SR9c NIB arrived to FFL with scratch. Send to rugerOpinions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dale

Bearcat
Hey everyone,

I know I may catch some flack because some folks say guns will get dinged up anyways but anywho...

I bought an SR9 about 4 years ago. Barrel peaning issue in the beginning. Ruger replaced with new barrel no problem. Ruger's customer service is stellar. I just purchased an SR9c from grabagun.com. I had it shipped to an FFL dealer near me. I picked it up and paid the transfer fee. Well I noticed when I got home there is a scratch on the slide. Its not very deep, but enough that I can feel it pretty obviously when running a finger over it. Now my SR9 that I have had for years and conceal carried on occasion, has zero scratches. My assumption is that maybe the slide got scratched by the magazine it was laying next to during shipping or storage. I know the SR9c will eventually wear, but I bought it new and it should look new. I am confident if i did notify ruger about it, they would have a prepaid label to replace the slide.

In your guys' opinion, do you think its worth the hassle to send back, or just live with the scratch? I'm pretty OCD with my firearms. Here is the pic with the SR9c scratch. The scratch is near the top of the slide. The next two are the pics of my 4 year old SR9. I was expecting my SR9c to be pretty close to looking the same as well.

SR9c:
n96wx.jpg

SR9 pics

2uzqall.jpg

9hruag.jpg

My opinion is only worth what you pay for it, but, I see the tiny little mark as a non-issue. These guns exist just so a feller doesn't have to baby them. If you never intend to use the gun, and want to keep it brand new forever, then yes, let Ruger rub the scratch out. But if you ever expect to use the gun, or even put it in a safe, it will likely end up with more honest beauty marks than this.

WAYNO.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
rammerjammer said:
I'd leave it be and go shooting.
+1 The scratch is not structural and nothing more than a tiny cosmetic blemish. Your real argument should be with the seller who packaged the gun improperly, not Ruger. If it were mine, I'd ignore it.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I'd leave it too and move on. I've had my sr9c for about 7 years now, and it's a great pistol.

hittman

Staff member
You should ask the seller about replacing it. Make them tell you it's a Ruger problem.

And, it should be replaced. You'll never be happy with it. You'll think about the scratch every time you use it.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Your gun, do what you want. Personally, I don't have any hanger queens, and I don't get exercised over minor cosmetic things. I don't abuse my weapons, but they are all shooters, and they show it. :)

gasbag

Blackhawk
I have only one gun that has no blemishes.
I just bought it and haven't taken it to the range yet.
After that all bets are off.
I often buy a used gun.
They are already broken in................ :mrgreen:

vulcannut

Bearcat
As you have posted the question I would guess it bothers you some. If so I would reach out to grabagun and see what they say first. If they aren't willing to do anything then discuss it Ruger. They have a top notch customer service department and I am sure would be willing to work something out. I know when I took my RAP out for the first time I had an issue with one of the magazine. They told me to keep it and sent me two. Good people there.

It's your money you spent and you spent so ....

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
The scratch would not bother me, but I'm admittedly not at all OCD about the appearance of my guns. Within reason, of course. They can't be rusty, etc, but scratches don't bother me.
I'm only OCD about them working.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
If you bought a new car at a dealer and there was a scratch down the side, would you smile, say thank you, hop in and drive off?

I guess you are saying yes?

What did you pay for, did you get it?

Grab a Gun is a high volume retailer, bet like most distributors they do not even open and look at the firearms they ship.

If you are happy, shoot it, if not contact them.

DGW1949

Hunter
gramps said:
What scratch?
gramps

After looking at the photos, that was my thought too.
I mean really folks...there's a difference between having Ruger address an obvious problem and simply taking advantage of their good nature.
Plus, we ain't exactly talking about a presentation grade BHP here, eh?...and no, it ain't a new car sittin' on the show room floor either. It's just a half-plastic carry gun.:roll: .

...just sayin'.

DGW

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
gramps said:
What scratch?
gramps

After looking at the photos, that was my thought too.
I mean really folks...there's a difference between having Ruger address an obvious problem and simply taking advantage of their good nature.
Plus, we ain't exactly talking about a presentation grade BHP here, eh?...and no, it ain't a new car sittin' on the show room floor either. It's just a half-plastic carry gun.:roll: .

...just sayin'.

DGW

+1
shoot it and forget about it. Like mentioned it's not a presentation BHP or high dollar gun. It's basically a knock around gun and chances are it will get allot more then that tiny little scratch before it's all said and done. I'd bet that light little scratch if that's what it even is could be easily polished out.

Cholo

Staff member
I've bought several new guns that had scratches on them. I didn't like it, but... I see the scratch you're talking about, but that front sight looks like it was dragged a country mile down a gravel road :shock:

Dale

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply guys. I understand its not a show room gun. Say I were to sell the gun to someone. Can I really say its mint condition if their is a scratch? No, I cant. When I bought it, it should be in mint condition. Also, yes it is just a plastic carry gun... that I paid almost half a grand for! $400 for a piece of plastic and a chunk of metal. No scratches isn't too much to ask for, haha! None the less, I was not going to send the gun back for just that. As you may see in my other thread, my SR9c only shoots straight with the front sight ALL the way to the left, which is not even close to lining up with the barrel. My SR9 was just so great, I guess it set the bar high for me. Thank you guys again if you chimed in!

Dale said:
Thanks for the reply guys. I understand its not a show room gun. Say I were to sell the gun to someone. Can I really say its mint condition if their is a scratch? No, I cant. When I bought it, it should be in mint condition. Also, yes it is just a plastic carry gun... that I paid almost half a grand for! $400 for a piece of plastic and a chunk of metal. No scratches isn't too much to ask for, haha! None the less, I was not going to send the gun back for just that. As you may see in my other thread, my SR9c only shoots straight with the front sight ALL the way to the left, which is not even close to lining up with the barrel. My SR9 was just so great, I guess it set the bar high for me. Thank you guys again if you chimed in!

You asked my opinion, and I shared it.

But this is not about me. It is your gun. You are not pleased, and yes, you do have the right to receive a gun in the new condition that you expect. So in spite of what I would do, I think you should follow up on this. Let the dealer handle it, or let Ruger handle it.

The bigger issue to me, is the offset front sight. If the offset is required to make the gun hit point of aim, then something is amiss. Let Ruger know of your dissatisfaction with the sight, as well as the scratch.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

WAYNO.

Spleenless Dave

Single-Sixer
Is the scratch deep, or would a polishing compound possibly take it out? It might shine the coating on the slide up a bit in that spot though, which might not look good if the rest has more of a satin finish though.

Dale

Bearcat
Spleenless Dave said:
Is the scratch deep, or would a polishing compound possibly take it out? It might shine the coating on the slide up a bit in that spot though, which might not look good if the rest has more of a satin finish though.

Hit it with some Mother's Mag Polish. Didn't seem to do much but didn't want to polish it for too long for reasons you have mentioned.

Ruger has awesome CS and already has sent me a return label. Free 2-day air. Can't beat that.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I'm sure Ruger will make it right. To be honest there was so much talk over the minor scratch I wasn't even thinking about having the front sight all the way to the left.
That would concern me and yes I would definitely have gotten with Ruger or the seller for the front sight issue. If it were me I would have had someone else shoot it first but it's to late for that now that it's on the way back to Prescott.
I have gotten new guns and missed seeing something before buying it. Allot of people handle these guns before they get to the customer so it could have happened at anytime.
Good luck.