Why not?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I suggest that a new cartridge be developed that is a true .38 caliber, ie one that shoots a bullet of .380" in diameter.

A semi auto ctg. with a case about length of the .45 auto but sized to the new ctg. It would be about .402 in diameter and about .9" in length.

This fills the slot between the 9MM and the .40, so why not?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
5of7 said:
This fills the slot between the 9MM and the .40, so why not?
Probably because it's a "slot" that doesn't appear to need filling.

BTW, in the very early days of fixed ammunition, .38's were really .38" and used "heel-type" bullets similar to current .22lr rimfires. When the bullet was redesigned to fit entirely within the case, the diameter was reduced to .357 and that's where it remains. It's the same reason current ".44's" are .429", not .440".

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I like the idea but I think it has about as much chance for success as the 9mm Federal. At best, it could be a niche cartridge like the .357 Sig.

Snake45

Hawkeye
And then we can have a .37 to "split the difference" between a conventional .38 and your .380. :?

Wheeljack

Bearcat
Take a look at: http://www.38super.net/Pages/9mm%20Auto%20Introduction.html

This round sounds good.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
A "need" that might be filled in the 38 Special line could be a shorter case. That would shorten the cylinder and the length of the pistol, making it more compact. I am a long time reloader and I have seen how much space is left in those 38 Special cases.

5of7

Hunter
teuthis said:
A "need" that might be filled in the 38 Special line could be a shorter case. That would shorten the cylinder and the length of the pistol, making it more compact. I am a long time reloader and I have seen how much space is left in those 38 Special cases.

This I agree with completely!

The only problem is that if it is loaded to higher pressures, it could cause damage to older .38 Sp. revolvers because it would chamber and fire in the .38 Sp. chamber.

So, what to do about that? Maybe give it a thicker rim? 8)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
teuthis said:
It's been done. Just chamber the revolver for the 9 mm. Shorter case operated at higher pressure and just what you requested.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
teuthis said:
It's been done. It's called the .38 S&W. Pretty much obsolete now.