do fast/slow powders effect felt recoil?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgang

Bearcat
A question to those who might know: If I were to load a cartridge with say a 158 gr. .357 dia.bullet with a fast burning powder like Bullseye to produce 1000 fps, would the felt recoil be the same as , less than, or greater than that same cartridge loaded with a slow burning powder like 2400? Same bullet @ the same velocity, Same recoil?
Thanks in advance, dang

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I have always found it to be a matter of subjective experience that doesn't always correlate to powder burn speed. To me, Unique kicks harder than Bullseye with equivalent loads, same for Varget versus IMR 4064. In both cases the slower burning powder produces more recoil that I feel. Titegroup produces more recoil than Bullseye even though the burn rate is nearly identical.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Objectively, recoil is determined by:

Firearm weight
Bullet Weight
Bullet Velocity
Powder Charge Weight.

Note the last item, the powder gasses are part of the "ejecta" and their weight contributes to recoil just like bullet weight. Typically slower burning powders have larger charge weights which increases the "ejecta" weight and contribute more to recoil.

s4s4u

Hunter
I think it may be difficult to get a fast and slow powder to run the same speed. Usually slow powders like H110 and 296 need to be pushed hard. I have found that loads with a faster powder like HS-6 have a snappier recoil than H110 and I can feel the difference when shooting upper end loads in both. The overall recoil is less with the faster powder but I find the slower powder easier on the wrists, even though it runs faster on the chrony.

5of7

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
Objectively, recoil is determined by:

Firearm weight
Bullet Weight
Bullet Velocity
Powder Charge Weight.

Note the last item, the powder gasses are part of the "ejecta" and their weight contributes to recoil just like bullet weight. Typically slower burning powders have larger charge weights which increases the "ejecta" weight and contribute more to recoil.

That pretty much nails it, but there are those who subscribe to the "jet effect" created by the expanding gas as it departs from the muzzle and it's contribution to recoil. I have always ignored that effect because I seriously doubt the significance of it and because it is very difficult to calculate what that effect may be because of the difference in burning rates, maximum pressure and barrel lengths.

In my opinion, the answer to the query is.....not so as to be noticeable. 8)

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
All I know is that in a 45, a 230 gr in front of 5 gr of bullseye feels way different than a 185 gr hollow point in front of 12 gr of AA #7. The bullseye load feels like normal 45, the #7 load is more of a "sneeze" than a "pop", has a much more deafening muzzle blast, and battered the slide of the 1911 I was shooting pretty hard. Both were book loads of standard pressure for the 45.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
imhe, different powders create vastly different recoil, or sensation of recoil, even with similar velocities and bullet weights. experimenting with my .454, i was trying a load with imr4227 (i think), and it was about all i could handle, so imagine my surprise when i then tried some winchester 296 loads, and the velocity was 100 fps faster, but the recoil was much easier to handle. a punch in the hands became a push. granted, it still felt like it was about to fly out of my hands, but the difference was significant.