S+w M=P opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi does anyone here have any experience or have an opinion on the S+W M+P 9mm good or bad my son has limited funds and needs a carry gun I see cabelas has them on sale for $299 after a rebate I'm a revolver guy and know nothing about pistols

Gramps

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
My brother has the 9mm shield and I have an M&P 45c. Both are great guns. For $299 It's a worthwhile buy. I'm not a fan of plastic pistols but I've had no problems whatsoever with mine.

nekvermont

Buckeye
I don't own one but have shot a Shield a couple of times and was impressed with the feel and accuracy. They come with or without a thumb safety. I think they can be had even cheaper than $299 with the $75 rebate. Check out Buds for price and reviews.

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I have a FS M&P40. I've never had a problem and accuracy is unbelievable.
M&P9 should be the same.

REB

Single-Sixer
When I finally decided to retire my SP101 for something lighter I looked at all the compact 9mm. Being a Ruger fan I really wanted to like the LC9 and it is OK but I ended up with the M&P Shield. It just fits my hand better than anything else I shot.

Accuracy is good and it has been 100% reliable with different ammunition through about 800 rounds. The trigger was a little heavy out of the box but it cleaned up pretty good.

pisgah

Buckeye
Go over to the S&W forum and you will see that S&W's quality control is just as bad as Ruger's nowadays -- or, you can ignore the whiners, buy one, and be happy ever after.

(Remember, if a gun company sells 1000 guns, 999 owners will be tickled pink with the gun, while the 1 will post on every possible forum about how lousy that model is -- and the reason he'll be dissatisfied will be something like "it needs to be cleaned once in a while"!)

gunman42782

Hunter
Don't own one but I have shot a couple, and I liked them OK. Reliable and accurate, what else do you need? (Plastic pistols are hard to get excited about, now matter how well they run!)

I've got a couple of M&P 9's and a M&P 45. They are very nice hand guns. Wonderful grip, and reliable all day long. Shoot good too. For that price how can you beat it? My M&P is my CC gun.
Never seen them at that price before.

Enigma

Hunter
I own an M&P 45C and like it well enough. The ergonomics are much better for me than Glocks, which I also own. S&W has come out with a second generation of the M&P, which is why the old models are being blown out. The main drawback to the original M&Ps is the trigger pull. To put it mildly, it leaves a great deal to be desired. A $40 Apex sear makes it much, much better, but still less than stellar. The Gen 2 guns are supposed to correct that issue. Also, there are very few aftermarket gizmos for the M&P. Maybe that's because they're not needed, but that's the situation.

vulcannut

Bearcat
Little late to the conversation but I have a 40c, a Performance Center Shield in 9mm, and a non PC shield in 9mm. The 40c I purchased used and it's now 8 years old and looks new. It's my OWB carry. The only issue I had was with the performance center shield in the the finish on the barrel wore off after only 75 rounds. Sent it to S&W and six weeks later it came back with a new barrel. Have not had any issues since with it.

With the current rebate they are offering on the shield it's a good deal. As being a single stack 9mm the grip is a little narrow but there are plenty of aftermarket option to help that out. I have a hogue grip on my non PC Shield. There is no shortage of aftermarket options (sights,holsters,ect) for the shield.

This all being said there are plenty of high quality used guns for the same or less cost. I seen a like new LC9s for $250 last weekend at my local gun shop. If you don't mind the DA of the original LC9 they are very affordable in the used market. I picked one up a few months back with a crimson trace laser for $225 that looked as if it was never fired. It's my pocket carry. I don't mind the DA of it and have used it to build my target skills (dry fire with laser at home - remove laser when at the range).

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I never was a fan of striker fired pistols until I traded some work for a M&P40 Performance Center last year. Now I own 5 of them. The only sugestion I would make is to put an Apex trigger kit in it.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I was going to add my 2 cents here and say that I really like my 9mm shield except for the heavy trigger. I see I can fix that now. I'm a Ruger guy too but I bought this thing used for such a deal I couldn't pass up. My 1st S&W and I must say I'm a fan of this one.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I bought a M&P 45 Shield & a M 442 late Feb when a local dealer was having their S&W days. Then S&W started a the mail in rebates just as another local dealer had their S&W days. Don't ask me why because I didn't need them. Need and want are two different things.
When the S&W reps were there I bought a 9mm Shied. The following week the wife and I went back down to this same dealer and I bought a 40 cal Shield and a M-642. I couldn't pass a M 442 or M 642 without the lock for 309.99.

I haven't fired the 9mm or 40 cal yet but I did run some through the 45 Shield and I really like it.

That put a end to my gun buying for awhile. I'm waiting on my 150.00 worth of rebates from S&W.

Rider1046

Bearcat
After not being totally happy with an LCP380, I traded it for a S&W M&P Shield 9mm. Liked it so well, I went out and bought a second one without the thumb safety. Now I have one of each and I go nowhere without them. I have a P89 in my desk, a Ruger SP101 in my bedroom, others scattered around the house, but I'm never over an arm's reach from one of my Shields.

Latest posts