Ruger Fanboy?!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CT86

Bearcat
Hi Everyone,

So I purchased my first gun a Ruger Sr9 about three years ago. I then got a Ruger Ar556 and a Ruger lc9s pro. Every time I look for a new gun I lean towards Ruger. I hear about the Glock and Sig fanatics so I wonder have I become a Ruger fanboy? I tested a glock 26, Ruger sr9c and HK Vp9sk and you know which way I'm leaning! I feel like my collection would be complete and all one brand. I would have a full size, compact, sub compact and rifle all for around $1500 which is incredible. My gun collection complete pretty early in my gun addict career. But I do love shooting the Walter ppq m2 and VP9sk but it's not that cheap rugged reliable Ruger. Anybody else only have Rugers or usually go with them in a close decision?

CT86

Bearcat
Lol. I know. My wife has no interest in guns, so I had to break it down into categories so she can understand. Need to find a way to explain why I need 5 more range toys, a truck gun and a backup carry gun. I messed around and told her they rent most guns at the local range.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
CT86 said:
Lol. I know. My wife has no interest in guns, so I had to break it down into categories so she can understand. Need to find a way to explain why I need 5 more range toys, a truck gun and a backup carry gun. I messed around and told her they rent most guns at the local range.

Tell her it's like a set of golf clubs. Each club/gun specializes in doing one task well. Or maybe bikes, you wouldn't want to take a Mt. bike on road race.

I'd call myself a bit of a Ruger fanboy. With the exception of an S&W Mod 67 and Rock Island M206 the rest of my pistols are all Rugers. Ruger makes some great products that won't break the bank and will perform similarly to other big brands. Sure, an HK is better finished but I've also outshot people with $1000 plus pistols with a $300 Ruger. I'd rather spend my money on more ammo than chasing the next new shiny whizbang.

CT86

Bearcat
I could never understand the $200 difference between the glocks/HK/Sigs and the Rugers. That's 500-1000 rounds of practice ammo and a holster.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I am a Ruger fanboy, but I won't buy a Ruger when there is another gun of the same type that I like better. There are certain categories of firearms Ruger makes which I think are the best of the best without spending way more money to get something else. Those are single action revolvers, full size (.357 and up) double action revolvers, and autoloading rimfire rifles and pistols. Of course, Ruger's excellent customer service and very reasonable prices come with all their products!

CT86

Bearcat
Definitely. The customer service and reliability make the decisions tough.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Ruger has top notch customer service and I'm grateful for that. That was definitely a buying point.
Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Ruger. It hurt me to say this.

I have several old Rugers that I wouldn't trade off for probably anything. For many years I was a Ruger Fanboy unfortunately Ruger has forced that to change.
At one time it was pretty safe to say all I would buy were Rugers. I started out buying S&W's then I went to Ruger.

Over the last few years or so I've wandered way from Ruger when I personally have seen their quality slip badly. Yeah Ruger will stand behind their products but it gets old shipping them back to them.
I've bought some Sigs over the last few years or so and quite recently a few S&W's.

In the last 3 yrs Ruger has replaced 4 new guns because of UN- REPAIRABLE defects. That tells me something isn't right and it was time for me to move on as hard as it was for me after being a loyal Ruger customer for close to 40 years..
I hope that I will be able to put faith back in Ruger one day but as it stands right now I've moved on.

CT86

Bearcat
I didn't think about it that way. It's probably not a great thing that Ruger's customer service is so well known even if it's great. I don't hear much about sending guns back to Sig or HK for repairs.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
CT86 said:
I didn't think about it that way. It's probably not a great thing that Ruger's customer service is so well known even if it's great. I don't hear much about sending guns back to Sig or HK for repairs.

+ 1 Amen!
There is always allot of talk what great CS Ruger has.
That makes sense it's because so many have used them especially in recent years.

I've never had a problem with any of my half dozen Sig's accept for a grips screw I rounded out the hex head trying to break it loose. I have a half dozen Glocks or so and have never had a Glock issue.

In all fairness it's not just Ruger.

I bought a S&W M 442 back in late February. It's been @ S&W for over a month and will be delivered here today. The ejector rod was bad. After 90 rounds it had loosened up. It wouldn't tighten properly. I took it apart and I couldn't get it back together because the threads on the ejector star piece were stripped. I tried putting just the 2pcs. together without the rod and spring and it still wouldn't screw together.(yes I know it's a left hand thread). That was the first S&W revolver I had bought in years and I see a big difference comparing the M 442 to my older J frames.

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
I feel your desire. My first was a Ruger P95. Still love that gun and will not get rid of it. Have owned several others over the years; usually sell one just to buy another. I've tried a few of the others; S&W, Glock (hate to admit that), XD's, but the one thing is I always come back to is Ruger.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Ruger Fanboy? Well, if my name doesn't answer that question for you I'll be more direct.
I always look to Ruger first. Every gun I own was purchased for a specific purpose.
If Ruger had what I was looking for, they got my money.
If not, I went elsewhere.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Don't forget about the ruger red label over under, if you need to explain gun collecting to your wife you have to compare it to something she does understand, SHOES, she'll get it, mine did, since she has over a hundred pair, no joke.