Success with Standard Velocity ammo.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I've been shooting CCI Mini Mags and Blazers because both work real well in my Mark IV 22/45 LIte. They are accurate and very reliable. The Blazers are good but sure do smoke a lot. I can really tell the compensator is working when I use them.

Today I wanted to test some Aquila Standard Velocity (SV) and CCI SV ammo. In the past I was getting a number of failure to eject because there wasn't enough power in the cartridges to force the bolt back all the way. I installed a Volquartsen recoil spring kit with the lightest spring in the gun today and surprise, surprise, all the SV ammo worked great. I only had one failure to eject out of 400 rounds.

Groups were a little better with SV ammo. I still haven't decided to use it for matches because I use Mini Mags and I know they work. All I need to do is replace the spring when I want to go to the different ammo. Takes about 2 minutes and the switch is done.

5of7

Hunter
I have found that so-called hi-velocity .22 ammo is sub sonic in pistol length barrels anyway and if there is a difference in accuracy between the hi-velocity ammo and match stuff, I have been able to detect it in a handgun.

Now that MAY be because I am not a good enough pistol shot to take advantage of the better stuff. 8)