9E Bad Mag or Ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bagnarsi21

Bearcat
I bought a Ruger 9E the other day. Took it up to the range, put 200 rounds of American Eagle through it, zero malfunctions. Since today is Sunday, 99% of the gun shops around me were closed. There was one open and his 9mm selection was Browning and that's it. So going off the fact they are more expensive than my AE's, I thought I was getting decent ammo. Double feed on my 4th shot and it would continue to double feed at least once on every freshly loaded mag. Now I know the consensus is the mag is bad but I have a hard time believing that based on the performance of the gun a couple days ago. Did anyone else have an issue with Browning ammo?

DGW1949

Hunter
Welcome to the forum.

It's been well over 30 years since I've used any Browning-branded ammo, so I doubt that anything I might could remember about it would help any.

There's a lot of guys who shoot the new-fangled Ruger-9's around here, so perhaps if you were to provide more detail regarding your "double feeds", one of them could help.
Another option would be to call Ruger Customer Service and speak with them about it. As a general rule, they are always quick to resolve issues with their guns.

Hope this helps.

DGW

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Current "Browning" labeled ammo is pretty much rebadged Winchester and I would hardly consider the Ruger SR-series "new-fangled" as they have been around for about 10 years.

I would try a different brand of ammo and see if the problem persists. If it goes away, contact Browning about their ammo. If the problem continues contact Ruger.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
Welcome to the forum.

There's a lot of guys who shoot the new-fangled Ruger-9's around here, so perhaps if you were to provide more detail regarding your "double feeds", one of them could help.

DGW

I gots one a them thar new-fangled 9's. Never put no brown round in her tho. :lol: :wink:

Bagnarsi21

Bearcat
How is Ruger with that? I'm going to shoot 2 boxes of AE today and if it double feeds still, will they send me a new mag since I just bought the gun?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Bagnarsi21 said:
How is Ruger with that? I'm going to shoot 2 boxes of AE today and if it double feeds still, will they send me a new mag since I just bought the gun?

Call them first and explain the problem. They may ask you to send the gun and mags or whatever. They'll pay the freight.

DGW1949

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
Current "Browning" labeled ammo is pretty much rebadged Winchester and I would hardly consider the Ruger SR-series "new-fangled" as they have been around for about 10 years.

I would try a different brand of ammo and see if the problem persists. If it goes away, contact Browning about their ammo. If the problem continues contact Ruger.

And to the contrary, a 10 year young design aint squat to an old guy like me.
Heck, I'm still p*ssed about the new-fangled NM-action that Ruger started using in their Blackhawks, when?...some 40 years ago? :lol: .

DGW

hittman

Staff member
I'm guessing the gun has been thoroughly cleaned and properly lubed?
Others have fired it with the same results?
You've tried more than just 2 brands of ammo?
How many magazines have this same problem?

Bagnarsi21

Bearcat
hittman said:

-The gun was brand new but I made sure it was lubed
-Yes
-I've tried 3 other brands. 0 malfunctions.
-I only have 1 mag

Cleaned it this morning. Took it to the range because I had one more box of Browning left. Same result. It actually double fed and stove piped at the same time today.

DGW1949

Hunter
Bagnarsi21 said:
hittman said:

-Yes
-I only have 1 mag

Cleaned it this morning. Took it to the range because I had one more box of Browning left. Same result. It actually double fed and stove piped at the same time today.

Pardon me for being dumb, but...are you saying that a spent round failed to fully eject during the slide's reward travel, AND that the mag released two new rounds at once as the slide was returning to battery, AND that both of those events occurred during the same cycle?

DGW

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
Bagnarsi21 said:
hittman said:

-Yes
-I only have 1 mag

Pardon me for being dumb, but...are you saying that a spent round failed to fully eject during the slide's reward travel, AND that the mag released two new rounds at once as the slide was returning to battery, AND that both of those events occurred during the same cycle?

DGW

I was wondering the same thing. Must have gotten pretty crowded in there. :wink: I'm also starting to think the Browning might be .380 mislabeled as 9mm. :?: Wouldn't be the first time somebody put .380 in a 9mm.

DGW1949

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
DGW1949 said:
Bagnarsi21 said:

...Cleaned it this morning. Took it to the range because I had one more box of Browning left. Same result. It actually double fed and stove piped at the same time today.

DGW

I was wondering the same thing. Must have gotten pretty crowded in there. :wink: I'm also starting to think the Browning might be .380 mislabeled as 9mm. :?:

As in "Browning 9MM Short", AKA "9MM Kurtz"?... :lol: .

DGW

hittman

Staff member
I also wondered ..... wrong ammo, bad ammo and/or try another magazine.

Too many questions left to blame Ruger or the gun itself.

Bagnarsi21

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
Bagnarsi21 said:
hittman said:

-Yes
-I only have 1 mag

DGW

Yes and lot of the primers were miscolored and casings looked used. This box was worse than the first. Going back up the range with good ammo this weekend so
we'll see if it's the ammo or not.

Bagnarsi21

Bearcat
UPDATE:

Bought a box of American Eagle and PMC. Same result. Called Ruger and they're sending me another mag. Kind of surprising the mag started to fail after 4 boxes of ammo. Now I have 3 mags coming, if this problem keeps happening, what else could it be?

DGW1949

Hunter
Bagnarsi21 said:
UPDATE:

Bought a box of American Eagle and PMC. Same result. Called Ruger and they're sending me another mag. Kind of surprising the mag started to fail after 4 boxes of ammo. Now I have 3 mags coming, if this problem keeps happening, what else could it be?

I wish I could help, but quite honestly...my mind is still stuck on trying to visualize how a stove-piped case PLUS two additional miss-fed rounds can end up occupying the same small space at the same time, let alone how a stove pipe and a double feed could have happened all at once.
Not saying it didn't happen, or that your gun doesn't keep duplicating those results. I'm just simply saying that I've been around semi-auto pistols for 50 years, but have never seen anything like that in my life.

DGW