Experiences with the Sig P320?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My best friend is a Sig Sauer guy through and through and recently ordered himself a P320 9mm compact, he is planning to add the subcompact grip shell for carry use. Anybody here have much experience with these pistols? Where are the 320's made? Apparently, they impressed the Army enough to become their next sidearm. I am pretty familiar with the classic metal frame Sigs but don't know much about the new poly grip striker fired ones. Do you think they are up to the same standards as the older ones?

My agency (80 sworn personnel) has issued a Glock to our officers for over 20 years. We had all officers test fire the P320 last fall. Of those who stated a preference, the P320 won out by just under a 2-1 margin (31-17) over the Glock. Most comments were (1) better trigger (2) better ergonomics (3) better sights. Some who wanted to stay with Glock specified that they would have to buy new off duty holsters as a reason.

Me personally, I liked the P320. If one winds up being issued I'll be pleased to wear it. It won't replace the SR1911 (lightweight CMD) that I carry off-duty though.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hmm, 2-1 is pretty significant. I think that if Sig can actually undercut Glock's near giveaway agency pricing they may be the first marque to seriously challenge them for dominance.

The P320 does seem to have a nice trigger pull, however I am one of those weirdos who shoots best with a rather heavy pull. OEM Glock once broken in is the best for me, or a not too light single action such as my Kimber Micro. As much as I like wheelguns I don't shoot them very well single action because the pull is too light.

Toucan56

Bearcat
I have 2 P320's, a full size and a compact. I use a sub compact grip module with the compact slide for CCW. In 40 plus years of shooting, this is one of the most accurate, out of the box platforms I've ever had.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Glad to hear it as that is exactly what he is planning to do. I'm probably going to buy him the subcompact grip as a gift. Biggest thing I don't like about the P320 and it's predecessor the P250 is how friggin' tall the slide looks in my eyes. The ugly corrugated looking picatinny rail on the bottom makes it look even worse.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I bought my wife a P320 9mm compact for her birthday a few months ago. Before we even got to the range the first time, I had ordered the sub-compact gripframe (with a rail) online. It shot wonderfully. She's got almost 1000 rounds through it using both gripframes. I wish that technology was available in 1983 when I purchased my Beretta 92S that I used in law enforcement until I retired in 2011, I would have loved to have carried one of them. I love my Beretta, but her Sig is pretty awesome.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
New Hampshire made :mrgreen:

ETA: Spoke with a cop buddy yesterday who is a SIG certified armorer. His agency went over to them and he feels it's the most accurate, best handling striker fired pistol he's ever shot. Beware the short trigger reset, though.

Sinkhole

Bearcat
My experience with the P320 platform has been nothing but great. So much so that I now own 2 a P320 compact with the X-Ray 3 sights and a subcompact X-Change kit with SigLite night sights. Love them both. both are proving to be spectacularly reliable, very comfortable, and accurate.

IMG_0024_1.jpg

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Was finally able to meet up and give my friend's P320 a try. Within the first mag I was shooting it as well as my Glocks. The trigger pull and feel of the grip is excellent, Sig did a first rate job with them. The slide is a bit wide for my taste and I really don't care for the forward cocking serrations and downward sloping contour of the sides. They should have just gone with the classic P220 series look. Can't have it all I guess, very nice pistol otherwise.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Prices are all over the place on these things so shop around. My friend paid $442.00 at a local shop. Darth Vader's Gun Shop and Range aka Bud's wanted $580.00.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Ruger hit a grand slam with the ergonomics of the SR series, it is sad that they backslid on the RAP. I thought the SR pull was ok but nothing fantastic, like a Glock with a more double action feel. The pull on my friend's P320 feels quite good to me. A little creep and a then clean break, not too heavy or light.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
Can't say anything good about the 320 so.....
The 320 the government bought is not the same gun you know as the 320. Just look at pics of both side by side and you will see.
Government version http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a24852/the-sig-p320-is-the-us-armys-new-sidearm/
The one you can buy https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p320/

ddown

Bearcat
XM-17 means X-Experimental these pictures are released from Sig not the Army when all unit trials and modifications are complete the weapon will be designated M-17 or something similar. My money says for the 207.00 the Army is paying and variety of environments it won't be FDE.