LC380 reliability?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
For those who have this pistol, it is dependable? My daughter doesn't care for the recoil of the LC9 but wants a small pistol for carry since ND has gone CC. I have heard that the LCP can also be a bit snappy due to the small size so figured the LC380 might be a nice compromise. If they were to come out with an LC380s all the better?

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
s4s4u said:
For those who have this pistol, it is dependable? My daughter doesn't care for the recoil of the LC9 but wants a small pistol for carry since ND has gone CC. I have heard that the LCP can also be a bit snappy due to the small size so figured the LC380 might be a nice compromise. If they were to come out with an LC380s all the better?

s4s4u,
I recently asked the CEO of Ruger that same question and he said:
"Striker-fired guns are typically "cock-on-close" and, as a result, they require a recoil spring that is substantially stronger than the striker spring so that they can compress (cock) that spring when returning the slide into battery (on close). But the 380 is not powerful enough to reliably compress a recoil spring that is also strong enough to overcome the striker spring. So 380 is not a great choice for cock-on-close striker mechanism. Long-term, we may work on a cock-on-open striker-fired mechanism to try to overcome this shortfall."

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO/

Blackie

4521dln

Single-Sixer
I thought the LC380 had about the same recoil as my LC9S pro due to its lighter weight. I never had any reliability issues with the LC 380