P85 ...... brass sometimes ejected into my face

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UPDATE 28 JULY 2017

I figured it would be reasonable to add an update. Since my May update, I've shot another 450 rounds. The good news: only a couple of in-the-face ejections. So whatever got tuned & tweaked & slightly adjusted seems to have fixed things.

Sorry, but just a couple does not sound like a real fix. I think I would have a hard time shooting accurately knowing there is a chance of getting hot brass in the face..... but it's good you are getting closer.

louchia

Single-Sixer
My first thought is to check the extractor for chips or damage. Next, the ext. spring. It may be getting week. Next I would buy a box of factory made ammo of quality brand. There possibly is some variation in the extractor grove on those reloads, possibly some roughness do to previous use. Should be smooth. All of these things can lead to extraction problems and not hitting the ejector quit right.

(( UPDATE: 08 NOVEMBER 2018 ))

I've been fighting this "ejected brass into the forehead" business for over 1-1/2 years. I tried a couple of things since my original post, all with no real fixit.

WELL, I think I discovered the fixit a couple of days ago.
---- With a magazine inserted & the slide fully back, I "finally" noted, while looking down at it, that the top cartridge was pointed a bit to the left of the feed ramp/bore centerline. So I used pliers to bend the magazine feed lip area so that the cartridge pointed centerline, or slightly to the right. PROBLEM SOLVED !!

And I was also having the same ejection problem on my other P's ...... P90 (older), P90 (newer), P97. I noted the same problem: top cartridge pointing left. So I adjusted those magazines.
---- I also did one more mod: using pliers, I bent the ejector tip to the left (slide release side). So instead of the ejector pointing straight ahead, it now points slightly left when you are looking down at it.
---- The P97 ejection is now the most amazing: up and back, way over my head. The P90's, both now energetically eject brass to the right.

Latest posts