SR9E polishing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Finally found my round toit. Tore it down and polished up all the places things were showing some rubbing - slide rails, barrel lug&feed ramp, striker, etc. Not hard to do with a dremel polish wheel and super fine compound. :)

valvestem

Bearcat
The 9E is a nice pistol, I bought myself one a couple of months ago at the nearby LGS on sale.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
Taterman said:
Is it shooting better now? More smooth?

Feels like a little better. Shot well to start with, even when brand new (2015). :)

I highly recommend polishing the barrel hood. I did this for my 40c mainly because I liked the looks but was surprised to notice at the range it cycled much more smoothly. I didn't notice much difference when the slide was moving back when fired but returning to battery felt much smoother, less abrasive, with a more positive feeling when it locked up. It seemed the gun was not being jerked around ever so slightly.

It's very hard to describe with words but I did feel a positive difference. While it's true they will eventually polish themselves with use I had 5000 or so rounds through mine when I did the job and still noticed an improvement.

Btw I didn't take it too a mirror finish, I just smoothed the roughness out. Some go farther for that mirror shine but I never cared much about that.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
GunnyGene said:
Taterman said:
Is it shooting better now? More smooth?

Feels like a little better. Shot well to start with, even when brand new (2015). :)

I highly recommend polishing the barrel hood.

Did that also, just didn't mention it explicitly. The polishing, in addition to the Galloway 20lb spring kit and my usual lube (Hornady One Shot), is a worthwhile exercise. :)

Taterman

Buckeye
Rei40c said:
I highly recommend polishing the barrel hood.

Barrel hood? Assuming the SR9E is very close to a SR9 do you mean the slide? Not familiar with the term.

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
The 'barrel hood' is the part seen through the ejection port on the slide when the pistol is in battery. hth, Rob

Rei40c

Blackhawk
robmkivseries70 said:
The 'barrel hood' is the part seen through the ejection port on the slide when the pistol is in battery. hth, Rob

Correct, I had to google the proper term for it thankfully there was one already since it's a lot easier than taking the time to describe the exact portion of the barrel I was talking about. But yes this does smooth it up a good bit. Worth doing in my opinion.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
robmkivseries70 said:

Correct, I had to google the proper term for it thankfully there was one already since it's a lot easier than taking the time to describe the exact portion of the barrel I was talking about. But yes this does smooth it up a good bit. Worth doing in my opinion.

Wear in this area is pretty common for many semi-autos. Usually referred to as "barrel peening". Here's a pic of the area/issue on an LCP (looking towards the muzzle end). Also some minor wear is expected at the muzzle end of the slide from barrel rubbing.

LCP1a.jpg

Taterman

Buckeye
Rei40c said:
robmkivseries70 said:

Thanks guys, I'll try it.