Mark IV - So, I've read all the specs, but...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mapledown

Bearcat
There is a lot to digest on Ruger's Mark IV overview page, and the specifications of each model:
http://ruger.com/products/markIV/overview.html

Caveat: I know about the online gun sales sites, and typical lower sales prices at my LGS, but still...

I'm not clear about the virtues of the premium models that justify such a large % difference in price. With the 22/45 listed at $409 and the Competition at $749, that is quite a spread!

Even among the top shelf trio... I get that the aluminum Target is $529 and the stainless Target is $689, but the stainless Hunter is $769!

I can see a $20 difference between the Hunter and the Competition going down to the additional mill work on the barrel, but if that is the only thing between the models... why have two models? Is it as simple as "why not?"

And is there really such a performance difference between the aluminum Target and the stainless Hunter (45%!) that someone (me) shopping for a target pistol should consider the Hunter? Wouldn't I want to upgrade the trigger on either, anyway?

Help, oh wizards of all things Ruger!

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Best .22 target pistol I ever owned was a H&R semi auto. It was a nail driver.
At 100' it even made me look good.
In a fit of monetary depression, I sold it.
Blackie

ditto1958

Blackhawk
OP, I really think it depends a great deal on what you want the gun for. For many shooters, either the blued target model, or the 22/45 model will serve their needs well. Whether you want/need one of the more expensive models and feel the upgraded features justify a higher price is completely up to you.

Also, only you will know for sure whether you will want/need an upgraded trigger.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I looked at the entire line offered and chose the Hunter. It is a superbly-made pistol; worth what I paid for it.

Mapledown

Bearcat
ditto1958 said:
OP, I really think it depends a great deal on what you want the gun for. For many shooters, either the blued target model, or the 22/45 model will serve their needs well. Whether you want/need one of the more expensive models and feel the upgraded features justify a higher price is completely up to you.

Also, only you will know for sure whether you will want/need an upgraded trigger.

Definitely agree. The mission should determine the tool as much as possible.

For me, this will be target-only at 25 yards (there are two local ranges that size that I like) and perhaps an outdoor range up to 100yds once it cools a bit more this fall. But mostly 25yds, indoors.

Have you shot more than one of these yourself? How much did your results vary with the same ammo?

Thanks!

Mapledown

Bearcat
teuthis said:
I looked at the entire line offered and chose the Hunter. It is a superbly-made pistol; worth what I paid for it.

Thanks for the vote, Teuthis!

Did you have any trouble with the recall?

I agree it is way too confusing.... I bought as a whim a number of years back MK III and really like the way it shoots, this is a stainless steel target model.... the only changes I made were fiber optic sights and a target grip.. I may change to just a standard combat grip one day with the finger groovers.... I've heard the newer {4} is easier to break down and clean... if so then all I can say is it's about damn time.... the difference between breaking down a 1,2, or 3 and the three is the worst..... and say a standard semi - auto (at least the P pistols) is totally ridiculous... the only thing easier to break down than a Ruger P pistol is a Sig....

I think if you go with either the Target or Hunter you will be fine and I'd stay in the lower price range.