Help-decocker issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P95dc

Bearcat
My first post...anyway I took apart my p95dc to clean it and now my decocker has no return tension. It decocker fine but does not spring back on its own. I'm guessing something went wrong after I put the firing pin back in.

Welcome, I can't help you ... even though I own a couple p95s and they are all dockers I've never broken one down past the factory recommendations... slide, & barrel. There has to be some kind of spring that goes in the back of the slide that causes the decock lever to flip back up to the horizontal.... take it apart and put it back together.... I'm thinking stoves pages or maybe the rugger site has the original operators manual which should have an exploded view off all the parts... sometimes these don't really show the exact position a spring needs to be in though.

I took the slide off of mine and there are two flat spring bars on one side and the upper one has a bend in it and seems to be the spring that causes the decock lever to return to horizontal.... now understand I don't have a clue how you took these things apart, I've never attempted to. Not sure I could take a decent picture to help further... but I'm sure someone else here can.

You can find the exploded view here: it really does not show you have to take all that apart, but as I mentioned I guess you have that figure out:
http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_p95_decocker.pdf

P95dc

Bearcat
That spring is one piece...ill just start over and see how it goes. The one thing i noticed is that on the after putting back together the firing pin ejected after I had put the decocks and spring back on where when being taken apart you cannot remove the firing pin until the spring has been removed.

P95dc

Bearcat
I had the bottom portion of the spring laying on top of the decock instead of inside. All is well now.

I don't know that we helped that much... like I said, I don't have a clue how to take all that apart... in looking at the exploded diagram, do you have to remove the rear sight first? I can't figure out what the first move is to start taking all that apart.

Can you help us?

P95dc

Bearcat
No the rear sight stays on if all you are wanting to do is remove the firing pin. Disassembly is the same as the standard p95 up until you get to removing the left side decock.

In order to do so you have to remove the little black leaf spring on the inside of the slide. You do so my removing the small silver pin that holds it down.

You'll need some small screwdrivers or picks in order slide out the pin. Once the pin and spring are out the left side decock is free and can be removed followed by the firing pin.

Just note that when putting the black leaf spring back in, make sure the bottom (long portion) of the spring goes into the first hole (when viewing with slide internals showing) of the decock. Like I said I had it laying on top of the decock...so in other words the decock should be in the down position when putting the spring in place.

Hope this helps.

So, how do you remove the small silver pin? I'm confused...
I have no idea how to remove the firing pin or anything else on the back side of the slide... all I know how to do is remove the slide, then barrel and recoil spring & rod....

P95dc

Bearcat
It slides out. You need a small pick or screwdriver to push it out. Push down on the leaf spring while you wiggle it out. YouTube has a few videos.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Gunsmiths frequently use gun scrubber spray to save customers money. Sometimes very mechanically folks like to take things apart.

I'll break down one day and watch a video of how to take that section apart... but I can't figure out how that pin comes out.... it actually looks to me like there is a very small retaining ring holding it in on the inside of the frame. Not worth the trouble to take it apart other than to just say I did... and I cleaned two P95dc's this morning....

Here's a picture of the underside of the back of the slide and the pin and what looks like the retaining ring to me.

P95dc

Bearcat
That's not a retaining ring, it's one piece...just push it out while pushing down on that black spring. The tension from the spring is what keeps it in place. Once you get it started you can grab it with some needle nose pliers on the other side. It's really simple.

P95dc

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
Don't take that stuff apart anymore??
Really, the only time that stuff needs to come apart is if the pistol has been dunked in salt water or other corrosive.

My firing pin was fine but the decocks were filthy.

Somebody probably ran eastern block ammo through it.... I let someone shoot some wolf ammo in my mini-30 a couple of years ago and it looked like someone had poured mud down the barrel.....

I'll try again... just to be able to do it.