LCP Custom getting dirty easily

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldlamehand

Bearcat
Hi,
I have LCP custom and I carry it often. I noticed when I shoot LCP Custom it is getting dirty much faster than my Glock 26.
When I disassemble my Glock after 100 rounds, it usually looks cleaner than LCP after 20 rounds. Does it happen with all small pistols they are getting dirty more than bigger ones? I have only Glock and LCP, so I can't compare with other guns.

oldlamehand

Bearcat
Yes, Glock is also polymer, but Glock 26 is much bigger than LCP. Although Glock 26 is also subcompact, its weight is approximately double in comparison to LCP Custom. So I carry LCP more frequently than G26, but shoot G26 more frequently than LCP.
Standard magazine capacity for G26 is 10 rounds.
I'm not using exact same ammo, because G26 is 9mm Luger (the most common caliber in Czech republic where I live) and LCP is .380 ACP. Although 9mm Luger is much more powerfull than .380 ACP, .380 ACP is much more expensive in my country.
I like Glocks but I have bought LCP Custom as my pocket gun, bacause the smallest Glock (G42, also .380 ACP) is to big for pocket gun.
It seems, G26 is much more durable construction. After approximately 1000 rounds it is more or less without a scratch.
On my LCP after approx. 150 rounds, the surface finish on barrel is scratched on many spots.
But I understand, these pocket guns like LCP or Smith & Wesson Bodyguard are designedto be small, light, easy to conceal and comfortable to carry, not to be extremly durable.

joemsj51

Bearcat
Use the same ammo in both guns - then compare dirtiness.
(example) Federal American Eagle 115 grain and Federal American Eagle 95 grain.

Lastly, you really can't compare a 26 with a LCP. It's just not fair. One costs almost twice as much. So a quality difference on the insides of all that polymer will favor Glock.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
It's probably from the ammo you are shooting. I've seen some real dirty ammo from different Mfg's. I got a new Custom LCP a couple weeks ago. I cleaned it when I got it but I was actually surprised how clean it was coming from Ruger.
I only shot 50 rnds of Remington UMC 380 through it and it needed to be cleaned but it really wasn't very dirty. I expected it to be much dirtier then it was. Try different brands of ammo you might be surprised.

oldlamehand

Bearcat
joemsj51 said:
Use the same ammo in both guns - then compare dirtiness.
(example) Federal American Eagle 115 grain and Federal American Eagle 95 grain.

Lastly, you really can't compare a 26 with a LCP. It's just not fair. One costs almost twice as much. So a quality difference on the insides of all that polymer will favor Glock.
Well, the price difference in Czech republic is not so huge. Glock 26 costs something like 140% of LCP Custom price. You know, Glock is produced by our neighbours in Austria, Ruger is imported from US.
But I havent't said LCP Custom is a bad gun. I like it for carrying and I'm able to shoot it with decent accuracy.
Although many various models of guns are produced in Europe and sold on Czech market, there are very few pocket gun model of size and weight comparable to LCP on our market and most of them is imported from american continent (Smith & Wesson M&P bodyguard, Taurus TCP).
From currently produced guns in Czech republic, only CZ92 is comparable size, but it is only 6.35mm Browning.
Also Kevin ZP98 is produced in Czech republic, but I don't like the design much.