Duracoat/Cerakote

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mark38090

Bearcat
Does anyone know if these coatings effect the warranty on an LCP? Mine had some rust on the slide and I'd like to protect it.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Rust it's easy to remove. Use OOOO steel wool and plenty of oil to remove the rust. Once it's clean, you can wax for more protection. If you have time & money you could send to CCR, one of the best: http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/pricing.html

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I used sniper gray on my slide and put Williams sights on it. It wasn't hard to do if you follow the instructions and watch the videos from Cerakote and a few others who know what they are doing. It's 2 years old now and still looking great.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
For my money the heat cure-able Krylon in a can is comparable. There is no non-destructive test I know of that determines Krylon from Cerakote. Just go slow and deliberate. There are some very good coatings out there in a spray can.

Mine rusted on the front part of the slide also... I've oiled the heck out of it and rubbed it with one of those nylon pads for cleaning stainless steel and it looks pretty good... oiling the heck out of the body side of my holster helped to stop the rust from my "summer time dew'.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ruger has no explicit warranty on any of their firearms so "voiding the warranty" isn't an issue. I expect if the the Cerakote doesn't interfere with the guns operation, Ruger will not refuse the repair it.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
A couple of my Ruger AR556's have a Cerakote finish on the uppers / lower's. It's a finish they use from the factory. I don't think it's available as a DIY product like Duracoat and other products

I don't see that it would "Void the warranty" as Ruger themselves use Cerakote on the guns that are "colored".

FYI, Cerakote is tested (by ASTM methods) for salt spray durability, abrasion, flexibility, durability, and is tested and meets the military requirement (MIL-DTL-44436) for signal management for near-IR. Cerakote out performs all other firearm coatings and is the number one coating for firearms manufacturers.

Am I a Cerakote fan, yes. I've been coating firearms for about 8-10 years now, all with Cerakote and have never had a complaint about the product. Others may like other coatings and that is their prerogative, this is still a free country.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ron, I agree its a perfectly suitable coating for firearms, just that some coatings in the spray-can aisle at chinamart are just as good and cheaper. CeraKote has a great marketing plan however.
All the testing mentioned above is destructive testing, and the MIL-C quoted is for clothing and IR-signature sensitivity... I figure if Cerakote were the "best" coating, it would be recognized with a MIL-STD and allowed/spec'd on aviation powerplant & airframe components. For a "best" firearm coating, I'd opine Robar's NP3Plus, a high-phosphor base Nickel-teflon coating which is spec'd on ocean-crossing aircraft and 5K PSI hydraulics (F35, B2, A380, etc) and the airliner landing gear your family rides on. Of course it is more expensive and doesn't come in a spray can! ;) To each their own of course! :D