries a 1911 would laugh at that comment.

Yeah, training and practice...that's what it comes down to.
And beings how you mentioned "1911"...now that one has a safety, meaning that it blocks both the sear and the hammer, and some of 'em have a firing pin block to boot.
By contrast, all that "thingy" on the Glock trigger does is prevent the trigger from moving due to inertia, meaning that anything which presses the trigger can/will fire the gun...anything...twigs in the bush, a bump against your arm, a seatbelt latch, even the holster, heck who knows?...some folks has shot their own self while drawing or re-holstering in the heat of the moment. Can't do that with a 1911 (or any gun with a real safety) no matter how hard you pull the trigger.

Not saying that Glocks ain't good guns because they certainly are. To call it's trigger-thingy a safety though...no, that's way too much of a stretch.

DGW

Snake45

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
22/45 Fan said:
CoyoteHunter_ said:

Yeah, training and practice...that's what it comes down to.
And beings how you mentioned "1911"...now that one has a safety, meaning that it blocks both the sear and the hammer, and some of 'em have a firing pin block to boot.
By contrast, all that "thingy" on the Glock trigger does is prevent the trigger from moving due to inertia, meaning that anything which presses the trigger can/will fire the gun...anything...twigs in the bush, a bump against your arm, a seatbelt latch, even the holster, heck who knows?...some folks has shot their own self while drawing or re-holstering in the heat of the moment. Can't do that with a 1911 (or any gun with a real safety) no matter how hard you pull the trigger.

Not saying that Glocks ain't good guns because they certainly are. To call it's trigger-thingy a safety though...no, that's way too much of a stretch.

DGW
Quoted for truth.

The thumb safety on a 1911 takes NO time to get off--provided, of course, that you're used to it.