Slippery slides

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Some semi's just have slippery slides, which with the heavy recoil springs these days often makes them difficult to rack. The SR9E is one of those. There are a number of remedies for this from machining the slide to various glue on tapes. But being a cheap sob, I decided to DIY something.

So dug out some very thin craft leather and epoxy I have on hand just to experiment. Looks like crap, but this is a carry gun, not a show piece. The leather worked great to improve the grip. Craft leather is thin enough that it doesn't interfere with the manual safety.

Saved a few bucks also. :) Took about an hour counting drying time for the glue.

If anyone else want's to do this, just be careful you don't get any epoxy in moving parts, like the extractor.

Same on opposite side, except for a cutout for the extractor.

ZWfuE0y.jpg

louchia

Single-Sixer
If that works for you, great, do it. Also , as noted by others on this and other forums, you could use non slip safety stair tread material. It has a self adhesive back. Also some use skateboard tape (essentially the same as the stair tape. Stair tape can be purchased by the foot at a hardware store. It sticks very well and can be easily removed if needed.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
louchia said:
If that works for you, great, do it. Also , as noted by others on this and other forums, you could use non slip safety stair tread material. It has a self adhesive back. Also some use skateboard tape (essentially the same as the stair tape. Stair tape can be purchased by the foot at a hardware store. It sticks very well and can be easily removed if needed.

The problem with that stuff is that it will take the skin off your fingers, and can damage a holster, since it uses a hard grit like coarse sandpaper.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
Looks like a practical solution to me Gunny...I like it.

DGW

So do I. You can get bags with a variety of leathers for about $5 at most hobby shops. It makes a comfortable and secure grip without needing a gorilla pinch for a thumb and fore finger rack, even with a 20Lb recoil spring. Should be glued on with rough side out. :)

s4s4u

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
louchia said:

The problem with that stuff is that it will take the skin off your fingers, and can damage a holster, since it uses a hard grit like coarse sandpaper.

You can "detune" the surface to make it a little less agressive, but it looks like your solution solved the problem just fine.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
PS: If anyone wants to try this out, you can stick it down temporarily with double sided scotch tape or thin carpet tape, to see how it feels before you commit to something permanent like epoxy.

louchia

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:
GunnyGene said:
louchia said:

You can "detune" the surface to make it a little less agressive, but it looks like your solution solved the problem just fine.
If you the grey rubberized stuff it will not harm skin or holsters.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
louchia said:
If you the grey rubberized stuff it will not harm skin or holsters.[/quote]

I appreciate y'all trying to convince me to use the commercial stuff, but as you can see I've already applied my redneck solution, which I like, and that was basically free. I ain't gonna change it. :)

louchia

Single-Sixer
If you like it, keep it. I don't think anyone is trying to get you to change or do something different. We are just making suggestions and passing on info that someone, maybe not you, can use. That's what we do here, including you.