RAP in 45acp or ruger 1911, who has shot both-likes/dislikes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rob-c

Single-Sixer
I am a revolver guy,but I am looking into getting my first semi-auto. I have shot a rock island arms 1911 and liked it,( if I do buy a 1911 it would be a SR 1911) but the new ruger American has really caught my eye.so if any one has shot both what did you like or dislike about the RAP or the 1911. This gun will be a range gun and most likely sit in my bedside pistol safe for a home defense gun. Thanks all..

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
rob-c said:
I am a revolver guy,but I am looking into getting my first semi-auto. I have shot a rock island arms 1911 and liked it,( if I do buy a 1911 it would be a SR 1911) but the new ruger American has really caught my eye.so if any one has shot both what did you like or dislike about the RAP or the 1911. This gun will be a range gun and most likely sit in my bedside pistol safe for a home defense gun. Thanks all..

"Rob=c"
I am probably not gonna be much help here. I have 6 Rock island 1911s. I also have
three Ruger SR1911s. For a range gun, I would pick the RIA .22TCM/9MM. (google it)
If you get the HiCap gun you get 17+1. Mucho fun for a range gun, and
for a bedside pistol also. I also carry my RIA .22TCM/9MM in 9MM mode. It has not
had a glitch yet. Plus RIA gives great customer service. As you can tell, I am a 1911 lover.
Not so much for "plastic" guns. However in Ruger's favour, I have never had a bad Ruger.
And I own 10 of them in various flavours. Had a "Brain Fart" and gave my Ruger P95 to
my grand daughter. Add insult to injury, she shoots it ten times better than I do.
Blackie

Rei40c

Blackhawk
SR1911SHOOTER said:
rob-c said:
"Rob=c"
I am probably not gonna be much help here. I have 6 Rock island 1911s. I also have
three Ruger SR1911s. For a range gun, I would pick the RIA .22TCM/9MM. (google it)

That is very interesting indeed. At first I was confused about the difference in capacity betwee the .22 TCM and 9mm then I saw they made both casings the same diameter so it's the same. I've also never heard of a .22 TCM round before but the idea of a .22 bullet with 2000 fps from a pistol is pretty amazing. It also appears to be a very well made piece. I want one. :shock:

Question for you. How would you describe the recoil of the .22 TCM compared to a 9mm or even a .45 ACP?

James

Bearcat
rob-c said:

First off you won't go wrong with either choice, both the SR1911 and the American are fine guns, i have both in 45acp and love em. Both are well priced and well built and i recommend them both. For the purpose you stated i think i might tend to recommend the Ruger American a bit more, i have been using mine for every day carry of up to 14 hours a day. Hides well in my IWB holster and after the first week you forget that it is even there.

Mine is the compact model with no manual safety, built like the Glock and is pretty much a grab it, point it, and shoot which makes it quite good as a defense gun and 11 rounds in 45acp ain't bad either...Has a very nice trigger pull which is both short and easy, not quite as good as the 1911, but then again you really don't want it to easy on a carry defense gun either. You can also get the American with a manual safety if you choose or you can get it in 40S&W.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Thanks James
Yeah i figured I couldn't go wrong with either and that's what's making my decision hard. I have all ways wanted a 1911 but realy liking the ruger American, maybe if I can get the boss to sign off on it maybe both will be in my future .

James

Bearcat
Let's hope such is in your future. The Ruger SR1911 is a great gun, well built, looks beautiful shoots like a dream and is defiantly what you want for target shooting. Also is a good carry gun, but as i said i think between the two that the American would be probably the best of the two for your purposes. Good luck getting the boss to ok the second purchase, but just a bit of advise there, if she gets into shooting she will probably snag on to one of them as HER gun...(G) That is what happened to me, i bought her a compact 9mm, but the first time she shot my 45 it turned into her gun and i had to buy me another... :roll:

rob-c

Single-Sixer
James oh no she has her own, GP-100 , lcr 38 +p and a lc380. Now not saying I won't have to buy her another one but these would be mine. :mrgreen:

James

Bearcat
Uuuuuh... that is what i thought too :roll: If she has no trouble shooting that 38 +P then she will have no problem at all shooting a 45acp so i wouldn't go around offering to let her shoot your 45 unless your willing to buy a second one :mrgreen: Glad to see your boss isn't an anti gunner, the family that shoots together stays together...

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Nope she bow hunts and loves gun hunting with the revolvers .