Ruger 9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Evidently Ruger was paring down the existing model and, in my humble opinion, created a first class, full sized pistol of outstanding quality. I really like the 9E. I have learned with trigger and can put rounds into the bulls-eye consistently with this pistol. I love the balance and function of it. Sold the Glock, which I didn't really like much anyway. The 9E is my choice for a full-sized pistol. Once can pay a great deal more and not get the quality and reliability of the 9E.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
teuthis said:
Evidently Ruger was paring down the existing model and, in my humble opinion, created a first class, full sized pistol of outstanding quality. I really like the 9E. I have learned with trigger and can put rounds into the bulls-eye consistently with this pistol. I love the balance and function of it. Sold the Glock, which I didn't really like much anyway. The 9E is my choice for a full-sized pistol. Once can pay a great deal more and not get the quality and reliability of the 9E.

Likewise. It can be made better tho with some performance parts from Galloway. The 20lb recoil spring and steel guide rod for example. :)

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/sr9-and-sr40/

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I generally consider all that aftermarket stuff just something to spend more money on. However, what benefit will those parts provide? I am interested.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
teuthis said:
I generally consider all that aftermarket stuff just something to spend more money on. However, what benefit will those parts provide? I am interested.

I only have the recoil spring/steel guide rod in mine, so can't speak to the other items. The spring & rod reduces felt recoil, and muzzle flip, especially if you shoot +P ammo. It's not a dramatic difference, but worth the $20 imo. :) Galloway makes good stuff, but nothing you do will turn the 9E into a competition gun.

The other thing I did was glue some thin leather strips on the slide to get a better grip for racking the slide; and I removed the magazine disconnect and did a little polishing of internals, which makes for a somewhat better trigger feel.

Some folks don't like to do these kind of things, but the 9E is not a valuable collector gun - just a good carry/nightstand piece - so I don't have a problem with simple mods that make it more to my liking. :)

ZWfuE0y.jpg

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Hey thanks. Those items might be worth investing in. i will definitely take a look. Just what is a "competition" gun? I think the 9E would make a fair to middling combat weapon. It is quite reliable. I used an old, beat up Browning Hi-Power and thought I had gold. Also an older and more beat up S&W Chief's Special and found it reliable. I would have been in hog heaven to have had a 9E then. :) Handguns don't get much use in combat, but they are nice to have as a backup. There are places one cannot take rifles or one runs out of ammo. Thanks for your help.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
teuthis said:
Hey thanks. Those items might be worth investing in. i will definitely take a look. Just what is a "competition" gun? I think the 9E would make a fair to middling combat weapon. It is quite reliable. I used an old, beat up Browning Hi-Power and thought I had gold. Also an older and more beat up S&W Chief's Special and found it reliable. I would have been in hog heaven to have had a 9E then. :) Handguns don't get much use in combat, but they are nice to have as a backup. There are places one cannot take rifles or one runs out of ammo. Thanks for your help.

I should have said "serious" competition. :) Anything can be used for amateur friendly competition of course, but a truly competitive pistol is one which has been totally worked over by a professional gunsmith who knows what it takes to be competitive. Custom trigger, barrel, grips, tweaking and polishing all the critical internals including magazines, precision handloaded ammo, etc. They are usually not suitable for anything other than competition. Serious money involved.

I know a few local guys who compete professionally, and it's not unusual for them to spend $1000 or more to get a single pistol competitive. The ELR (extreme long range) rifle guys often have $20k or more in their gun counting optics (which can be a couple grand or more all by themselves).

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Thanks again. It's likely just me but I have no interest in a firearm that is not fit for self defense. :) Doesn't make sense. Real competition isn't like that. But all shooting sports are welcomed! Besides, as one ages, eyes age too. haha. I fear a competition gun would do me no good. I do like your idea about the stainless guide rod and spring. I remember I did that on a 1911 a long time ago and it did make disassembly a lot easier.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
:) It's like any other competitive sport - racing, etc. It's fun, sometimes some money in it, sponsors foot the bills, etc. I tried out for the USMC team, at the request of one of the finest Distinguished Marksman I ever met, back in the '70's, but didn't quite make the cut. I wasn't dedicated enough to it to spend that much time away from my family to be really competitive at that level.

Anyway, enjoy your 9E, and I hope you never have to use it in anger.

Btw, have you decided on what SD ammo you will carry? It should be the same ammo you practice/sight in with, since different ammo will have an effect on POI. If you sight in with 115grn FMJ it's just about guaranteed that a 135 or 147grn JHP will group differently.

tdyoung58

Bearcat
Just picked one up myself less than a month ago, very impressed with it on my first range trip. Accurate and felt really good shooting.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I have found Ruger ARX rounds in Cabela's. I have them for .380, 9mm and 38 Special. They are in my LCP now but I will likely use Gold Dot with the 9E. It would be prohibitively expensive to fill a 9E magazine with ARX rounds. :)

Jon406

Single-Sixer
Got to love the 9E... two different 9E targets several years apart... the first one is my new 9E, the second one several years ago
shooting a friends 9E at the same range.

Ruger 9E Targets by Jon406, on Flickr

Jon406

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
Jon406 said:
Got to love the 9E... two different 9E targets several years apart... the first one is my new 9E, the second one several years ago
shooting a friends 9E at the same range.

Ruger 9E Targets by Jon406, on Flickr

Done any after market mods? What distance were you shooting for these? Good hits. :D

I'm pretty much standard on my self defense practice, 3, 5 and 7 yards and no mods have been done to my 9E. The only one I'm thinking about is to better the
sights, for better visibility for me.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I have been also thinking of making the sights on my 9E brighter and or more contrasted for indoor range shooting. For self defense I am basically point shooting but I like to use the sights to get started. Any suggestions? :)

Jon406

Single-Sixer
teuthis said:
I have been also thinking of making the sights on my 9E brighter and or more contrasted for indoor range shooting. For self defense I am basically point shooting but I like to use the sights to get started. Any suggestions? :)

Right now just shopping. I took some hi viz orange paint and just put a small amount in the front sight bead, which enhanced visibility by 80% for my eyes. I'm like you for self defense for point shooting.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I like the gun, and it is only one of two striker guns I own.
I liked it enough that I bought one for daughter#1, and we just shoot the snot out of them. I don't shoot the +P stuff, just good brass ball and Rem GS factory stuff. Not a malfunction that I can remember. Great value and real-world capacity for anything the dogs alert on in the dark of night. Attorney approves for a "nightstand" pistol.

Ruger sold magazines in a twin pack for 45 bucks or so awhile back. I recommend having at least three for any bottom-feeder.

Jon406

Single-Sixer
I flat out love this pistol 8) and now since adding a dot of hi viz orange paint to the front dot, I can see the front sight better.
36402468490_a1659478ef_b.jpg
36629248412_e95f00a60b_b.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
I like the gun, and it is only one of two striker guns I own.
I liked it enough that I bought one for daughter#1, and we just shoot the snot out of them. I don't shoot the +P stuff, just good brass ball and Rem GS factory stuff. Not a malfunction that I can remember. Great value and real-world capacity for anything the dogs alert on in the dark of night. Attorney approves for a "nightstand" pistol.

Ruger sold magazines in a twin pack for 45 bucks or so awhile back. I recommend having at least three for any bottom-feeder.

I'd also recommend the Uplula mag loader if you shoot much, unless you like straining your thumb. :)

http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp/

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Way ahead of you on the mag loaders. I have a pink one, it is hard to misplace. If they made one in blaze orange, I'd buy another.

The Uplula is made in Israel - apparently the US military doesn't issue them or they'd fall under ITAR regs and the civilian supply would dry up quickly? They are good and I've never broken one yet.

LGS price on a new 9E: $329. I call that a bargain.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
Way ahead of you on the mag loaders. I have a pink one, it is hard to misplace. If they made one in blaze orange, I'd buy another.

The Uplula is made in Israel - apparently the US military doesn't issue them or they'd fall under ITAR regs and the civilian supply would dry up quickly? They are good and I've never broken one yet.

LGS price on a new 9E: $329. I call that a bargain.

That's pretty close to what I paid a couple years ago. Good price for what you get. :)