Ruger Customer service fix problem. Is this normal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dale

Bearcat
So I had a problem where there was a scratch on the slide as well as some problems with the sights. Ruger customer service was awesome and had a pre paid label sent. Total turn around time about a week which is amazing. Everything was replaced except for the frame... Now a new problem with the new replacement barrel. There is some good scratches inside of the barrel. I have only shot Freedom Munitions HPs through it and a few rounds of Federal HST. So all good quality ammo. I hate the luck I've been having with Ruger guns. Check these scratches out and tell me what you think.. BTW this did not happen from cleaning... The only thing I can think of is the FTF it had while my girlfriend was shooting it.

skvl7s.jpg

woodsy

Blackhawk
Bad pic. Impossible to analyze. Try again, without any flash, but enough light to see inside.
The way the pic is, looks like a party favor squeaker.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Ruger has great customer service as you have found.
It's hard to tell from the picture what you have there. If it shoots good , functions as it should and it doesn't affect the accuracy I wouldn't worry about it. If you're still concerned Ruger is only a phone call away. I've had a couple brand new Rugers go back more than once for defects and had a few guns replaced.
The little I can make out it looks like it's possibly machining or tooling marks and probably won't hurt a thing. Trust me if you look at anything long and hard enough you will find imperfections.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

If I got all worked over a scratch on a gun, I'd have to get rid of all I have... never been one to have a safe queen....

but welcome to the best gun forum on the internet.... we aren't nearly as half bad as they let on.

Dale

Bearcat
Thanks for the input guys!

Here is a pic without the flash. The scratch can easily be felt with a plastic pen tip so its not just cosmetic otherwise I wouldn't care.

I know it's not going to be perfect, but I'm worried that bullet cases might catch and hanging up on it causing FTF's. Already had one so far in 150 rounds.

155jj2g.jpg

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
That picture does show allot more of what you are talking about but it's still hard to really make it out what those marks are. I bet it was when they were polishing the chamber.
If it will make you feel better and ease your concerns by all means call Prescott.
They'll probably want it back again and replace the barrel.

I bought a (K- stainless)Single Six years ago. When they threaded the frame for the barrel it put thread marks on the bottom side of the top back strap. Even though I had it for years and had never fired it, Ruger sent me a shipping label. Like you I was concerned even though only a 22 I was worried it may have weakened the frame.
I had talked to Gil after they went through it.
He said that was normal and mine wasn't as bad as allot of them are. I've since fired it several times and it's really a nice gun, I don't let those thread marks worry me.

Those are strange scratches to get while polishing the chamber.... it is called polishing not scratching...

I'm far from an expert... but maybe if you or your girl friend were shooting steel cased ammo? My experience is a misfire/malfunction out of 150 to 200 rounds is probably not the guns fault... either ammo or user. On a semi-auto it's easy to limp wrist or do something else wonky and cause the system to hick-up.

i think I might try polishing that chamber myself.

Why do so many folks defend Ruger for such work? Multiple scratches in the chamber that are deep enough to be felt, are not acceptable.

I'll be first in line to buff or ignore a cosmetic blemish. But imperfections in a chamber are more than cosmetic.

WAYNO.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
Why do so many folks defend Ruger for such work? Multiple scratches in the chamber that are deep enough to be felt, are not acceptable.

I'll be first in line to buff or ignore a cosmetic blemish. But imperfections in a chamber are more than cosmetic.

WAYNO.
Some people think Ruger can't do any wrong. I thought that way at one time myself but they've proven me different.

I couldn't tell if they were actually gouges or what they actually were in his chamber.
Yes blume357 I had mention maybe when it was being polished not knowing if they were swirl marks or what he had. If I could see it better maybe I probably wouldn't have mentioned polishing the chamber. Remember the scratch on the slide that worried him.
If they are deep scratches or gouges I'd definitely be sending that gun back for a 2nd time.

I just don't understand how Ruger's quality has slipped as much as it has over the last few years if not longer. It's like they have zero quality control and the people are just there for the paycheck. Right or wrong don't worry about it ship it and we'll fix it later.

welder

Buckeye
WAYNO said:

WAYNO.

This.

Those are tool marks caused by a sloppy operator, probably a barrel that was not secure when the chamber cut was made or possibly a tool failure, At any rate a cursory glance at the work should have resulted in that barrel being scrapped. I've overlooked many a blemish on Rugers and some others but I would not accept this chamber. Ruger will correct it though I'm sure.

One FTF in 150 rounds is acceptable, and probably unrelated to the scratches. Multiple stove pipe jams, or FTE. Would cause me to send it back in a heart beat. Let us know what you decide etc for our edification. Good luck.
gramps

Gene Pool

Bearcat
If it was reliable (with me shooting it) and accurate I would personally keep it. That's all I expect from a handgun. But that's just me. Second, I NEVER shoot steel case ammo in anything other than a Makarov 9x18 and an AK in 7.62x39. In them it works fine. But with everything else steel case ammo seems to give problems.

That's my input.

Gene Pool

Latest posts