I'm a little ticked at Ruger ... (LC9s subject)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, sometime last year I emailed someone at Ruger and told them how impressed I was with my LC9s pro.... in the email I mentioned one problem I had with the gun... rust on the slide from my sweaty self in the Summer time and it would be nice if they came out with a Stainless Steel version... Guy replied that Ruger had absolutely no plans to make a stainless steel '9s-pro'.

Just got Ruger's latest news announcement: "New LC9s in Stainless Steel"

hittman

Staff member
Wadda ya want for the old rusty one?
I'm still packin around the one with the "bad" trigger. :lol: Heck.....yours would be an upgrade.

vaguru

Bearcat
I don't see the Pro model with SS, just the standard with the safety. Did I miss it? Will have to look again.

I was wondering about that... that's either good or bad.... I suspect the pro model will come out soon.... got to refit a little at the factory.... maybe by then I'll have the extra cash... and I thought I was switching to Sigs.

The odd thing about the rust on the slide of mine (this was mostly on the front / side of the slide) is it stopped even though I'm sure I have not stopped sweating.... My holster is a leather Triple K I got through the Ruger store... sometime last year I oiled the hell out of the inside and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
With Ruger you never know what they are going to do.
They come out with different models or variations then they decide to discontinue models you thought would be around forever. I put nothing past Ruger.
I wish I could get excited about this stainless LC9 ....... Who knows maybe some day.

vaguru

Bearcat
5of7 said:
vaguru said:
I don't see the Pro model with SS, just the standard with the safety. Did I miss it? Will have to look again.

I checked Ruger's web site....it is listed there as "new." 8)

Yes it is listed as new, but it is not a PRO model. It is a standard model with the slide safety. Item #3273. Maybe the PRO model will come later.

Mike J

Hunter
FWIW if carrying a pistol with blued finish I find that Johnson's Paste Wax works well to prevent rusting.

vaguru

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
Does the non-pro model have a mag disconnect? If it does, can it be removed?

Yes it has the disconnect. I understand that it can be removed. I have the PRO so I haven't tried to remove a disconnect.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Mike J said:
FWIW if carrying a pistol with blued finish I find that Johnson's Paste Wax works well to prevent rusting.

I use Johnson's paste wax on all my carry guns and even some I don't carry. They usually get a coat a couple times or more a month. I'll do it when I'm watching TV at night. It's also good for leather holsters and I give the holsters inside a dose of it.
Since I started using the Johnson's wax I have no holster wear when other guns in no time showed it. It's the best 5 or 6 bucks for a can you can spend and a little of your time.
I use it on blued and/or stainless and have even put a coat on the Polymer frames. My P 938 is right @ 4 years old and carried most of the time. To this day it still looks like new. On the blued hammers from sweating I'd get a little rust. I cleaned it off gave it a coat of wax and it hasn't rusted since.

DPris

Buckeye
You need to understand something about Ruger.
"Ruger has no plans to...." is very simply & very literally Ruger-Code for "We won't talk about it."
The statement may be true, it may not be true.

They've said that numerous times over the years, and then followed up later on by introducing exactly what they had "no plans" to do.

One personal example is their 1911.
It was quite funny.
I asked my PR contact there (retired now) about the new 1911 a year before they brought it out & got the "Ruger has no plans" mantra.
This, while I knew damn well from other sources in the industry that Ruger was quietly working out vendor sources for some parts & processes to build a new 1911. :)

Essentially, it's just their fallback on projects they're not ready to announce yet, IF they already have something in the works.

Makes it hard to tell if they really have no plans, or if they're just keeping it under wraps.

Also, you can't ever go by what the first line of contact at Ruger says on questions like these.
The CS people who handle routine phonecalls & emails are rarely in the know & certainly not authorized to talk about un-released products before the official announcements even if they are.
Denis

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I will have to remember that suggestion for Johnson's Paste Wax on blue finishes. The stuff is legendary as a bullet lube ingredient already, now it has another use!

Mike J

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
I will have to remember that suggestion for Johnson's Paste Wax on blue finishes. The stuff is legendary as a bullet lube ingredient already, now it has another use!

I learned it by reading the posts of a member over at thehighroad.org . He sadly is no longer with us but he was a one time member of the army marksmanship unit & was sharp as a tack. His screen name was rcmodel.

Mike J said:
FergusonTO35 said:

I learned it by reading the posts of a member over at thehighroad.org . He sadly is no longer with us but he was a one time member of the army marksmanship unit & was sharp as a tack. His screen name was rcmodel.
Aw man, I hate to hear of rcmodel's demise. :( He was on KelTec's owner forum (KTOG)also. I have been using JPW(Johnson's Paste Wax) as a lube for years. Since my LCP has a couple of spots with rust, I used some oil, and OOOO steel wool to remove it. Then used alcohol to degrease it, then applied JPW. Wow, with as much as I used ( the amount that would fit on the head of a pin), I have a lifetime supply. Thanks for the tip guys. RIP rcmodel.
gramps