Ruger American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I would have someone else shoot it to make sure it's not you. If it still shoots low, send it back. You shouldn't have to deal with this problem on a brand new gun.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
What distance are you firing from and what bullet weight are you using? Many/most pistols are sighted at 25 yds. Any shorter distance and you're going to print low. If you're using bargain priced 9mm FMJ it often has a lower velocity (at least in my experience) so it will print low. 115 grain bullets will also print lower than 124 gr., 135 gr. and 147 gr. slugs. Shoot from a solid rest on a bench at no shorter distance than 15 yard with decent 124 gr. ammo and see if your groups print higher.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
I would have someone else shoot it to make sure it's not you. If it still shoots low, send it back. You shouldn't have to deal with this problem on a brand new gun.

+1
As famous last words and what we hear all the time Ruger will make it right.

pzlehr

Bearcat
I just got my RAP 9mm compact and I have only fired maybe 35 rounds so it may need a break in, but I shoot low as well with this. I have been shooting my Walther PPQ m2 and a sub compact XD with no problems as far as shooting low goes. This Ruger feels SOOO much better in my hand that I will be shooting this a lot more. I started out at 5yds then went to 10yds. I tried 115gr, 124gr home brew and 147gr and they all shot about 2"-3" low. When I aimed higher using a B-27 target they were right in the middle. Maybe it's me with a new gun that is not quite like my others, so I will keep at it and go through a couple hundred rounds and see what happens.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
How small are your groups compared to your other pistols? One thing I loved about the SR series was the sights, some of the best I've ever used on an under $500.00 gun.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
Kenneth L. Walters said:
Mine shoots WAY low. Does anyone make front sights of various heights so I can correct this problem?

Are you used to a 6 o'clock hold or a poa=poi hold?

My p85 requires a 6-o'clock hold. Because of this, the bullets hit about 6in over the apparent point of aim. If you are used to a 6 o'clock hold and the gun shoots to POA (point of Aim) then it will appear to hit low.

There is a good writeup on thehighroad

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/sight-image.654041/

s4s4u

Hunter
My p85 requires a 6-o'clock hold.

IMO your P85 needs different sights. How can one calibrate a 6 o'clock hold on an indefinite target at an indefinite distance. I want my gun to hit where I am aiming and will do whatever it takes to accomplish that. The 6 o'clock hold is fine for bullseye, but not for personal D.

DPris

Buckeye
Try it rested at 25 yards.
7 & 15 will typically shoot low.
Denis

pzlehr

Bearcat
I took out my RAP compact and SR9c,Glock 26 and shot all with Tula ammo ($7.00 a box). I used a Pistol-Training target consisting of 6, 1/12" circles. I try to get all my shots into the circle at 4yds. The American shot 1 1/2" low decent group of 5 shots. The G26 got all 10 in a ragged hole that was stretched out about 3/4", with some shots outside the circle. The SR9c was one ragged hole with 10 shots much tighter and all in the circle. I had a SR9 that was accurate as well but sold it :( Anyway the American shot lower that the other 2. It also shot lower than my 9mm Shield at 10 yds. Grouping was similar between the two however. Sort of surprising the Shield and SR9c can be so accurate....especially the SR9c. Tomorrow I'll try 25 yds.

DPris

Buckeye
4 yards only tells you the gun functions & nothing useful whatever about accuracy or sight regulation.
Denis

pzlehr

Bearcat
The 4yds was a drill, but I wrote what the results were, by no means the best test. I did try 2 different weight bullets Freedom Ammunition and Tula. I fired out to 15 and 25yds. I bench rested the American, still low 1 shot out of 10 hit the 9 ring, never came near the 10 ring, the rest being quite low. I also fired the SR9c unrested at 17 yds and all were in the 10 ring. I have a Sig 250 that shot way high and contacted Sig. I sent it back and they replaced the sight, said the original was the wrong one...maybe this is the case with the American?

DPris

Buckeye
If you're not resting the grip section on something unyielding at the bench & you're not pushing off, it could be the gun.
Denis