SR9C Sometimes Fails to Chamber First Round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
It only happens when I'm chambering the first round from a fresh magazine. I love the gun but it's a bit concerning. Round will be 3/4 of the way in and just hang up. I have to bump the slide to get it to chamber. Gun has about 500 rounds through it. I bought it used. Has happened about 6 times. Gun is always very clean and oiled between shooting sessions. Should I send it back to Ruger?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The simplest explanation, just to get it out of the way, is that you may not be pulling the slide all the way back and releasing it, since you only have the problem on the first round, and everything is normal after that. :)

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
The simplest explanation, just to get it out of the way, is that you may not be pulling the slide all the way back and releasing it, since you only have the problem on the first round, and everything is normal after that. :)
I thought that. But I don't think so. Made a conscious effort to not do that. And I've been shooting for a long time. Many different semi autos. Never happened before.

timboy

Bearcat
Same kind of ammo each time?
I had a bulk tub of Tula brassmaxx that would not chamber right in my sr9c,I ended up giving it to my Father to use in his Beretta.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
timboy said:
Same kind of ammo each time?
I had a bulk tub of Tula brassmaxx that would not chamber right in my sr9c,I ended up giving it to my Father to use in his Beretta.

My reloads. Which have worked flawlessly in every 9MM I have ever owned, including a full
Size SR9.

timboy

Bearcat
Well that should rule out ammo,are you using more than one magazine?

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
timboy said:
Well that should rule out ammo,are you using more than one magazine?
Yes. 2 brand new factory ten round mags and a factory 17 round mag that came with the gun.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
If you haven't already, take the magazine disconnect/safety out and see if that helps.

I like the mag disconnect. One of the reasons I like
This gun.

louchia

Single-Sixer
My first thought after cleaning it to polish the feed ramp. Or have you tried not filling the mag? Doing so puts less pressure on that first round.