Old lc9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnnylaw53

Bearcat
I got an lc9 shortly after they came out I keep on thinking I would like to trade it on an lc9s but there would be a great lost. I really never understood the complaint about the trigger, seems to be better then jframes that I carried for many years. I'm sure a lot of people got the lc9 when they came out and I'm wondering how many still use them or have most updated to the lc9s?

Personally, for the cost of an LC9s I'd keep what you got and then possibly buy the 's'.... The LC9s has a very light trigger pull and the no safety model kind of scares me to a degree.... The one slight problem I have is best explained by the last time I went to my range.. I put about 30 or 40 rounds through both my Sig 226 and Ruger P89 (both double single actions) and the decided to empty one mag from my LC9s pro.. and so I drew it out and took aim and started to squeeze the trigger and BAM! Damn gun went off way before I expected it to. My muscle memory was still in tune with the other two pistols and not ready for that 4.5lb trigger.

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
As suggested above ... I bought an LC9 soon after they came out. Shot a couple hundred rounds.
I bought one of those nifty side mounted lasers that ended up whacking a nerve in my trigger finger each time it went off .... like three shots and no feeling in my finger !!! I did practice shooting off handed but shortly took laser off for another couple hundred rounds. Eventually got a Lasermax unit on the front. I like that. Nice streamlined .....

It's not a target pistol. I carry it for personal defense. Fits a nice Cordura holster with extra mag on the front. I see the trigger pull as an added safety feature. A little more effort to overcome "accidentally". If I ever have to use it in an emergency I suspect I will not notice.

IMG_3676%20copy_zpsb2x7uz7n.jpg

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I've had the original since they first came out. It always goes bang. I'm keeping mine!

hittman

Staff member
I still carry mine from time to time. It's insanely reliable. Bet I've got 1200-plus rounds through it.

blue2golf

Bearcat
I bought the LC9s after putting up with the LC9 trigger for a few years and it's been my EDC since. However, the old LC9 is accurate and reliable...it never jammed. I'm keeping it.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
The original LC9 is outstanding little 9mm! That double action pull is very good quality and a tremendous safety feature as well. The quality of the double action trigger is excellent and the over travel after sear break is very short. This makes for a very shootable little gun. Ruger responded to many consumers who were introduced to shooting when Glock was gaining popularity. I am just keeping mine because it is safer and still shoots well.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I'm one of those people who had the old style and "traded up" to the s model. Unlike many others I did not hate the trigger on the older model but I must admit I'm glad I got the striker Fired model. I do like the trigger better.

My feeling, if you can afford the loss on the older model go for the S. For me it was worth doing.

vaguru

Bearcat
I went from a KelTec P-11 to the LC9S Pro. Reason, much better trigger and increased accuracy. The P-11 has the same "heavy" trigger as the LC9. Yes I lost 3 rounds in the mag by going to the LC9S, but the improved accuracy/hitability more than makes up for that minor loss. BTW, I carried the P-11 for 12 years.

I also replaced, but still have a KelTec P3AT with the LCP II for the same trigger reason. Have had that one 11 years. Only problem is having to wait for the laser sight I want to become available for the LCP II.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
vaguru said:
I went from a KelTec P-11 to the LC9S Pro. Reason, much better trigger and increased accuracy. The P-11 has the same "heavy" trigger as the LC9. Yes I lost 3 rounds in the mag by going to the LC9S, but the improved accuracy/hitability more than makes up for that minor loss. BTW, I carried the P-11 for 12 years.

I also replaced, but still have a KelTec P3AT with the LCP II for the same trigger reason. Have had that one 11 years. Only problem is having to wait for the laser sight I want to become available for the LCP II.
I too have a little Kel Tec P3AT and think it is a nice little gun. However, I think you missed an important element. Go the original post, the comment that the original LC9 had a better trigger than the S&W J frame is correct. The LC9 trigger is long, but otherwise a fine trigger, far superior to the P-11. The LC9 and P-11 trigger pulls are really quite different. I can well understand why you would upgrade from the P-11 to the new Ruger LC9s.

steelhawk

Bearcat
vaguru said:

I guess I don't understand why you would lose three rounds in the mag with the LC9s.

Gene Pool

Bearcat
I've just bought a LC9sPro. Waiting for it to be shipped to me. I've had a LC9 for 3 years now and really have no complaints, other than a longer than desired trigger pull. It's been super reliable and hits exactly where it's aimed. I have no intentions of selling it... but might trade it, or give it to my granddaughter.

I've also upgraded my LCP to a LCP Custom (red trigger). Wih my large hands the old LCP with its long trigger pull is near useless. However my wife and daughter in law shoot it just fine. So it will remain as part of the arsenal.

That's my input.

Gene pool

vaguru

Bearcat
steelhawk said:
vaguru said:

I guess I don't understand why you would lose three rounds in the mag with the LC9s.

The P-11 holds 10 rounds in the magazine, the LC9S holds 7, thus the loss of 3 rounds in the mag.

Blackhawk Convertable

Single-Sixer
I was able to sell my LC9 at a gun show for more than the pawn shop LC9s that I replaced it with. I reload and have shot a lot of 120 grain lead bullets down the pipe. Tough to find any fault with a semi auto that just goes bang every time you pull the trigger. It's my main carry gun. At 1.3 lbs. I just put it in my front pocket and within a few minutes, forget it's even there.

mikemx5

Bearcat
I have an early LC9. I never really thought the trigger was as bad as everyone said it was. It's long but it's smooth and fairly light. I could do without the magazine safety and the goofy loaded chamber indicator, however.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
The old LC9 was designed to have the inherent safety of a double action Smith and Wesson revolver. Ruger actually produced a better double action trigger than found in the old revolvers. The goofy loaded chamber indicator has unintended good consequence, it helps to hold the case rim close to the breach face, improving reliability.

Certainly agree that the magazine disconnect is not necessary.

mac66

Single-Sixer
I have an original LC9 and like it well enough to carry it regularly for the last couple years. I have shot the new LC9s and pro versions and would be happy to swap my old one for the much better new trigger version. It's benefit is not worth enough to lose money on the old LC9 however.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have the LC9S with the safety model, I Love it but I am going to buy a LC9 when I find one locally. I would like to have one with the long trigger pull.

Latest posts