Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No issues- Functions Well

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Issues-Does not Function Reliably

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vaguru

Bearcat
I really like the trigger on the LCP II, but have read many threads/posts with owners having issues.

I really like the trigger on this pistol, especially after the purchase of the LC9s Pro's, my son and I purchased, they are flawless.

I'm looking for owner only comments on this pistol.

If you have experienced problems, please post the problem. If no problems please post that as well. Also include number of approximate rounds through pistol.

I'm trying to decide the percentage of issues these pistols have, and I know about the "forum" issue as well, where only the "problems" are reported.

Thanks

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
My LCPII went back to Ruger twice. It was replaced at my request with a Custom LCP. So far accept for the T.D. pin walking out a little it's had no problems but it's only had 50 rnds through it so far. I put the Ruger T.D.pin back in and I'll see if it wants to go for a stroll.

First time back to Ruger the trigger would not reset. The 2nd time back the major issues was the Take Down Pin kept walking out. Ruger said it was un-repairable and being replaced that's how the Custom came to be. I was scared to carrying that fully cocked hammer with a round in the chamber in my back pocket.

plunk111

Bearcat
You don't have a poll answer for my case... I had some issues initially (with Sig ammo, specifically), but have had no issues at all in the last 100 (or so) rounds. Love the pistol - especially the trigger! Not sure why some people are concerned with a cocked, hammer-fired weapon when it's really no different than an armed striker-fired weapon. I just bought a Remington R51 (the new version - it's great!) and it is exactly the same - it has an internal hammer that remains cocked. The LCP II is as safe as any striker-fired pistol, imho...

camper

Bearcat
Faulty takedown pin. New pin received today. Hope to try this one later this week.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Not sure why some people are concerned with a cocked, hammer-fired weapon when it's really no different than an armed striker-fired weapon. I just bought a Remington R51 (the new version - it's great!) and it is exactly the same - it has an internal hammer that remains cocked. The LCP II is as safe as any striker-fired pistol, imho...

Most auto pistols nowadays have a passive firing pin block which is only deactivated when the trigger is pressed. This means that the firing pin will not strike the primer even if somehow the firing pin or hammer is released. I think the LCP II needs a passive firing pin block of some sort, the sear is the only thing that stands between the fully cocked hammer and firing pin. If it breaks or malfunctions an AD will almost certainly happen.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Not sure why some people are concerned with a cocked, hammer-fired weapon when it's really no different than an armed striker-fired weapon. I just bought a Remington R51 (the new version - it's great!) and it is exactly the same - it has an internal hammer that remains cocked. The LCP II is as safe as any striker-fired pistol, imho...

Most auto pistols nowadays have a passive firing pin block which is only deactivated when the trigger is pressed. This means that the firing pin will not strike the primer even if somehow the firing pin or hammer is released. I think the LCP II needs a passive firing pin block of some sort, the sear is the only thing that stands between the fully cocked hammer and firing pin. If it breaks or malfunctions an AD will almost certainly happen.

That is the same thinking I have and why I stopped carrying a chambered round when I had that LCPII. It wouldn't have concerned me as much if I was carrying in a IWB but in the wallet holster and sitting on it really concerned me. As I had mentioned before what happens if the sear which appears to be the only thing holding the cocked hammer wears.

I won't carry the Custom LCP often but when I do carrying a chambered round won't worry me like the LCPII did.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The LCP I only has the hammer cocked about 1/4 or halfway depending on how old it is. With the inertia firing pin I doubt there would be enough energy in a half cocked hammer to fire a round.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
The LCP I only has the hammer cocked about 1/4 or halfway depending on how old it is. With the inertia firing pin I doubt there would be enough energy in a half cocked hammer to fire a round.
+1

Even this Customs trigger pull which is a big improvement over my very earlyproduction LCP it takes more than just barely squeezing the trigger for it to fire. You're basically shooting it double action where that LCPII was to much like carrying a single action with no safety.
I'm not going to carry a Old Model S/A around with the hammer cocked.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
camper said:
Faulty takedown pin. New pin received today. Hope to try this one later this week.

Camper I hope that solves your problem. I'm really anxious to see. I tried a couple different Ruger pins and that Tandemkross which did nothing in my LCPII. One of the Ruger pins was one that Ruger had just sent me a week or two earlier. I'll be willing to bet it's that wire in the polymer frame that's the culprit.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Buckeye, I agree that it is possibly the spring that is the issue. Actually, it is not located in the polymer frame. It is located in a recess in the metal frame insert, or chassis as some call it. Either way, if the spring does not move as it should to hole the pin, that might be the issue.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Only about three hundred rounds thru mine but it has ran flawlessly. I've ran mostly WW white box thru it. I have ran 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense and 20 rounds of Sig self defense thur it with no issues what so ever. Great little pocket gun. I like it much better than the LCP I

5of7

Hunter
I bought one and I honestly don't see the advantage to it over the LCP that I already have. The LCP that I have been carrying is the version with the hammer 1/2 cocked and while the LCPII does have a better trigger, it is not by all that much.

I took it to the range and shot a couple of magazines of Blazer ammo in it with no malfunctions and a magazine of the ARX ammo that I prefer to carry and there are no problems.

At 20 feet, it is spot on POA and grouped at about 2" at that range.

I cleaned it, put it back in the box, and will probably trade it off at the next gun show. 8)

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I saw a big difference in the triggers between the LCPII and my very early production LCP. The one and only LCP I had ever fired since the LCP's were released was my early model LCP with the horrible trigger. So anything was going to be an improvement.

I was surprised the difference when I fired the LCPII for the first time.
But now after getting the Custom as a replacement for the defective LCPII there really isn't all that much difference between the two of them.
What I like about the Custom is I'm not walking around with a fully cocked trigger in my rear pocket.

I'll probably take it to the range another time or two. If I have more problems with the take down pin walking out or any problems it's gone.
I only put 50 rnd through the Custom so far and the pin did walk out but I was using a Tandemkross pin. I put the Ruger pin back in. That will be the deciding point if I keep it or it goes on it's merry ol'e way.

AnonDefense2

Bearcat
I've owned my LCP 2 for about a month and a half now and put quite a few rounds through it. I've had no problems whatsoever. The only modification I've done was to put some bright red nail polish on the front sight for a better sight picture. I absolutely love this pistol. In fact I'll be ordering the Viridian Reactor R5-LCPII laser for it soon as it just released in the last week or so.