Ruger P345 Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
I am considering buying a Ruger P345.
I have read all of the reviews on it and kinda like it..
I need it like I need a hole in the head.....May carry on occasion, but probably would spend most of the time in my truck console..
Any actual experience with one ??
Appreciate any comments.
Cheers,
HD

Heart be still. :mrgreen:

I've been around these and all the P-series stuff. Every one has been 100% reliable, but that's the only good thing I can say about them.

I'm the odd man out, as the folks around me that own them are completely pleased with them.

Good to hear from you.

WAYNO.

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Thanks WAYNO,
I still lurk on here...can't get the old Ruger's out of my blood..
I have had many of the P series, starting with the original P89's which I gave to my Son in Law years ago.. he still has it in box, never fired, or back for recall.
I had several P90's and love them, but always a bit too fat in the handle...hence my interest in this P345.
Also love the 1911 style Colts, but getting a bit out of my budget range now...
Will let you know what I do, and the best to you..
Cheers,
HD

welder

Buckeye
I've had three, still have one. Nary a problem with any of them. Soft shooter, as accurate as the P90 for me, the ergonomics work well with my hand, and it carries as well as a 1911 for me. I currently have it as my bedside gun with 230gr. Golden Sabre's in the mag, light on the rail, chamber hot, safety on. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one myself. The trigger could be better of course, hey it's a Ruger, but all in all I like the gun.

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
UPDATE:

After some help with information here, I went to a gun shop to buy a new Ruger P345 Blued pistol.
Had a deal made for $400 out the door.
Drove up there, and looked it over, worked the slide, etc. and liked it..

Was ready to start filling out the paperwork, and went to drop the clip....no go..I mean stuck like it was glued..
Kept dinking around, and finally using a knife to gently pry a bit got it to pop out..
Repeated attempts showed the same.. so after several attempts to see what was wrong I said no deal..
Turns out I know the guy that was working in the shop.. so we kept on trying to figure it out..
After about 1/2 hour, plus another guy coming and helping we figured it out.
The red Ruger round emblems on both sides of the grip were pressed in way to deep on the both grips, leaving the round tips sticking out about 1/16th of an inch into both sides...
Also looked like some other stuff was not really right either..
Bad bad thing..
Ended up buying a P345 Stainless out the door for $440 plus a free box of .45 shells.
Will follow up with my friend to see what is done about it...My suggestion was to dremmel them off, to see if it will work properly, then sell it a big discount with no warranty.. (Obviously revealing what was done)
Any one else seen this ??
Cheers,
HD

welder

Buckeye
Checked this evening, the Ruger emblems (black) on mine are cast into the grip. Inside the mag the well the walls are solid and smooth. Must have been a running change I was not aware of and possibly one of the other two I owned had separate emblems but I don't recall, not even the color.

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
welder,
The stainless one I bought has the emblems cast into the grip also.
The blued one had the old fashion red eagle emblems stamped into the frame.. Kinda strange I thought too..
Must have been an early change... Here is a picture of mine, as well as one with the red emblem stamped in..
Cheers,
HD
413405587.jpg

413405586.jpg

welder

Buckeye
I've been thinking about the first 345 I bought, it was the non-rail version and I think it had the red emblems because I remember thinking they looked good on the gun. I will watch for another example and check if I ever see another but haven't seen one at my LGS for years. My LGS will usually not trade for a P gun or if he does the offer is pennies on he dollar, until it's in his case of course. Good luck with yours, they shoot very well.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
HD ... I've had mine since '06 and it was my daily carry for 2 years ('06 - '08). It currently has over 3,000 trouble free rounds down the pipe and has been a fine pistol. Mine has the red emblem inserts and has never had an issue with the magazines hanging up on the emblem "tabs". I included a photo of the mag well.

XvzsXgq.jpg

UNnxxFL.jpg