Any Ruger problems?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Just a short survey to see who has ever had a problem with a new (in the box) Ruger Semi-auto pistol.
Me my self, never. Not even wheel guns or rifles.
Thought I did once, but I was wrong. And I own 12 at the present time. I think I had a couple or three
more, back in the day, but can't remember that far back.
Blackie

Tom-R2

Bearcat
The only problem I had was my SR1911 didn't come with 3,000 complementary rounds of ammo. . . . . Other than that, none of my Ruger purchases (I've lost count) have ever had any problems.

hittman

Staff member
Yes.
An LC9.
Light primer strikes.
Fixed for free of course.
Been perfect ever since.

427mach1

Blackhawk
No problems here with my KP944, Mk III Hunter. Not even with my BH, SBH, or RH revolvers.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I had an SR9C that had some light strike problems. Sent it back, they replaced the striker assembly and got it back to me in rapid fashion. Never had any further problems but did upgrade to the stronger spring from Galloway largely because I wanted a firmer pull. The P95 and LCP I had were 100% trouble free.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Never had any problems out of the box. Any problems that occurred later were quickly fixed or gun replaced. Ruger CS is the best.

waterboy452

Bearcat
Yes, for me, with 2 out of 3 stainless steel single actions., purchased within the last year. Both had poor polishing work on the finish. Both looked like they were rushed through production. As far as semi autos, those have been fine so far. P-90, 3 P-95's, LC9, LCP. Still waiting to hear back from Ruger on my SS .44 special Flattop Bisley. It's been there since 3-7-17. Patience is wearing thin, but hopefully the wait will be worth it. I would add that I'm definitely not a patient man. Never have been, and probably won't ever be. Unfortunately, sometimes, that is a bad thing instead of a good one. I'm also quite picky about my guns, and when I spend that kind of money, it had better be "right", or the manufacturer is going to hear about it. If it was a $100 single action, that would be one thing, but a $600 one is something much different in my opinion. Ruger definitely needs better QC across the board.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Tom-R2 said:
The only problem I had was my SR1911 didn't come with 3,000 complementary rounds of ammo. . . . . Other than that, none of my Ruger purchases (I've lost count) have ever had any problems.

Tom-R2,
Ya know, I had the same problem, I forgot about it. The guy I talked to at Ruger was apologetic,
but said T.S. :<}

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
waterboy452 said:
Yes, for me, with 2 out of 3 stainless steel single actions., purchased within the last year. Both had poor polishing work on the finish. Both looked like they were rushed through production. As far as semi autos, those have been fine so far. P-90, 3 P-95's, LC9, LCP. Still waiting to hear back from Ruger on my SS .44 special Flattop Bisley. It's been there since 3-7-17. Patience is wearing thin, but hopefully the wait will be worth it. I would add that I'm definitely not a patient man. Never have been, and probably won't ever be. Unfortunately, sometimes, that is a bad thing instead of a good one. I'm also quite picky about my guns, and when I spend that kind of money, it had better be "right", or the manufacturer is going to hear about it. If it was a $100 single action, that would be one thing, but a $600 one is something much different in my opinion. Ruger definitely needs better QC across the board.

Waterboy452,
11 days at the shop? That is not even worth bitchin' about. You should be glad you have Ruger
customer service. I also admire the P95s. As far as QC, you make a fibber out of yourself, count the
Ruger guns you have that had no problems. :<}

waterboy452

Bearcat
Well, SR1911Shooter, I ain't bitchin'!! I merely alluded to the fact that I'm impatient. Yes, I've had many Ruger's over the years that have been fine right out of the box. More than I mentioned in fact. Most of those were purchased several years ago, some when Bill Ruger himself was still alive and well. My QC reference is regarding my more recent purchasing of 2 stainless single actions that were substandard in their fit and finish. When the final polishing looks like it was done with 80 grit sandpaper, deep gouges from a driver bit that slipped, etc, that is not acceptable. These are things that should have been corrected before the guns were boxed up to be shipped. You may be OK with that, and that's fine. I know Ruger can do better, because I've bought several that were better. I have to say that the SBH 454 I sent back last year came back looking like a different gun, and I'm expecting the .44 special Bisley Flattop to be the same. I am very thankful we have Ruger Customer Service, and I really appreciate how helpful they are. Just be aware I'm definitely not the only one who has had issues recently with finish problems etc on newer Ruger's. It seems to be more common with revolvers, especially stainless. Both single action and double actions. Front sights with a gap between the sight and the barrel. Cylinder throats too big or too small, or not consistent in size. Poor grip fit on single actions(which has gotten better of late). Actions rough and gritty. Barrels not clocked correctly, causing the front sights to be canted. All of these issues are becoming way too common on recent production stainless Ruger's. Most of the blued Ruger revolvers I've looked at lately were finished quite nicely.

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
I have had quite a few Ruger guns and only 1 with an issue. My P95 was failing to feed properly. The slide would need just a ever-so-slight tap to close when it would try to feed the next round. I sent it off to Ruger and they polished the feed ramp and went through the entire gun. I think they replaced one of the springs to....can't remember. Anyways, when I got it back it was better then new. I swear they polished the trigger too, but who knows...maybe just in my head.

Jon

SamV

Buckeye
Not really. I had two guns stumble a few times on the first few magazines. A couple of failure to feed or a stovepipes​. A couple of times the slide did not go into battery fully, needing a thumb nudge. By fifty rounds, all was good, with no problems

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
waterboy452 said:
Well, SR1911Shooter, I ain't bitchin'!! I merely alluded to the fact that I'm impatient. Yes, I've had many Ruger's over the years that have been fine right out of the box. More than I mentioned in fact. Most of those were purchased several years ago, some when Bill Ruger himself was still alive and well. My QC reference is regarding my more recent purchasing of 2 stainless single actions that were substandard in their fit and finish. When the final polishing looks like it was done with 80 grit sandpaper, deep gouges from a driver bit that slipped, etc, that is not acceptable. These are things that should have been corrected before the guns were boxed up to be shipped. You may be OK with that, and that's fine. I know Ruger can do better, because I've bought several that were better. I have to say that the SBH 454 I sent back last year came back looking like a different gun, and I'm expecting the .44 special Bisley Flattop to be the same. I am very thankful we have Ruger Customer Service, and I really appreciate how helpful they are. Just be aware I'm definitely not the only one who has had issues recently with finish problems etc on newer Ruger's. It seems to be more common with revolvers, especially stainless. Both single action and double actions. Front sights with a gap between the sight and the barrel. Cylinder throats too big or too small, or not consistent in size. Poor grip fit on single actions(which has gotten better of late). Actions rough and gritty. Barrels not clocked correctly, causing the front sights to be canted. All of these issues are becoming way too common on recent production stainless Ruger's. Most of the blued Ruger revolvers I've looked at lately were finished quite nicely.

Waterboy,
You make some good points. Sorry about the misunderstanding over the 11 days. Most of my stainless Rugers
are a couple to three years old. I am not OK with shoddy work either. So maybe this thing with the stainless guns is newish. Tool marks and
such out of the box to me implies bad workmanship/CNC machine maintenance and also QC, as in final inspections.
Seems this is specific to one Ruger department, the section responsible for stainless wheel guns. Maybe a little
personnel shake up is in order. ???
Blackie

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
None here.

30 cal Blackhawk, P95, SR22, SR9c.

SR22 does jam when using hollow points, so I don't use them.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Yes more than you might expect over the last few years.
I got 2- Defective 357 LCR's , a Lipsey's Bearcat Shopkeeper (Very Shoddy workmanship), and lastly at least for now a LCPII. The Shopkeeper and the LCPII made two trips back before Ruger replaced them. The LCR's they were determined to be unrepairable the first trip back. After the 2 defctive LCR's I asked for a SP101 instead and they agreed to that. That was one as other mentioned the tooling and machining marks on it. I was tried of dealing with Rugger so I cleaned it up myself and Glass Bead Blasted it before I fired the first round. I've had allot of guns over the years but this same SP had a severe case of needing trigger shims. That gun should have never left the factory but it slipped through Ruger's top notch Quality Control like so many other have in recent years.

In the last 2 1/2 yrs or so Ruger has replaced 4 brand new guns. I'm finished buying "new" Ruger's until the get a handle on the defective guns they are turning out.

I'm very grateful Ruger has one of the best customer services. I'm afraid what Ruger has been turning out lately the C.S people are getting tired and really overworked.

Latest posts