Best Red Dot Under $100 For 9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bagnarsi21

Bearcat
Hey guys, I'm in the process of upgrading my 9E. So far I have installed a steel guide rod and Ghost trigger connector. I would like to install a mini red dot optic but I don't want to go crazy on price because I won't be using it for competitions or longer distances. I'm manly a rifle shooter so mini red dot optics for pistols are unknown to me so I'm looking for recommendations. I would also like to know what mounting plate you use. My budget for the red dot would be $100. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The problem with cheap red dots is they won't survive the shocks of being mounted on a semi-auto's slide. They are OK on fixed mounts like moderate recoil rifles and revolvers but semi-autos beat them up too much. Get a good one and you are in the $200 range. Otherwise you are just wasting your money.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I agree with 22/45 Fan, but I have to ask why you would want a red dot anyway. The 9E is designed as a inexpensive carry/house gun, which means close range - typically well under 30 feet - and you likely won't be using even the factory sights if you have to use it defensively. Practicing with sights, red dot or otherwise, isn't going to be of much help in an emergency.

I'm not being a ass about this, but it sounds like you haven't quite figured out why you bought that particular gun in the first place. If you bought it just for a toy, then fine, everybody has toys. Just be aware of that. But if you bought it for a serious purpose, it's a different ballgame. :)

Bagnarsi21

Bearcat
GunnyGene said:
I agree with 22/45 Fan, but I have to ask why you would want a red dot anyway. The 9E is designed as a inexpensive carry/house gun, which means close range - typically well under 30 feet - and you likely won't be using even the factory sights if you have to use it defensively. Practicing with sights, red dot or otherwise, isn't going to be of much help in an emergency.

I'm not being a ass about this, but it sounds like you haven't quite figured out why you bought that particular gun in the first place. If you bought it just for a toy, then fine, everybody has toys. Just be aware of that. But if you bought it for a serious purpose, it's a different ballgame. :)

I know exactly why I bought it. I liked the way it looked. It was $350. It was the perfect size for my hand. I take it to the range and have fun with it. It's not realiable enough (as far as my experience with the gun goes) to be a carry or home defense. This is for target shooting purposes only.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Bagnarsi21 said:
GunnyGene said:

I know exactly why I bought it. I liked the way it looked. It was $350. It was the perfect size for my hand. I take it to the range and have fun with it. It's not realiable enough (as far as my experience with the gun goes) to be a carry or home defense. This is for target shooting purposes only.

Ok. Hope you get the problems you've been having with it worked out. Busted toys ain't much fun. :wink: :)

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
The Bushnell TRS 25 is a nice, lite and inexpensive Red Dot. I have one on my Ruger Mark III and it has been very good. The dot is nice and bright and I can see it even in the brightest sunlight.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
AzShooter1 said:
The Bushnell TRS 25 is a nice, lite and inexpensive Red Dot. I have one on my Ruger Mark III and it has been very good. The dot is nice and bright and I can see it even in the brightest sunlight.

While good for the Mark III, that would be a little large for a 9E or a pistol with a slide mounted Red Dot. A good Red Dot like the Burris Fastfire III is about 200, give or take.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
AzShooter1 said:
Yes it is but it's a Picatinny rail mount only and won't work on the rear sight dovetail mounting plates for centerfire pistols. Also, it won't take the pounding a reciprocating slide would subject it to. A Burris Fastfire or Vortex Venom is about as inexpensive as you can go for compatibility and reliability.

I've had that Bushnell on a Ruger MkII and on a .38 Special S&W revolver and they work very well there but not for the OP's requirements.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I have found my 9E to be completely reliable for any purpose. The sights are bright and easy to see and the firearm never misfires. Being a Ruger it is strongly built and I consider it the equal of any full sized pistol on the market. My 9E consistently puts rounds into a five inch circle, offhand, at thirty yards with every brand and style of ammunition I put through it. People with little or no experience in firefights too often fall prey to gun writers and marketing. Else, why would someone think that Ruger would produce a pistol that is not reliable enough for self defense?

I agree though as to why bother to put an additional sight on a self defense weapon.

goalieMN

Bearcat
teuthis said:
I have found my 9E to be completely reliable for any purpose. The sights are bright and easy to see and the firearm never misfires. Being a Ruger it is strongly built and I consider it the equal of any full sized pistol on the market. My 9E consistently puts rounds into a five inch circle, offhand, at thirty yards with every brand and style of ammunition I put through it. People with little or no experience in firefights too often fall prey to gun writers and marketing. Else, why would someone think that Ruger would produce a pistol that is not reliable enough for self defense?

I agree though as to why bother to put an additional sight on a self defense weapon.

Mine actually replaced my 2nd Generation G17 because it has a light rail. It's just as reliable. And it shoots more accurately in my hands.

I did remove the magazine disconnect though.