what is the good, the bad, and the ugly on the p-95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbob

Single-Sixer
Just got one, not in great shape, some pitting, but a shooter anyway. Blk, two mags, got it at a very good price.
I have 2 p-345's, 2 p-90's, 1 p-97, 1 p-89, 1 p-94, 1 LC-9. All ss uppers so since the time is kind of ticking away and the normal??? people have goofed up the BLM land so much with garbage, that it is being fenced off, there really is not a lot of places, within reasonable distance, to shoot anymore here in the Sun City/Peoria area. I thought that I probably keep this weapon for self defense at home and very little carry, the LC-9 for carry & a big old Mossberg shotgun with double ott buck, by the office desk. I have heard good and bad about this weapon, never had one before, so what do you gents think of them??

From your list of the Rugers you own, you might be the better judge of this.
I've always enjoyed the P95... I think Ruger ended up evolving the double/single action pistol to close to perfection... of course since there was no way to make it better the only solution in manufacturing is to end it.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
The Good Ruger reliability, low price.
The Bad large grip and firm DA pull.
The Ugly, some folks don't like the looks..I did...but not the grip.
Geoff
Who owns a SW9VE and a Walther Creed for that slot in his personal battery.

s4s4u

Hunter
heard good and bad about this weapon

What bad? The only bad about the P95 is perhaps the size and DA trigger pull. I trusted mine so well that it became my daughter's house gun when she moved out on her own.

bigbob

Single-Sixer
Well, that is great, what I like to hear. I have NEVER had--YES I DID, SOLD IT THE SAME DAY I GOT IT-- or shot a p-95 and since that is the nine that I will keep eventually, I will take the rubber grip off of the p-97, change the hi viz sight off of the p-94 and hopefully have a great nine mm shooter. I really don't need the looks anymore, just the idea that it will hit where I shoot. I guess I kind of blew it when I sold off the flat top blk hawk 357SS, kind of miss that now but I still have the super blk hawk 44, cant shoot it as well as awhile back but still is a lot of fun once in awhile. I think I am going to keep my P-90 though, got the decent sights on it and grips and I really don't mind the recoil on that gun. Kind of funny that it took getting older to appreciate that p-90, probably sold eight or nine of those and never shot one of them. My favorite saying is "When you quit learning things, you are dead" THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK!!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The only "bad" about the P95 is that parts are either not available or hard to find. The worst unavailable part is a replacement recoil spring as neither Ruger nor Wolff have them.

Not so sure about that.... I suspect if you broke a P95 recoil spring Ruger could replace it... I mean it's just a spring.... Also, I'm trying to remember the last time I heard of a broken part on a P95 or actually on any Ruger P pistol.

libbylibbylibby

Bearcat
It's funny, one of the things I see that some don't like about the P95 is the grip size, and that is one thing (among many others) that I really like about it.

NexxusOne

Bearcat
The trigger has a ton of take up and the grip is huge, but I got used to the trigger and added a hogue onto the grip and works good for me now. The thing is more accurate than I will ever need, it has shot every round I put into it, and it has several thousand rounds through it and looks brand new.

This is definitely a gun for the bug out bag.

I put those Houge slip on grips on two of mine and I'm not really sure I like the added 'benefit'.... the older slick grip I don't really like but somebody a while back posted pictures of how they used a soldering iron to dimple one.