New LCP-II jams on last round.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fmgunguy

Bearcat
I'm a Ruger fan and a week ago I bought a new LCP-II at the range I shoot at. I have an LCP from 7 years ago which is "on the shelf" because of the trigger action and kick. Actually, it is now in a holster under the steering column on the Jeep I drive. But, the real carry pistol for both of us is Ruger LC9-S, loaded 9+1. I decided it would be faster to grab the LCP on the column if something bad happened.

Well... went through probably 60 rounds of PMC 380 FMJ, a reliable ammo from my experience. Then, later there was another 20 rounds through it of a different ammo. And, I live in a place where I can shoot without a problem, several mags full did the same thing.

No matter what with the PMC, standard 6 round mag, 6 + 1 chambered - which is the way I carry - or an original LCP 6 round mag, the last round jams while being loaded.

So, called Ruger on Monday..... will be in Prescott tomorrow. We'll see what they do!

louchia

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum. I can't answer the problem but would like to hear Rugers answer. Please let us know.

joemsj51

Bearcat
Guessing it's the magazine. I depressed mine when new, using a screwdriver. I used a few long handgun q-tips to clean and oil the walls of the mag. I was surprised how black those q-tips were. Follow the wet q-tips with a couple dry ones.

louchia

Single-Sixer
joemsj51 said:
Guessing it's the magazine. I depressed mine when new, using a screwdriver. I used a few long handgun q-tips to clean and oil the walls of the mag. I was surprised how black those q-tips were. Follow the wet q-tips with a couple dry ones.

Removing the base plate from the mag is very easy and allows for a more thorough cleaning. Doing so allows you to clean the follower and the spring. You can also then clean the inside of the mag case with a patch and rod.

Welcome to the forum fmgunguy

fmgunguy

Bearcat
An update on the status of this problem. Gun is going back to Ruger for 3rd time. Ammo that jams in BRAND NEW LCP-II works fine in my original LCP. I'm asking Ruger to replace it all with new - reliable - hardware. I simply cannot trust a firearm that has been such a problem NEW OUT OF THE BOX for personal defense. They have not made any attempt to repair or replace either of the two magazines which went back with the gun each time.

When it doesn't jam, I like the new trigger action and reduced recoil compared to my original LCP.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
fmgunguy said:
An update on the status of this problem. Gun is going back to Ruger for 3rd time. Ammo that jams in BRAND NEW LCP-II works fine in my original LCP. I'm asking Ruger to replace it all with new - reliable - hardware. I simply cannot trust a firearm that has been such a problem NEW OUT OF THE BOX for personal defense. They have not made any attempt to repair or replace either of the two magazines which went back with the gun each time.

When it doesn't jam, I like the new trigger action and reduced recoil compared to my original LCP.

Gezz I thought it was bad when mine went back twice before they decided to replace it. Three times I'd be on the horn with the service manager or better still drop Mike Fifer a line on the Ruger site Tell the CEO. I'm sorry there is no excuse for this or the inconvenience to you.
Do what I did ask for a Custom instead. I think you'll be allot happier. I know I am and I got 2 extra magazines thrown in to make up for the price difference between the 2 models.

Good luck.

fmgunguy

Bearcat
Could someone point me to a USPS mailing address for the CEO? I need to contact him regarding the fiasco that Prescott Customer Service has caused me with my LCP-ii Jam problem.... my conclusion is they have a defective engineering/manufacturing/quality control process.

They are in absolute denial.

I probably have bought my last Ruger product... today the majority of the firearms purchased in the last 10 years have been Ruger.

After their handling of this matter, I've put Ruger on my DO NOT BUY FROM THEM LIST.

fmgunguy

Bearcat
blume357 said:
If it only jams on the very last round... it sure sounds to me like it is the magazine or magazines even... or possibly the little tab that locks the slide open after the last round is fired....

The jam occurs while FEEDING the last round. It does not get fired.... does not even get chambered

fmgunguy

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
fmgunguy said:

Gezz I thought it was bad when mine went back twice before they decided to replace it. Three times I'd be on the horn with the service manager or better still drop Mike Fifer a line on the Ruger site Tell the CEO. I'm sorry there is no excuse for this or the inconvenience to you.
Do what I did ask for a Custom instead. I think you'll be allot happier. I know I am and I got 2 extra magazines thrown in to make up for the price difference between the 2 models.

Good luck.

From what I see on the web, the Custom still has the DAO action, which I am trying to replace with a striker-fired pocket pistol. So... I'm going to look at other manufacturers. The CEO is going to hear from me. I am NOT happy about Ruger's approach to my problem. They cost me a couple hundred rounds of ammo, a 60 mile roundtrip to a FedEx office that could handle a firearm shipment, lots of time on the phone.... then they completely disregard the data I have provided them ... this is CRAPPY CUSTOMER SERVICE! I am a retired Professional Engineer, licensed in Colorado, and I certainly can tell a defective product when I get one.... they refuse to even consider it. Really does stink!

Gene Pool

Bearcat
Most large gun companies don't make their own magazines. They are contracted to makers that specialize in their manufacture. Ruger probably got a bad batch from a contractor and their QC didn't catch it.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Gene Pool said:
Most large gun companies don't make their own magazines. They are contracted to makers that specialize in their manufacture. Ruger probably got a bad batch from a contractor and their QC didn't catch it.

That is true most gun Mfg contract their magazines out. Ruger for an example on the LCP has some made in American and some are made in Italy . The SR1911 9mm were made by Checkmate Industries. I saw something about SCCY in Daytona Beach FL and they actually make their own magazines which surprised me. .

Not being a smart aleck but I have to ask.

What QC is there @ Ruger nowdays? It seems to be non existent anymore.

Gene Pool

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk,
For production costs reasons (which translates into profits in a highly competitive business), QC in most firearms manufacturing companies has been relaxed considerably as compared to 50 years ago. With semi-auto pistols they put one round in the magazine, feed it into the chamber, and fire it "in a direction" down range. If it does those things, it passes QC. Now days, not one in fifty gun buyers recognize quality, or accuracy, when they see it. So why go to the expense of cranking quality into every gun? It's easier and more cost effective to simply fix or replace those guns the experienced shooters complain about.

That's my view based on 60 years of gun experience.

Gene Pool

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Gene Pool said:
Ruger Redhawk,
For production costs reasons (which translates into profits in a highly competitive business), QC in most firearms manufacturing companies has been relaxed considerably as compared to 50 years ago. With semi-auto pistols they put one round in the magazine, feed it into the chamber, and fire it "in a direction" down range. If it does those things, it passes QC. Now days, not one in fifty gun buyers recognize quality, or accuracy, when they see it. So why go to the expense of cranking quality into every gun? It's easier and more cost effective to simply fix or replace those guns the experienced shooters complain about.

That's my view based on 60 years of gun experience.

Gene Pool

That makes sense what you are saying but just read the complaints you hear now days that you never heard when there was better QC. As I have said many times once a company loses the customers trust in their products it's real hard to get it back. I'd like to have the money Ruger (and others) spend on shipping guns back and forth to the factories to make repairs that should never have gotten out. On my guns alone they've spent a small fortune over the last 3 yrs or so. That money could be put into better products.

I've pretty much decided and sticking to my decision that I'm finished buying any new Ruger's until they get a handle on these defective guns they are making.

Latest posts