LCP 2 Fans

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AnonDefense2

Bearcat
Hey everyone, I've only been a member of this forum for a little while, but I've been shooting nearly 20 years and I've found myself perusing the forum every now and then when I'm looking at getting a new child... I mean firearm haha..

But the bad jokes aside, I've been seeing people posting recently that they have been having problems with the LCP 2. I have owned one for several weeks now and I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the possible exception of the fact that I put some flourescent paint on the front sight. It will happily digest whatever ammo I feed it, it is comfortable in my hands and in my pocket, the new slide stop feature is absolutely amazing, and it shoots reliably and accurately.

Who else is having this experience with it?

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I can't speak for all of them but the one I had I'm glad it's gone and going to be destroyed by Ruger.
I have to admit though it did shoot good for what it was and never had a stoppage.
However if you read some of these threads you'll probably see more then you want about LCPII problems.

They might be for some people I just wasn't one of them. On a positive note Ruger does stand behind them and will make it right repairing or replacing them.

By the way welcome to the forum.

AnonDefense2

Bearcat
Oh I'm certain that as with anything there will be lemons in production. And this is a very new pistol so it probably should be understood that there will be quirks and bugs in the first few models. It's unfortunate that it is that way, but there are just some bugs you can't always weed out on the R&D or production floor.

Like I said, I got a good one. No mechanical problems whatsoever. So I should consider myself lucky that I got one that was up to snuff

lolbell

Single-Sixer
AnonDefense2 said:
I've been seeing people posting recently that they have been having problems with the LCP 2. I have owned one for several weeks now and I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the possible exception of the fact that I put some flourescent paint on the front sight. It will happily digest whatever ammo I feed it, it is comfortable in my hands and in my pocket, the new slide stop feature is absolutely amazing, and it shoots reliably and accurately.

Who else is having this experience with it?

I have had an LCP II for a couple of months now and have had absolutely no problems with it. It has digested everything I have fed it without a single hic-up. The ONLY flaw I've see in mine is that using the sights it shoots about 3" low and left at 15 yards. To me that is a none issue, it's not a target gun.

Kodiak

Bearcat
I have had mine about 2 months now with about 80 rounds through it and it also eats anything I feed it. Love the size and ease of concealment. My only issue, and I seem to be the only one, is I get pretty severe trigger slap which stings the pad of my trigger finger with every shot. Maybe it's because I'm a lefty? I may give Ruger a call and see if there is a fix. But besides that, it is an amazing little gun.

camper

Bearcat
Took my LCP II out this morning and put about 40 rounds through it. After the first ten rounds, the take down pin fell out and the slide also ended up on the ground. A few minutes later found the TD pin in the grass and put all back together and put 30 more rounds through it with no further problems. Will talk to Ruger in the morning to get a few spare TD pins and see what they are doing to resolve this problem. This is the second time this has happened, but the first time it did not fully leave the pistol. Will still use it as my church carry, but putting the G42 on primary carry duty now.

AnonDefense2

Bearcat
camper said:
Took my LCP II out this morning and put about 40 rounds through it. After the first ten rounds, the take down pin fell out and the slide also ended up on the ground. A few minutes later found the TD pin in the grass and put all back together and put 30 more rounds through it with no further problems. Will talk to Ruger in the morning to get a few spare TD pins and see what they are doing to resolve this problem. This is the second time this has happened, but the first time it did not fully leave the pistol. Will still use it as my church carry, but putting the G42 on primary carry duty now.

I've been hearing about take-down pins falling out for a few people. I haven't experienced this yet. Like I said, I've had no issues. If it does ever happen I'll definitely give Ruger a call. So far my experience has been nothing but bananas and pajamas.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I caught mine a few times before it came completely out. The first time it happened it was probably out a 1/4" or more. I pushed it in and it walked out again.
As I had posted I tried a couple different Ruger TD pins and had bought a Tandemkross pin which did nothing.
So speaking from experience it's not the TD Pins but the wire that's molded in the polymer frame. I'm pretty sure that the wire is not replaceable or repairable and was the reason Ruger replaced the gun. Mike Fifer is aware of the TD Pin problems. Ruger needs to copy what Beretta has on their Nano and Taurus has on their Spectrum. I have a Nano and that Take Down set up they have works great.

The replacement gun I put the Tandemkross pin I had in it. I put it in then when I turn it to lock it in place you can feel it clicking in. I wouldn't wait I'd called Ruger and get it taken care of before someone gets hurt. You'll probably end up with a new gun.

camper

Bearcat
Ruger Redhawk: What you stated above is exactly what happened to me. Time got away from me today and I'll call Ruger in the morning.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
camper said:
Ruger Redhawk: What you stated above is exactly what happened to me. Time got away from me today and I'll call Ruger in the morning.

Good deal let us know what Ruger has to say. I'm sure they will be sending you a shipping label a few minutes after you get off the phone with them.

I'm going try to go shoot that replacement Custom LCP and most likely that new 45 Shield I picked up last week later this morning.

camper

Bearcat
For now, they are sending a replacement pin. My call on this since they also offered to send me a shipping label. Hopefully the new pin will work, but if not I will have established a case for this problem. Agree with Ruger Redhawk that it is probably the small retaining spring that is not doing it's job. Been carrying the G42 and feel very comfortable with it.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Ruger Redhawk said:
I caught mine a few times before it came completely out. The first time it happened it was probably out a 1/4" or more. I pushed it in and it walked out again.
As I had posted I tried a couple different Ruger TD pins and had bought a Tandemkross pin which did nothing.
So speaking from experience it's not the TD Pins but the wire that's molded in the polymer frame. I'm pretty sure that the wire is not replaceable or repairable and was the reason Ruger replaced the gun. Mike Fifer is aware of the TD Pin problems. Ruger needs to copy what Beretta has on their Nano and Taurus has on their Spectrum. I have a Nano and that Take Down set up they have works great.

The replacement gun I put the Tandemkross pin I had in it. I put it in then when I turn it to lock it in place you can feel it clicking in. I wouldn't wait I'd called Ruger and get it taken care of before someone gets hurt. You'll probably end up with a new gun.

The take down pin is not molded into the polymer frame. It sits on the side of the metal frame insert. I agree that it could possibly be the problem.However, it is more than likely that something is slightly out of spec causing the pin to move laterally. One thing to look for is if you see wear marks on either of the holes that hold the pin in place.Possibly, the one on the left side shows clean metal of even a bur indicating a problem.
The Tamdonkross pin does not work because the pin rotates as the barrel moves. It unlocks itself.
If it happens again, send it in. I've done so more than once. The guns were replaced.