Safe to Dry Fire?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Umbra_the_Wolf

Bearcat
Is the Ruger American 45 (full size) safe to fire dry? I read that centerfire pistols have a stop so the pin doesn't hit steel when no bullet is in. Is this true? Ruger American 45 is a centerfire pistol so I figured so

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Does your gun have the Magazine Disconnect? If it does it will say so on the slide. In which case, you may need to have a empty magazine inserted in order to dry fire. Otherwise dry firing is perfectly fine.

Umbra_the_Wolf

Bearcat
GunnyGene said:
Does your gun have the Magazine Disconnect? If it does it will say so on the slide. In which case, you may need to have a empty magazine inserted in order to dry fire. Otherwise dry firing is perfectly fine.

Nah, no mag disconnect. I can dry fire with an empty mag inserted and still without a magazine at all. I just wanted to make sure the firing pin doesn't wear out. The NRA home site said "most" centerfire pistols pins do not hit the steel wall when no brass is there to be struck, which causes wear on rimfires since the hammer hits steel instead of brass. It wasn't specific so I wanted to ask.

I am going to start dry fire practice because I wobble when aiming and pulling the trigger can make me lose aim and shoot a little to the side. I'm really just talking 10 minutes a day, if even.

Mike J

Hunter
Most centerfires are okay to dry fire. The SR series striker fired pistols have magazine disconnect safeties that can cause damage if they are dry fired without an empty magazine in place. If it doesn't have a magazine disconnect I would expect the American pistol to be okay but it is always a good idea to owners manual as pruger 45 suggested.

If you don't have an owners manual you can download one from Rugers website.

Umbra_the_Wolf

Bearcat
Mike J said:
Most centerfires are okay to dry fire. The SR series striker fired pistols have magazine disconnect safeties that can cause damage if they are dry fired without an empty magazine in place. If it doesn't have a magazine disconnect I would expect the American pistol to be okay but it is always a good idea to owners manual as pruger 45 suggested.

If you don't have an owners manual you can download one from Rugers website.

I never thought something like this would be in a manual. Thanks. It says I can dry fire without damage.

louchia

Single-Sixer
If you are not sure about what you read in the owners manual, call Ruger CS. They are VERY nice and helpful people.