Ruger P90 problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KingCobra

Bearcat
Just picked up a Ruger p90 in "excellent shape" for a good price. The problem is when I checked it, the pistol will only work single action. I have three other p series pistols and have never seen this before. I also cannot break the pistol down to see what the problem is. I know to push the extractor down before trying, in single action everything seems to work. I dont know whether to send it back or have a gunsmith take a look in case its an easy fix. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Perhaps the previous owner disassembled the pistol and was on able to put it back together functioning in the normal way. Take a look at this video and perhaps a few more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWYTUqgcFhs

KingCobra

Bearcat
I just spoke to a gunsmith i know over the phone, he said it sounds like a spring is out of place and wont let go of the slide. He has a small camera he can use to see through very small areas and he said he should be able to see where the binding is.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
i'm thinking it might be the trigger bar assembly...if you take the grip panels off the should be a loop "spring" try pulling that down and see if the slide will move forward, this might be the issue of why you are having double action issues........just a thought.

Trigger Bar Assembly KQ01704-100 P90
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/pSeries.pdf
page 36

if not give a shout out to Roylt..........aka "Mr. Pgun"

roylt

Hunter
Thanks for the props Rob.

The 90 is one I have not worked a lot on but my first guess would be something has old grease on it and is sticking. Removing the grips is a good idea because you can see a lot though those open "windows".

Could be a broken part not functioning properly too with the double action. Getting the slide off would tell a lot.

Keep trying and keep us posted on what happens.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

KingCobra

Bearcat
Update so far: I did what you said roylt and chefrob, I was able to locate a single wire (spring). I put it back where i thought it should go (small slot to the left so it will clear magazine) logical guess. It is now working fine in double and single action but as yet I am still unable to disassemble it. So far we have fixed one of the two problems. I am still scheduling a trip to a gunsmith I know who specializes in rugers to have it checked. I hate to have to give this gun up as it has a very nice trigger pull and will work well for what I wanted it for.

I think you are on the right track KingCobra... let someone else who is familiar with Rugers like this look at it. I'm pretty sure it will check out or they will be able to fix what ever problems it has and then you will be set to go....

Welcome.

KingCobra

Bearcat
New update: Dropped it off at the gunsmith, he said he doesn't anticipate any issues and should have it up and running smooth shortly.

KingCobra

Bearcat
Update: Bad news guys, frame is cracked. The gunsmith sent it to Ruger for inspection and they advised him that they would help me out somehow (although as of yet not sure). He stated that the Ruger rep on the phone said that due to the fact that they are no longer made the frame situation could be a grave one and was inquiring as to a pistol replacement for free or reduced cost (Not a P90) as a possible option. I will update you again when I learn something.

roylt

Hunter
1911, I got mine with a bad P97... I had to pay some extra but it was worth it.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
gotta agree with roylt........haven't seen a cracked frame.....too bad.