LCP durability, your experience.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldlamehand

Bearcat
Hi, how many rounds can typical LCP/LCP custom withstand, before problems caused by gun wear appear or some part of the gun breaks completely?
I have LCP Custom and I like to carry it frequently but I have read that these polymer pocket guns (not only LCP, also guns of other producers) usually aren't very durable, if you shoot them frequently. My LCP custom is relatively new, not more than 200 rounds so far.
Does any of you own LCP which withstood 5 000 or even 10 000 rounds and still work without serious issues?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Mine probably has 700 rounds through it and I can't tell it has any wear other than a bit of finish loss on the receiver where the slide reciprocates, which is totally expected. Never had to replace any parts on it either. If you can get Wolff gunsprings I would definitely recommend the 11 or 12 pound recoil spring. It should provide some additional shock absorption for the frame and slide.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I have read that some have shot several thousand rnds through theirs. In my own experience, I had 2 that suffered a frame crack at about 1000 rnds. I now carry the LCP II. Haven't heard of ant cracks with it..

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I really don't think many people are going to fire the LCP enough to wear parts or the gun out. I like to shoot but 50 rnds or so through the LCP is enough for one day of shooting. I can't see people taking it out very often and firing a large amount of rounds through it.

Then if you were to wear it out Ruger would repair or replace it so I wouldn't let shooting it allot concern me.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I have a 2011 year LCP and have well over a 1,000 rounds down the bore reloads and factory stuff no he cups gun always go bang
I just had to replace the slide pin take down head seared off at the range
The gun still fired without any problems

oldlamehand

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
I really don't think many people are going to fire the LCP enough to wear parts or the gun out. I like to shoot but 50 rnds or so through the LCP is enough for one day of shooting. I can't see people taking it out very often and firing a large amount of rounds through it.

Then if you were to wear it out Ruger would repair or replace it so I wouldn't let shooting it allot concern me.
Well, I don't live in US, so I don't know, how good is Ruger's customer care in Europe. It will probably be slower than in US, because there is some importer company, which supplies more brands of forign firearms to our market.
I will shoot my LCP as much as I like and if something breaks on my gun, I will see, what Ruger can do for me. :)

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
oldlamehand said:
Ruger Redhawk said:

Well, I don't live in US, so I don't know, how good is Ruger's customer care in Europe. It will probably be slower than in US, because there is some importer company, which supplies more brands of forign firearms to our market.
I will shoot my LCP as much as I like and if something breaks on my gun, I will see, what Ruger can do for me. :)

I apologize I didn't notice that you live in Europe. I see your concern now. I can speak for Ruger's customer service here in the USA. They are one of the best if not the best. Here lately I've had allot of dealings with them. Unfortunately I can see where living outside of the USA could make it allot harder to deal with. Once again I do apologize.

oldlamehand

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk said:
oldlamehand said:
Ruger Redhawk said:

I apologize I didn't notice that you live in Europe. I see your concern now. I can speak for Ruger's customer service here in the USA. They are one of the best if not the best. Here lately I've had allot of dealings with them. Unfortunately I can see where living outside of the USA could make it allot harder to deal with. Once again I do apologize.
It's ok. :) If they are known for good customer care in US, I hope they are trying to have good customer care worldwide. Anyway, If I have any issue with my LCP, I will provide some feedback about Ruger customer care outside US to this forum.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Hopefully you won't have to use them. I can't say anything bad about Ruger's CS, some of the reps are better or more knowledgeable than others but they will get your problems resolved. The only problem I can see is getting it shipped to Ruger. I don't know if they would pay the shipping which I imagine would be very expensive or what all would be involved shipping it to and from another country.

oldlamehand

Bearcat
I think, issues like this would be solved through local gun shop, where I bought the gun.
They probably contact the importer, who replace the gun, or send it to Ruger.
I'm not sure, but I think it works like this with forign firearms bought in Czech republic.
I hope, my LCP will not break. LCP is gun easy to carry even when I'm jogging and jogging with my Glock 26 in the meantime would be pain. :)
Glock 26 is a good gun, but it is aproximatelly double weight compared to LCP.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
As I said hopefully you won't need to send it back in for anything. I'd like to think Ruger has something set up for dealing with foreign dealers or countries.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Ruger Redhawk said:
I sure hope Ruger does something about the Take Down pin set up. Allot of people have reported issues with them me included.
Just cleaned my new LCP (old model). That dang takedown pin was a bear to get started out! Had to work the little screwdriver carefully so as not to scratch the slide - then it popped out all of a sudden so it could be removed with my fingernail.
It went back in fairly easy, but it's still a tight fit. We'll see if it works out during the break in sessions.

My 2008 "1st Model" LCP has never had a problem with anything - somewhere around 500 rounds through its little pipe without a hitch.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Armybrat said:
Ruger Redhawk said:
I sure hope Ruger does something about the Take Down pin set up. Allot of people have reported issues with them me included.
Just cleaned my new LCP (old model). That dang takedown pin was a bear to get started out! Had to work the little screwdriver carefully so as not to scratch the slide - then it popped out all of a sudden so it could be removed with my fingernail.
It went back in fairly easy, but it's still a tight fit. We'll see if it works out during the break in sessions.

My 2008 "1st Model" LCP has never had a problem with anything - somewhere around 500 rounds through its little pipe without a hitch.

I might suggest when using the screwdriver to get the TD pin to pop out put a thin protective barrier of something between the screwdriver and the slide. I have a small left over piece of that grip tape that I put on my LCP's and the P 238.
It works perfect laying it on the slide. It's heavy enough to protect the slide and the bluing from the screwdriver.
Also once that pin pops out pull the slide back some and the pin comes out real easy. When I put the pin in I get it started in the hole then pull the slide back some and the pin goes right in.
With a Tandemkross TD pin you turn the pin without tools pull the slide back a little and it just about falls out.

Ruger needs to copy what Beretta did on their Nano and Taurus with their new Spectrum. Twist a little button and the slide comes off. Put it back on turn the button back and it's locked in place. I have a Nano and that removing the slide set up has worked great.

Armybrat

Buckeye
I put a thin piece of cleaning patch between the screwdriver & slide. Just had to be careful not to let it slip out. Once the pin popped, it was easy to pull out with my thumbnail, so no scratches.

I'll be watching it closely during all shooting sessions. My old LCP has never had any walk-out problems, but a friend of my brother watched his LCP slide fly off downrange once.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
You can use most anything for a barrier to keep the screwdriver from marking the slide. I just happened to have that grip tape there and that worked good for me. It's a little more protective I think then a cloth patch. It doesn't matter as long as you're careful. A little handling mark or nick on this LCP isn't going to ruin my dad. Once the pin pops out it does come out pretty easy. As I said if I moved the slide back a little it almost falls out.
One of these days I'll take that Custom LCP back out to the range and run more through it. Then I'll decide if I'm going to keep it or send it down the road like other guns have gone. I like the purpose or idea behind this gun but I feel it could have been designed better than what it actually is.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Thread needs a pic, so - my new Gen 2 LCP:

3f8356894b61d6d71f33b5650693e1f0ea55730.JPG

daka

Bearcat
I probably have 400 rounds through it, its my EDC.
I shoot it about every 4th range visit, 20 or so rounds a time just to "keep it running"
As others have said, it is NOT A RANGE GUN, just something you can ALWAYS have with you.
No problems with it...."It is what it is"

louchia

Single-Sixer
I had it happen with 2 different LCP gen 2 . Slide down range. In both instances, Ruger replaced he gun. If that happens, and you send in the gun and you need to have the gun sent to a FFL on it"s way back to you, ask Ruger to pay the transfer fee.