Ruger American 9mm Compact - Holsters

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tonkota

Bearcat
I am looking to get a OWB holster for my Ruger American 9mm compact. Love the firearm and will be open carrying it.

What do you have?

What kind of retention does it have?

Would you buy it again?

I will be taking it to the store to try some out, but wanted a shorter list if I could.

I contacted Ruger for a dedicated holster for the American Compact. No response. I then contacted DeSantis, and they said they were working on one. It is now available. It is a perfect fit. As far as I know, it's the only dedicated OWB available for the American Compact. And Ruger will still not recognize the availability of this holster on their shopruger.com site. They continue to insist their full size American holster is the only choice. Sure it fits, but it's too long, defeating the purpose of the shorter Compact barrel.

I prefer a positive retention device, as this thumb break. Holsters with a retention device are losing favor in the firearms community and I don't know why. Maybe folks are much more sure than me that they will never fall down a hill or get in a scuffle that could dislodge their weapon.

This, from a previous thread...
Finally! The DeSantis American Compact Holster. Fits well. Holster hugs tight to waist. Very high riding. Perfect length.

I have yet to find this holster in a retail establishment, and I don't expect I ever will. I had to order this directly from DeSantis.

tonkota

Bearcat
Thanks! I will have to put some money away for that one. Dang nice and good reviews that I have found.

Black_Dog

Bearcat
I have a RAPc holster from Galloway Precision. It is Kydex with an UltiClip. The UltiClip can be mounted on either side of the holster for OWB or IWB, or for lest or right-handed shooters. I think it was about $35.