KP95DC and P345

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greetings. I just enrolled.
I have a KP95DC original model (without the light rail or the textured grip), and a P345.
I've shot numerous boxes of 9mm through the 95 and had NO issues with it ever. I hadn't shot the 95 in a number of years, and when I did fire it for the first time again, the shells ejected basically inches from the gun. It used to eject them several yards away, and they pretty much dropped at my feet. I called Ruger and they had me return it and they got it working and returned it to me. In retrospect, I suspect I could have just sprayed some cleaner into the ejector then lubed it, and it probably would have worked fine again, but oh well. Ruger has great customer service.
The 345 I have only fired a couple of magazines through, so no issues with it yet.
Are there any issues other than the serviced ejector, that I should be aware of on eather gun?

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum.

With the P95, no issues I know of.
On the P345, IF I remember correctly, do NOT dry fire it. Something about you possibly getting a "click-no-bang" because the dry firing or firing without a mag inserted may damage it. That's why many folks would never buy a used one or carry one for self defense.

Hope others will chime in soon and either confirm that or correct me.

Seems like there was some discussion of the 345's when they came out for a while but since I did not have one or plans to get one I did not pay attention... but this is a bump to put the discussion back to the top.

welcome to the forum....

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The "problem" with the 345 was the design of the magazine disconnect would damage the firing pin if the gun were dry fired without an empty magazine in place. There was no problem as long as a magazine was inserted and the gun dry fired or if the gun were not dry fired at all. Buyers of used ones were concerned that the previous owners were not aware of this limitation. In fact many buyers wouldn't even buy the display case gun since they were sure previous customers or the store salesmen had dry fired it improperly.

That said, a few magazine-out dry firings didn't cause a problem but persistent ones did.

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
Rugers idea of a magazine disconnect on the P345 is airheaded. S&W magazine disconnect disengages the trigger and does no harm. Also the P345 loaded chamber is a great dirt collector. I removed the P345 magazine disconnect so there is no firing pin damage. Not hard to do and Utube video will provide info on it.
Other than that I really like my 2 P345's

22/45 Fan

Hunter
loaded round said:
Remove the P345's magazine disconnect ( an easy job) and it's good to go. My P345 is my loaded night stand firearm.
The mag disconnect on the later SR-series guns didn't do as much damage if the gun was dry fired but it wasn't harmless. Fortunately it is also very easy to remove.