Ruger LCP II magazine dropping malfunction

Help Support Ruger Forum:

James183

Bearcat
I just bought an LCP II brand new and took it to the range right from the store. I noticed that every other shot or so the magazine was dropping. I figured it was me hitting the magazine release so I started holding my thumb away from it. The magazine still kept dropping. So I had an instructor at the range watch me and she confirmed that it was mechanical. Have any of you heard about this particular malfunction in the LCP II?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
When you put the mag in, make sure that the right hand side of the mag catch is not sticking out. It is possible for the mag catch to not be engaging all the way. The mag catch notch on your mag may be tight or out of spec too.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
When you put the mag in, make sure that the right hand side of the mag catch is not sticking out. It is possible for the mag catch to not be engaging all the way. The mag catch notch on your mag may be tight or out of spec too.

That would be the first thing I'd check. Most likely it's with the catch and not the magazine. Have you tried other magazines?I haven't had that problem with the 3 different LCPs I had or have. Watch for that Take Down Pin walking out.